What to do with old Firebird?

Well, it was a fun thread about a cool guitar. I learned quite a bit.

Glad you enjoyed it. One more factoid about the original Firebird series:

Gibson, concerned with sluggish sales of its "tired" designs in the face of the Fender (Strat, in particular) onslaught in the early '60s, hired car designer Ray Dietrich to design a guitar that would be "sexy". Dietrich hit one outta da park w/ the neck-through design and reverse body, but reverse-body model 'Birds are, nonetheless, neck-heavy and can be a bitch to pay, even when in a seated position. But some folks manage to get the job done w/ a 'Bird: Johhny Winter, Clapton, Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), even Howlin' Wolf, who used a Firebird for slide. For an experience in contrast, track down photos of Clapton & Wolf where each is holding his Stratocaster and/or Firebird: both Strat & 'Bird look like 3/4 scale (if not smaller!) versions of those respective instruments in the hands of The Wolf.

Didn't Gatemouth Brown play a Firebird?

He did, but not the reverse-body style, but the (so-called) Forward-Body style Gibson imposed around 1965, at least that's the one you see most often, neatly wrapped in a custom-made, tooled leather "jacket". If he formerly used a reverse-bodied axe, I've never seen a photo of him using that model. Such an undersung Bluesman, I saw/heard him many times @ concert. Tremendous power in those hands and vocals.

Great-looking guitar. And these kids were quite fond of the sound.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Firebird_rolling_stones_brian_jones_mick_jagger_keith_richards_wyman_watts_psychedelic_rocknroll.jpg
    Firebird_rolling_stones_brian_jones_mick_jagger_keith_richards_wyman_watts_psychedelic_rocknroll.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 62
Great-looking guitar. And these kids were quite fond of the sound.

attachment.php

I'd completely forgotten about Brian's use of a (reverse-bodied) Firebird VII. Good catch! Nice photo, too. Looks like Keith's handling an ES-330 (note flush-mounted P-90 PUPs) w/ a Bigsby tailpiece. Not sure I've seen him handling that axe 'til this photo. Look @ Jagger: the "Sinatra" of rock.

Seeing Brian is always upsetting to me, ever since I read that book about his death. Someone here more RS knowledgeable than myself said it was bunk about his being murdered. I dunno, he just seems so pitiful.

Seeing Brian is always upsetting to me, ever since I read that book about his death. Someone here more RS knowledgeable than myself said it was bunk about his being murdered. I dunno, he just seems so pitiful.

Sad that he essentially put down the guitar and wandered away from the band he created. But while he was there...

attachment.php

Attachments

• BJ_Firebird.jpg
    BJ_Firebird.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 48
I know the senior tech (Luthier ) that used to do Mandolin Bros. Work.He has his own business now. He's done work for my brother and my son. I think he still does some contract work for MB. I also know he has a backlog. While I don't profess to be an expert I know a few and this guy is highly regarded. I realize the OP seems to have disappeared. If someone needs a good luthier in the Jersey area pm me and I'll get you contact info.

I know the senior tech (Luthier ) that used to do Mandolin Bros. Work.He has his own business now. He's done work for my brother and my son. I think he still does some contract work for MB. I also know he has a backlog. While I don't profess to be an expert I know a few and this guy is highly regarded. I realize the OP seems to have disappeared. If someone needs a good luthier in the Jersey area pm me and I'll get you contact info.

From one KEF 104/2 user to another, thanks for the information, nj.

This was my old Custom Shop non-reverse. I hated the neck joint which made it a handful to play in the upper register but I loved how it sounded. Neck felt way too long compared to my Les Paul's and Explorer's so I sold it. I had a '76 "medallion" reverse also, wish I had kept that one though, it had that growl... if you play/own Firebird's you will know what I mean by the Firebird growl

sWuEull.jpg

aGEt7yC.jpg

Last edited:
This was my old Custom Shop non-reverse. I hated th neck joint but I loved how it sounded. Neck felt way too long compared to my Les Paul's and Explorer's so I sold it. I had a '76 "medallion" reverse also, wish I had kept that one though, it had that growl... if you play/own Firebird's you will know what I mean by the Firebird growl

sWuEull.jpg

Considering their era of manufacture, the Medallion series turned out well. I know the 'Bird growl (they didn't tweet).

