Homemade Pizza anyone.

jimfet

Lunatic Member
I keep everything ready in the fridge. While the stone is heating, I'm throwing the pizza together.

The dough is half of a 1lb pizza ball from Harris Teeter.

The sauce is Fermano's heavy pizza sauce, that I doctor up. I buy it by the 102 oz can.

First I top with cut up Canadian bacon. Then cooked italian sausage I keep ready in the fridge.

Throw the 4 cheese italian blend on top of that, and cover with pepperoni.

Then bake at 420° for around 15 min. I have a double oven and I use the smaller top oven for pizza's only. The well seasoned stone, stays in there.

I haven't had a take out or frozen pizza in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
My family makes a version of white pizza where we brush the dough (including the crust) with a mixture of melted butter and Garlic and coat it in mozzarella cheese... yum! sometimes we even stuff the crust with mozzarella cheese :).

Did this last night, actually. I'm converted! I might still order out due to laziness but I'm a fan.

imready should chime in soon. He's all about the homemade pizzas. He taught me about prebaking the crust.

jimfet, have you calculated the cost of one pizza? Are you saving money?

I don't have any pics but I do everything including the dough from scratch, except the cheese.

I use 2 cups Bread Flour and 2 cups of Whole Wheat flour.
I put Parsley, Oregano, and basil, dried and crumbled in the flour with a touch of salt. We grow the herbs.

I take luke warm water and a half teaspoon of sugar to proof a packet and a half of quick rise yeast.

I make the dough a day ahead and let it set in the fridge overnight. The day I will cook it, I take it out of the fridge, punch it down and let it rise again.

When the dough is rolled out to the size of my stone it first gets a coating of my wife's home made infused olive oil. Then it gets a good smearing of roasted garlic, which we also grow.

Next up is any meat or veggies. Then the cheese, which is usually a bag of some blend of several.

On top of that is our own home made sauce.

I heat the stone to 500 for an hour and the pies take between 8 and 10 minutes to cook.

Nothing like home made pies!

I keep everything ready in the fridge. While the stone is heating, I'm throwing the pizza together.

The dough is half of a 1lb pizza ball from Harris Teeter.

The sauce is Fernado's heavy pizza sauce, that I doctor up. I buy it by the 102 oz can.

First I top with cut up Canadian bacon. Then cooked italian sausage I keep ready in the fridge.

Throw the 4 cheese italian blend on top of that, and cover with pepperoni.

Then bake at 420° for around 15 min. I have a double oven and I use the smaller top oven for pizza's only. The well seasoned stone, stays in there.

I haven't had a take out or frozen pizza in a while.

That looks good!

We make it pretty frequently. I usually have onions, green & red bell pepper, mushrooms, artichokes, kalamata olives and ham or prosciutto. If it's summer, I'll use fresh tomato and basil from the garden.

If I don't want to take the time to make the dough for the crust, I'll use the Kronos brand pocketless pita that we buy at Costco for the crust. It's good (enough) and quick.

imready should chime in soon. He's all about the homemade pizzas. He taught me about prebaking the crust.

jimfet, have you calculated the cost of one pizza? Are you saving money?

Less than $5 per pizza. The 1 lb dough balls are a buck. So thats 2 crust. The sauce is $3.49 for 102 oz. Plus its the heavy sauce. If you buy the 15 oz can of Fermano's regular sauce at Harris Teeter, it's $1.59 a can. The meat and cheese make up the rest. But for $2.99 a pack, you get enough pepperoni for 4 to 5 pizza's.

Last edited:
Those pictures look good.:yes:
I'm completely hooked on grilled/bbq pizza, myself. My favorite is a tomato sauce made from my garden tomatoes, some quality mozza cheese, and prosciutto. If I have some arugula and/or basil in the garden I'll add some of that too.
The weather needs to be decent for it to work, though. And I wish I had a bigger grill. I have to make them small to medium in size. It is easier to flip the dough that way, though, so I can't complain. And I don't use a stone, the dough goes straight on the grill.

Folks I been making my own Pizzas for a while, and there are a couple rules -

MAKE YOUR OWN DOUGH!!!! but this is simply NOT enough, you must use proper Italian 00 Tipo flour. This makes so much difference it is unreal! I have tried so many different flours and non come close to this stuff!!!

Only problem is that you won't really be able to roll the pizza out with the proper dough so it seems the pros don't simply spin the stuff to look all fancy lol! Not that difficult and you soon find yourself making super fine pizzas that are almost transparent without tearing....

My recipe makes 4 approx 12" real thin and can be frozen...

400g TIPO 00 flour
100g fine semolina
teaspoon salt
teaspoon dried active yeast
generous teaspoon golden caster sugar
30ml olive oil
300ml water

How I make...
0 Put a large stone (I use granite from tile shop much cheaper!) at bottom of oven turn on and get the oven as hot as possible
1 warm the water in microwave so that it is no higher than body temp
2 poor some off into a small container, then add the yeast. The warmth will activate the stuff quickly.
3 I then mix the salt, sugar and oil into what's left of the water and mix well.
4 siv the flour and semolina into food mixer..
5 When yeast is visibly active mix everything with the flour and start the mixer with dough hook.. I leave for a good ten minutes at slow speed (1 on a Kenwood Chef)

Smother dough with some oil, place in container with cling wrap on top and leave somewhere warm for dough to rise. This takes about 1 - 2 hours depending on temperature...

