Finally started on my Quantum 2s.......

idadude

Got these last fall for next to nothing, so I was not motivated to do anything with them for a while since I was still playing around with the 2.5s. Being inspired by the recent pics of BK Photo's QLS 2s, I got started on one Q2 by putting new tinsel wires on one of the midranges, which was enough to make it playable since all of the other drivers were working on that speaker. Took it downstairs and put it in place of one of the RS 2.5s.

I was not really sure what to expect, but was nicely surprised by what I heard. Now I think I'll keep them, which was not my original plan, but they sound so good and they haven't even been upgraded yet, except for the one midrange tinsel wiring. Damn Infinitys! Why do they have to sound so good?

It took a while to figure out how to get the old tinsel wire and glue goop off the dome without damaging it, but once I got the goop dissolved and the old wires out, the new very flexible .036 tinsel wire was quick to get installed.

One thing I notice between the stock mid-dome and the one I re-tinseled is that the stock one sounds tinny and the mid I did sounds as if it goes a lot lower. I'm sure there's a little influence from the surrounding drivers, but the top one just doesn't sound as natural. I'll have to switch them and hear if they still sound the same in different spots.

Anyway, thanks BK Photo for the unintentional nudge. I'm glad I got started on these. I have to fix both mids on the other one, but now I'm motivated by what I heard from the one that's fully functional to get the other one going too.

Larry D.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
:thmbsp:

Nice and clean work! Though, the wire looks a bit heavy to my taste... I'd use a lighter weight wire. Perhaps that's changing the response, or limiting the hi-freq response.

I think you need a microphone (not an expensive one) to measure the difference you hear... You will be surprised. Those "differences" are usually very visible with a microphone and a software...

If you are curious, this is what I've found in one tweeter that sounded "dull" compared to the other... and how the measurement changed after the "fix" (post #7).

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=559836

This was the smallest braided spyder wire I could find and its super flexible. The wire on the stock midrange is totally stiff which is probably why it sounds tinny.

The mid I re-wired reproduces the higher mid frequencies as well as the lower mids. I'm figuring on dissolving the dried/stiff glue off of the stock mid tinsels and hearing if that helps. If not, I'll just re-wire it.

Larry D.

Usually:
hard suspension = higher freq. reproduction
flexible suspension = lower freqs. reproduction

Ha, nice work, glad i could help...

Mine are still being put together...a setback here and there...i realized why the woofer sounded kind of boomy when testing...the foam wasn't attached to the basket very well at all so i've been slowly re-gluing it, and just realized the same thing with the other Watkins...i think the outer cardboard soaked up a good portion of the glue from whomever reformed these...

Thanks again Larry...mine should (fingers crossed) be done by this weekend...

Domes done!

Got the mids done and fired them up.........now I don't know which speakers I like best.....the Q2s or the 2.5s?? The Quantum 2s have one hell of a huge soundstage in the sweet spot with all the instruments nicely separated. Lots of detail too while being smooth at the same time. I haven't even done any upgrades in the crossover or cleaned the pots yet and I am impressed.

Now I'm really glad I got started on these. They are definitely worth putting some hard work (and better parts) into. Noticed they're not mirror imaged, but I can't hear it.

Larry D.

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 28
I noticed your Q2's don't have the stock woofers and the surround rings are missing :)

The woofers are the newer Watkins type and must have been replaced by the original owner. I don't know what happened to the rings.

Larry D.

my cabs are slightly different...one has recessed grill posts the other doesn't...that stiff velcro attaching method on the grills isn't the best...if they don't stick the grill can easily fall off and take a dome with it...

Damn Infinitys! Why do they have to sound so good?

Yeah !! Those DaMn InFiNiTyS !!! Curse you Arnie Nudell :dammit::lmao:
Looking good BK ! Boy would I like to hear a pair of those babies ::music:

my cabs are slightly different...one has recessed grill posts the other doesn't...that stiff velcro attaching method on the grills isn't the best...if they don't stick the grill can easily fall off and take a dome with it...

Yeah, I haven't even tried to get my grills on the cabinets yet, but I should soon. I have some rug rats that visit occasionally and they always seem drawn to those big boxes that make noise. I've got to glue the grills back together since they have become semi-separated from old age and would just rattle and buzz if I put them on right now. Another project for this weekend........wonderful.......thanks for the reminder bk. How soon till you get your woofer back?

Larry D

Last edited:
Yeah !! Those DaMn InFiNiTyS !!! Curse you Arnie Nudell :dammit::lmao:
Looking good BK ! Boy would I like to hear a pair of those babies ::music:

New Hampshire is not really near Idaho is it? You're welcome to stop over if you don't mind the drive.

Larry D.

Thanks !!
Im getting on the puddle jumper to Boston .. Should be there by midnight
Q2s or Bust .. Actually , my brother lives in Salmon .. Have Fun .. :thmbsp:

thanks for the reminder bk. How soon till you get your woofer back?

Larry D

funny, Bill just called,(Millersound) on its way...previous owner refoamed them, 1 is fine, this one was rubbing..he said it was way off...

my rugrats are 6 and 3 and know that the world will end if someone screws with dad's stereo...

Salem...? ( No not Salem , SALMON ))}}})) IDAHO ) OP is there ..
Im stuck in airport waiting for connecting flight into pocatello .. ( IDAHO )
dont wait for me I might be a while :beer:

Back
Top Bottom