Nice Model VII from the Custom Shop. Over the years I've had two non-reverse models, a '66 III (Black, very unusual) and a '67 IV (Burst). All of the rest -- a dozen or more -- have been reverse-bodied, and most ofthose in the '63-'65 range, though I did have a circa '90 V (Black, gold harware) and the so-called '76 Bicentennial, sort of a type III w/ a stop tailpiece instead of the whammy bar deal. IIRC, the hardware on the '76 was nickle. Finish was Burst.

Do you mean Norlin Era Gibson's? I never had a bad one and in particular, this 1991 Standard was seriously special. It had that HONK and weighed 9 lbs 2oz. In the image it's looks black on the edge but it actually fades to a deep red that blings in the right light. EDIT to protect confidentiality of new owner

2011_0122Image0013.jpg

Some of my e/2's including the custom by David McNaught (purple people eater) which was one of his earliest. It's currently owned by a rather well known bass player who shall remain anonymous at his request

aNauwwX.jpg

And this gem of a all original museum condition '79 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty was my biggest regret. It was THE ONE that did it all. John Syke's look, absolutely NO yellowing to the binding, no checking it was an incredible instrument. Weighed just over 13lbs but I never felt the weight, it was a dream to play

jtalawo.jpg

This 1993 Classic Plus was a looker but probably my least favorite Les Paul

LzSmrdQ.jpg

1990 special order ebony 1967 V

SV3q2Vp.jpg

This 1981 Standard was a pleasure to play also, those are Tim Shaw pups in it that I installed

5mRfD9r.jpg

I can't say I ever had a bad Norlin. I have had some pre-Norlin goldtops that played/sounded no better then the Norlin's. A guitar sounds only as good as the player so as long as the feel is there and it tonally does the job, I am a happy camper

One I would like to own before I am gone is the Les Paul 25/50

Last edited:
I really like that '81 Lester in Burgandy. I have had, and still have, a few good Norlin era Gibsons: '67 Flying V (Burst), '92 Lester Deluxe (Goldtop), '81 Lester Heritage (mild flame), and '81 Lester Heritage Elite (wild flame). I swapped out the mini HB PUPs @ the Deluxe for a pair of circa '62 P90s, but I've kept the original mini HDs. Hold the boat: Johnny Smith model (Burgundy) is also Norlin (1970).

PS: had Norlin era Heritage Reissue Flying V (Korina Natural) and Explorer (Korina Natural). The V didn't float my boat, but I wish I'd kept the Explorer. @ least I got a nice Fender in straight-up trade for the Explorer: '68 Telecaster (Blond), no issues, wonderfully checked finish, and no Bigsby.

Last edited:
Man, has this thread ever drifted. But we are sticking to discussion of geetars, and of Gibson manufacture @ that.

I really like that '81 Lester in Burgandy. I have had, and still have, a few good Norlin era Gibsons: '67 Flying V (Burst), '92 Lester Deluxe (Goldtop), '81 Lester Heritage (mild flame), and '81 Lester Heritage Elite (wild flame). I swapped out the mini HB PUPs @ the Deluxe for a pair of circa '62 P90s, but I've kept the original mini HDs. Hold the boat: Johnny Smith model (Burgundy) is also Norlin (1970).

PS: had Norlin era Heritage Reissue Flying V (Korina Natural) and Explorer (Korina Natural). The V didn't float my boat, but I wish I'd kept the Explorer. @ least I got a nice Fender in straight-up trade for the Explorer: '68 Telecaster (Blond), no issues, wonderfully checked finish, and no Bigsby.

Post a pic of your V!!!! I almost got a silverburst but it slipped through my fingers when I opted for a BC Rich Bich Supreme instead

Firebird eye candy while we await the return of the OP. Big pic, you might need to scroll right to see model VII. Note that the 'guards @ models I, III, and VII are missing the "Firebird" logo.

Firebirds_main.jpg
Seeing them all together, it just reminds you of Gibson's hierarchy of the time...

I = Junior- one pickup, dots, no binding
III = Special- two pickups, dots, but with binding
V= Model (Standard)- two pickups, trapezoid pearl inlays, binding
VII = Custom- Three pickups, Ebony board, gold hardware...

I can't play Firebirds- that nut feels like it's WAYYY out there- like in a different zip code. I play a Thunderbird- but it's a whole different story.

Back
Top Bottom