Punch down dough and split into portions. At this stage I round each piece off ready for spinning...

Leave for 10 minutes to relax

Whilst waiting prepare your favourite toppings...

Toss the dough to size of your choice, nice n thin is the tastiest way IMO the pizza should flop when you eat it!

Each Pizza should take about 5 mins to fully cook. The correct thickness of base and toppings insures everything cooks equally..

Enjoy :)

...I doubt you will get takeaway again!!!

The trick to working the dough is being patient and letting it proof between steps. Don't be in a hurry. The dough will let you know when it is time.

Yeah, I cheat on my crust. But hey at 50¢ a crust those balls from the HT deli are really top notch. I used to make mine from scratch, but it is just to much trouble.I used the recipe that came with my Kitchen aid mixer. Then I went to Martha White in the pack.

Now I just buy 6 of these dough balls at a time and that is a doz. pizza crust for me. Every now and then I will use the Mother Mary's pre made thin crust. They are not bad.

I'm just not much on the thicker crust like most places sell. I'm a thin crust guy or Chicago style.

As you can see they are normally $2.29 a ball. But they put them on sale for a buck every 4 to 6 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Folks I been making my own Pizzas for a while, and there are a couple rules -

MAKE YOUR OWN DOUGH!!!! but this is simply NOT enough, you must use proper Italian 00 Tipo flour. This makes so much difference it is unreal! I have tried so many different flours and non come close to this stuff!!!

Only problem is that you won't really be able to roll the pizza out with the proper dough so it seems the pros don't simply spin the stuff to look all fancy lol! Not that difficult and you soon find yourself making super fine pizzas that are almost transparent without tearing....

My recipe makes 4 approx 12" real thin and can be frozen...

400g TIPO 00 flour
100g fine semolina
teaspoon salt
teaspoon dried active yeast
generous teaspoon golden caster sugar
30ml olive oil
300ml water

How I make...
0 Put a large stone (I use granite from tile shop much cheaper!) at bottom of oven turn on and get the oven as hot as possible
1 warm the water in microwave so that it is no higher than body temp
2 poor some off into a small container, then add the yeast. The warmth will activate the stuff quickly.
3 I then mix the salt, sugar and oil into what's left of the water and mix well.
4 siv the flour and semolina into food mixer..
5 When yeast is visibly active mix everything with the flour and start the mixer with dough hook.. I leave for a good ten minutes at slow speed (1 on a Kenwood Chef)

Smother dough with some oil, place in container with cling wrap on top and leave somewhere warm for dough to rise. This takes about 1 - 2 hours depending on temperature...

Punch down dough and split into portions. At this stage I round each piece off ready for spinning...

Leave for 10 minutes to relax

Whilst waiting prepare your favourite toppings...

Toss the dough to size of your choice, nice n thin is the tastiest way IMO the pizza should flop when you eat it!

Each Pizza should take about 5 mins to fully cook. The correct thickness of base and toppings insures everything cooks equally..

Enjoy :)

...I doubt you will get takeaway again!!!

This is very similar to my recipe, actually. I started experimenting with semolina and found that it really helps with the elasticity and give the crust a nice texture.

Breaking the oven to get it hotter than 550 is a no-go with my wife, so I've taken to starting on the stovetop. I shape the dough then drop it into a preheated cast iron skillet with the burner on medium-high and once it's going I add the toppings.

Two minutes or so on the stovetop gives it just enough time to get sauce and toppings on and get a char started on the bottom. As a bonus the skillet contains everything so you don't end up with a smoky mess (another bonus for domestic tranquility).

Then into the 550 oven (with convection on) for 4 more minutes.

I've been doing a version of the America's Test Kitchen sauce recipe, and I find it works well for this style.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6316-thin-crust-pizza

I end up using almost exactly half the cheese I used to with my old process. It just doesn't need that much.

I won't go into how I make my dough etc since that is a personal preference but for those who use a stone you should try a steel. Works much better than a stone.

Good thread. I've actually made some notes. Thanks to the posters for sharing recipes.

I don't do Pizza at home unless I'm in Seattle. Hawaii is usually too hot to fire up an oven for Pizza, and there are few Pizza delivery shops I'd consider anything worth eating. Florida has a few decent Pizza shops due to New Yorkers and Chicagoans moving to Florida.

When I was in College, I'd make pizza in my apartment once I moved off campus in my Senior year. Got a lot of girls over that way with "Hey, I'm making a Pizza tonight, wanna help?"

My stovetop to oven method doesn't get results quite that pretty, but I'm still tweaking.

I'm hungry now. :drool:

My wife got me a baking steel and peel for my birthday. It's taken some practice to get the pies to slide off right, but I'm liking the results.

Back
Top Bottom