Optonica RT-6505 help please

Just picked this up at a thrift store for pocket change. it looked so cool I could not pass it up.

The FWD and REV are working fine but the play is not.
when engaged the left side starts to spin and the right side does nothing. then it pops back to the off position.

pulled the top off and I see the drive belt to the motor(loose) and a small belt that I can view from the top looking down.

I know nothing about cassette players but I really want to save this one. I will post pictures in a few hours. thanks in advance!

The standard problem in these Sharp decks. Clean with nitro based paint thinners.
there is nothing left to clean. the smaller idler is gone. found it down by the capstan. a black ball of goo.

I'll hunt around for a replacement. if none are available it's straight to the bay.

Update

Grabbed a sharp cassette deck at a yard sale today for three bucks. the capstan looked very similar to the Optonica, so I took a gamble.

Jeez. that thing was a pain to rip apart! the optonica is much more repair friendly. but I hit the jackpot. the small rubber wheel was present and solid. I started throwing parts from the sharp in a baggie. after a few choice words the cassette assembly was freed and the carcass sent to the trash.

The Optonica was a breeze. a handfull of screws, one bracket removal, and done. waaay more repair friendly.:thmbsp:
after a quick head cleaning I popped in a tape. Houston, we have music!!:D

next it's new belts, a really good cleaning, and fresh paint for the top.
glad I could save this one from the parts pile.

Attachments

• 4p.jpg
    4p.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2p.jpg
    2p.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 3p.jpg
    3p.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 84
Good work love Optonica equipment good looking and well built.

thank you. with the parts unit i'm 13 bucks in this.
I would really like to find the matching black face receiver. my brother in law just finished his basement man cave and the set would make a great gift.
I'll have to keep my peepers open.

Nice job on the fix!

That Optonica is part of the line from Sharp that made its debut in about '76. They were one of the first to have the music search feature. An RT-3388 was my first new cassette deck. Sadly, the functions have stopped working over the years - I imagine some chip has failed. I've bought other Sharp and Optonica models and they all seem to suffer the same fate. For a low to mid priced deck, they sounded pretty good.

I also liked that the tape counter was in minutes/seconds rather than the usual digital counter. I think it worked the same way - it wasn't terribly accurate, but easier to completely fill a mix tape. I also used mine for years as an alarm clock - it would turn on, trigger the amp and CD player, and I'd wake to music.

Last edited:
I have an Optonica RT-6205 with the same issue that you described. I haven't opened my deck up yet, but another AKer said he fabricated a new roller out of silicone tubing.

Back
Top Bottom