Stylus close up. How much magnification?

revox-b77

I wanted to see my stylus close up. I would like to be able to see the stone and the different cuts. I would also like to be able to judge condition.

Here are a few photos:

Let's see if they are here, then I will continue:

The photos :

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 122
What you really need to see to evaluate wear requires a fair amount of magnification and just the right lighting. The lighting is actually the most critical thing. Then you need some experience looking at the result, as it isn't as straightforward as one might hope. The problem is depth of field at that magnification is very short. SEM would be great, but not many of us have one :) Look at the photos in this thread- http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3015377

Last edited:
You can infer wear from reflections off the flats from tip attrition at low-ish magnification, but ca 200x or more and good surround lighting is required to directly survey the tip end.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
These were taken with a 200x usb microscope. Can you tell anything at this magnification? The stone is a .4x.7 eliptical. I do not believe these are any where near 200x, my guess is more like 50x. I will have to figure some way to hold the camera better. The base it came with is not sturdy enough. It also took about 1/2 hour to position the stylus by hand for these shots. Need a better way to move in x and y axis as well.How is the stylus held in a real microscope?

Do a websearch on this topic for more photos at x magnification.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hi,

I'm Using a very cheap and simple Chinese USB scope and managed some very nice pictures. It's a toy really so I can't use it's X500 capability, as lighting and depth-of-field becomes an issue, but I think I'm using about X350-X400 -

That's the $15 toy :)

17820942076_a1e3f4f5d6_o.jpg

Here are some styli:

A DL-103 -

17777653159_5197285626_o.jpg

A Pickering D5000 Streohedron -

17895404312_3013981833_o.jpg

A Stanton D81 Stereohedron (not sure I can identify the cut) -

17898943591_f261e9b1d5_o.jpg

This is a Supex stylus (should have cleaned it before taking the picture) -

17207701563_d79ce04eb9_o.jpg

and finally, an Elliptical Grado Reference Platinum1 -

17428533554_dcfa1f85a5_o.jpg

Conclusions:

a) I need to get better :)
b) no need for expensive equipment for decent pictures

Cheers,
Niv

Last edited:
In my work I inspect a lot of parts at moderate to high magnification and we have a saying, "Given enough magnification, everything looks like crap!"

Seriously, lighting is 98% of the battle if you want to evaluate wear. Look at the light on a Shure SEK-2 stylus microscope (Google) to get an idea of what's needed.

I'm surprised nobody has recommended reading Sparky's sticky, in this very forum.

All the pics posted so far are swell for what they are, but useless for judging wear. It takes a certain kind of lighting, from the correct angles, to....

Ah, just read the sticky. It's all there. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225960

I built one of these using a used scope and it's very clear if there is stylus wear.

Last edited:
I'm usually placing the cartridge on top of something stable (the cartridge's case, more often than not), and Play with the scope position and magnification - till satisfied.

Some times I play with the lighting too - I'll use an halogen desk lamp, and the natural light from the window. Play with the cartridge positioning until the lighting's "right", Than handle focus and take the picture.

It took some time and patience, but now, after few weeks, I can usually take a good picture in ten min, or so - lots of fun!
:)

Hi,

I'm Using a very cheap and simple Chinese USB scope and managed some very nice pictures. It's a toy really so I can't use it's X500 capability, as lighting and depth-of-field becomes an issue, but I think I'm using about X350-X400 -

That's the $15 toy :)

17820942076_a1e3f4f5d6_o.jpg

Here are some styli:

A DL-103 -

17777653159_5197285626_o.jpg

A Pickering D5000 Streohedron -

17895404312_3013981833_o.jpg

A Stanton D81 Stereohedron (not sure I can identify the cut) -

17898943591_f261e9b1d5_o.jpg

This is a Supex stylus (should have cleaned it before taking the picture) -

17207701563_d79ce04eb9_o.jpg

and finally, an Elliptical Grado Reference Platinum1 -

17428533554_dcfa1f85a5_o.jpg

Conclusions:

a) I need to get better :)
b) no need for expensive equipment for decent pictures

Cheers,
Niv

Wow! I guess I need to practice; I just purchased the exact same model scope,and I haven't been able to get anywhere NEAR the results you've achieved. Well done!

The gents posting before me have answered the question well, and I'd take their advice.

However, If you don't want to spend a fortune, try this for under $3.00 delivered. I'm not kidding. An Illuminated 40x magnification device (that is enough for me to see detail - especially with readers on - see last paragraph) for under $3.00. It's from China via Amazon so you will wait 3 weeks for delivery. Otherwise, for under 3 bucks, it's a great tool for many things, not just stylus examination. I use it for many things, but do use it to examine my stylus on all three of my tables.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FV9YD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS, if you have +2 or +3 reading glasses and use them in conjunction with this magnifier, then you will REALLY be impressed with the magnification. It's plenty.

Last edited:
These were taken with a 200x usb microscope. Can you tell anything at this magnification? The stone is a .4x.7 eliptical. I do not believe these are any where near 200x, my guess is more like 50x. I will have to figure some way to hold the camera better. The base it came with is not sturdy enough. It also took about 1/2 hour to position the stylus by hand for these shots. Need a better way to move in x and y axis as well.How is the stylus held in a real microscope?

So-called 200X USB microscopes are a ripoff. They only achieve that kind of magnification when you get up around 10 pixels per inch on your monitor.

Wow! I guess I need to practice; I just purchased the exact same model scope,and I haven't been able to get anywhere NEAR the results you've achieved. Well done!

Likewise. The software that came with it seems to be the weakest link.

The gents posting before me have answered the question well, and I'd take their advice.

However, If you don't want to spend a fortune, try this for under $3.00 delivered. I'm not kidding. An Illuminated 40x magnification device (that is enough for me to see detail - especially with readers on - see last paragraph) for under $3.00. It's from China via Amazon so you will wait 3 weeks for delivery. Otherwise, for under 3 bucks, it's a great tool for many things, not just stylus examination. I use it for many things, but do use it to examine my stylus on all three of my tables.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FV9YD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS, if you have +2 or +3 reading glasses and use them in conjunction with this magnifier, then you will REALLY be impressed with the magnification. It's plenty.

Hi,
For that price, I'll take this one ($0.25 more :) )
I've use it before. the added magnification is really notable, and it enables to notice more details.
Yet, is doesn't take pictures (which was important to me) and ultimately - can't show enough details for my taste.
I do have a X30 len to look for dirt and the likes, by the TT though.

Cheers,
Niv

Back
Top Bottom