With Letterman and Stewart Leaving Late Night...

Who will rule your late night roost going forward?

• Kimmel

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Rose

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Fallon

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • Meyers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O'Brien

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Smiley

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cordan

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Colbert

Votes: 27 25.5%

• Total voters
I DVR reruns of BARNEY MILLER & NIGHT COURT to watch after the BIG BANG THEORY reruns are over. How pathetic is that? The poster who said Carson broke the mold speaks for me.

Jack

Letterman has been coasting on his reputation for about 15 years- Kimmel is hit or miss as is Conan and Fallon tries too hard to be hip. Waiting to see if Colbert can work around the censors and network executives. Trevor shows promise. If neither of these work out then I might get a good night's sleep........

I'll miss Letterman, his show aged as he did - and I did. The new guys are for generations younger than me. Not that I don't find a lot of what they say and do funny. I'm not that out of touch.

Colbert is transcendent

:D

stephen-colbert-excited-gif-3.gif

I predict Colbert is gonna take it all.

He was tops on cable, but now on CBS his potential viewing base will be HUGE.

He is a genius and he will redefine late-night. His show will be the one everyone will NEED to be on.

His competition can't compare, and will struggle to keep up with him.

He is a genius and he will redefine late-night. His show will be the one everyone will NEED to be on.

Colbert is indeed a "force to be reckoned with". And while creative "control licenses" come into play bigtime with mainstream suits; my gut says/prays that Colbert negotiated some unprecedented legroom with Moonves.

Without a doubt Colbert and O'Brien have the biggest brains and out of the box buffoonery quotient. Praise the Lord for time shifting. :D

Chris Hardwicke on @Midnight(a comedy show masquerading as a game show)has some of the best writers on late night tv,although he is at the mercy a bit of the three comedians he has on a particular night.The show is very profane,but quite quick and clever,and Hardwicke is a master of thinking on his feet.
Jimmy

Letterman has been coasting on his reputation for about 15 years- Kimmel is hit or miss as is Conan and Fallon tries too hard to be hip. Waiting to see if Colbert can work around the censors and network executives. Trevor shows promise. If neither of these work out then I might get a good night's sleep........��
Agree. But even Carson had "his" off nights.

You peg Fallon dead nuts with the hipster badge. That said, he uses his "Tonight Show and NBC muscle" to show off some pretty innovative bits. The barbershop quartet of Roxanne with Sting is a prime example. Too bad he's not a better personality with a longer yardstick.

Agree. But even Carson had "his" off nights.

You peg Fallon dead nuts with the hipster badge. That said, he uses his "Tonight Show and NBC muscle" to show off some pretty innovative bits. The barbershop quartet of Roxanne with Sting is a prime example. Too bad he's not a better personality with a longer yardstick.

When Fallon does things with music he is at his best and it often takes him out of the hipster territory. His Neil Young impression is just awesome.

I'm with you, Lorenzo

I'll miss Letterman, his show aged as he did - and I did. The new guys are for generations younger than me. Not that I don't find a lot of what they say and do funny. I'm not that out of touch.

Unlike some, I did think Letterman was often very funny and though I cut my teeth on Carson and love him, Letterman is my favorite-by the way, he was Johnny's favorite too. I'm sure you all know/remember that Dave was Johnny's choice to take over the Tonight Show after he left. They continued to stay in touch with each other, remaining close until Johnny's passing.

Comedy is so subjective, I've always said that all comedy is stupid and who is funny to you depends on what type of stupid makes you laugh. Leno never did it for me either as a stand-up comedian or on the Tonight Show where I thought he was at his worst. Yet, like Budweiser, more people bought him so I'm not so sure you really want the "most viewed" moniker, if you've got integrity as a comedian.

I think Colbert can be very funny, as can most everyone mentioned, it's doing it night after night that makes these late night spots so tough. Fallon's got his good points and I think will continue to do well, appealing to younger viewers. I actually like him, I just wish everyone of his guests wasn't his "favorite _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !" (you fill in the blank). :)

I agree Fallon's musical skits and impressions are the best which makes him unique as he can really make musical guests more relaxed and more interesting as they don't feel so out of their element sitting on a couch trying to answer questions they can't relate to or don't capture anything relevant about them or their music. It's cool to see musical guests having fun and getting involved with the show instead of looking uncomfortable.

Apparently I was in the minority in liking Craig Ferguson but haven't had a chance to see his replacement yet but I hear he's funny too. Anyway, that's a little of what I think, not that it matters. :)

Last edited:

Although I stopped watching Late Night years ago, Don't ever underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
Fallon is a silly ever smiling clown, and his viewership is unending.
Colbert is very sharp fellow. Doubt I will watch though.
People are dumber than ever before in history.

Carson was great. Can you imagine people watching guys like Jack Paar, or Dick Cavett today on regular TV. These idiots today?
It always amazes me how much younger-centric everything is today.
Nobody knows anything. :worried:

Fallon just grates on my nerves. Reminds me of the wannabe kid that laughs too much to try and get in with the cool kids. Wants to be hip but the more he tries the further away he distances himself. A puppy that pees all over himself every time you walk near him.

I loved Carson. I liked Ferguson. I was OK with Leno and Letterman. All the rest leave me uninvolved... so I didn't vote in the poll.

Ferguson was an odd thing for me. He impressed me most when he wasn't being funny, especially his interview with Desmond Tutu (for which he won a Peabody). In the middle of it, Tutu quoted someone (Augustine?), and Ferguson instantly responded by quoting Aquinas, correctly, and off the top of his head. Even Tutu was impressed.

Later, Ferguson said his decision to leave late-night was driven by advice from Tutu to "stay crazy".

http://www.peabodyawards.com/award-...ferguson-an-evening-with-archbishop-desmond-t

Cause he is white? I'm just supposing here but Dont put it past Stewart and his ilk to champion a minority based largely on his race.

Oliver already had a show on HBO when Stewart decided to leave. You didn't just make this political AND racial did you?

Who will rule your late night roost going forward?

Out of all that garbage in the poll I'm thinking Netflix or Red Eye on Fox ,a good book or a movie from my NAS or maybe some PBS via Roku same as now .
OTOH I was fine with Letterman and Jay Leno :smoke:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom