Cheapskate (modern) receiver recommendation

gip111

Coming from low/mid-fi vintage stuff, I'm seriously contemplating the idea to "modernize" and "minimize". I'm getting to a stage in my life where I don't feel like pulling the soldering iron as often. That said, I'm just looking for a clean sounding budget 2 channel receiver for low to moderate level listening.
Some of the ones in my budget range are the Yamaha S R201 and the Onkyo TX-8050, both get great reviews.
Any input appreciated.

Does it have to be a receiver? Do you need a radio? Lots of nice integrated amps out there.

I'm not a big fan of the R-S201 after using it a little bit. It has a very cheap feel and thin sound IMO. They also don't measure this amp into a full bandwidth signal which indicates it probably has a compromised power supply.

I own the A-S500 from Yamaha and spent some time with their stereo receivers. (R-S201, and R-S300). The R-S300 is a much better built and sounding unit. This unit is also properly measured at full bandwidth.

As mentioned above if you don't need a tuner take a look at the A-S301. Even better than the receivers.

I also owned the Onkyo TX-8050 for a little over two years and it failed just out of warranty. It sounded great though. The TX-8020 might be an option for as well. You can get this unit for around 159-179 on Amazon most of the time.

Should it be brand new?
Used market offers much more bang for the buck.
What are your requirements (rremote, sub out, etc)?

I have come close to buying an Onkyo TX-8020 a few times. I would probably end up spending the extra money for a Yamaha R-S300 if it came down to it though.

I rule out any that do not have a phono input, that may or may not matter to you.

Good advice, thanks guys. I've been hung up on the older receivers/amps for so long, I have no idea what's out there, especially 2 channel stuff. My knowledge on newer receivers is limited to what I've been seeing lately in the chain stores...S R201 being one of them and lots of AV 5.1 or 7.1 which I'm not interested in. I don't need a tuner and a phono input is a plus with me.
I do like a "fat" sound but from a couple of reviews, looks like the S R201 is the opposite.

I'd head over to accessories4less and check out their integrated amp page. Lots of nice 2 channel amps in your price range.

I'd head over to accessories4less and check out their integrated amp page. Lots of nice 2 channel amps in your price range.

Yes! Never even heard of this site before, great prices.
How do you guys feel about refurbished components?

I know surround isn't your thing but note that surround receivers do operate in 2 channel stereo and on the budget end your dollar often goes further even if you never use half the features. I bought the Marantz NR 1504 yesterday and it's surprising on sound quality and does a lot of things that might be useful. 3 year warranty. But no phono. Still you can get better output phono stages for cheap.

I have the R-S201 and the A-S500. If you like extra warmth, they are not what you want. I like my amps to be neutral and they both are very clean sounding units. I just needed to swap my units and the R-S201 is now in my study driving my KEF Q300 speakers and my A-S500 is now in my living room driving my small AR 215PS speakers, which I hope to add a sub-woofer to. ( The new Pioneer narrow design that can work from behind my credenza.)I was really surprised at how nicely the R-S201 drove the Q300's. The R-S201 does not have a phono input and you will need to add an external preamp.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom