Looking for a guitar slinger Help with pedals

comish4

comish4
Just satrted back at the guitar after about 25 years and I'm searching for which stack of pedals or a pedal that can give me that razor sound on lead on many of my favorite songs from back in the day? I know it a random term razor sound but its the best I can come up with. To give you an idea of what Im talking about if you choose to help on Youtube a song by a group Wiggy Bits "I will write you off" at about 1:30 is the sound im searching for. Any help would be great and by the way this Wiggy bits LP is a great LP. Thanks for the help in advance I have listened to the different pedal on Youtube and none seem to match the sound

Check with

a member on here..Northwinds....he is a guitar buff. He may be able to help you out.

Just satrted back at the guitar after about 25 years and I'm searching for which stack of pedals or a pedal that can give me that razor sound on lead on many of my favorite songs from back in the day? I know it a random term razor sound but its the best I can come up with. To give you an idea of what Im talking about if you choose to help on Youtube a song by a group Wiggy Bits "I will write you off" at about 1:30 is the sound im searching for. Any help would be great and by the way this Wiggy bits LP is a great LP. Thanks for the help in advance I have listened to the different pedal on Youtube and none seem to match the sound

My advice is always find YOUR sound instead of trying to emulate others. That having been said, my favorite distortion pedal is an old MXR distortion+

My advice is always find YOUR sound instead of trying to emulate others. That having been said, my favorite distortion pedal is an old MXR distortion+

I have one from around 1980 that has a great sound. I can't access UTube right now, so it's hard to understand exactly the sound the OP wants. A lot is in the hands as well as the amp voicing, but I like analog effects for distortion/fuzz/overdrive stuff. No digital dirt pedals in my chain. I have an OCD i use a lot, and I also rely on a Throbak Fuzz Haze (I have an Analog Man Sunface with New Market NKT275's in it, an early one, which is about the best Fuzz Face help you can get, but I feel much more at home with the Throbak Fuzz Haze... It's a Germanium circuit, but it has an edge to it that is like a gemanium/silicon hybrid... Easy to work with onstage and cuts through a mix beautifully... Go check out the Pro Guitar Shop demo for the Fuzz Haze and you'll hear the wide array of voicings you can get with it... VERY-versatile: https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=c58VgluRKyk ).

I agree about finding your own voice, although I also totally-understand the emulation factor with vintage-type pedals. I mean, how many blues guitarists these days don't fuss over which Leslie or Univibe effect sounds most like the real thing. I still need to get a Megavibe, and I haven't settled on the perfect Leslie sound either. I put those quests aside for a while so I could concentrate on my hi-fi obsession, which, as it would seem, is ALSO riddled with emulation. My system is all about making those classic tracks sound their best (It actually taught me a lot about where I went wrong with my guitar setup, namely the amp).

Last edited:
I would find out what gear the artist is using. Then from there decide if you like it. Alot of your tone will be from how you play. Just spend a day at your local guitar store trying different equipment. There are some digital stuff that does a good job at replicating certain analog stuff. It's is all on you how you want your sound.

I'm a fan of the ProCo RAT. With the filter set low you can get that jagged sound. Works best pushing a tube amp though.

As a head start to figuring it out, know that the over drive pedal family tree goes back to the Marshall Blues Breaker, ProCo RAT, BOS SD-1, and the Ibanez Tube Screamer... these represent the main circuit topologies and tone families from which the hundreds of current popular pedals are derived.

Blues Breaker - lush and juicy
RAT - edgy and forward
SD-1 - bright and natural
Tube Screamer - rich midrange

The 80s were dominated by these pedals and their derivatives. Next time you are in the guitar store, have one of the folks there pull out a few of these or modern equivalents (he will know which ones) and check them out.

If you still can't pin down the sound, you could try contacting Emil "Peppy Castro" Thielhelm and ask him directly - he's on Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn...

Razor guitar

THANKS SO MUCH for your help I just love Wiggy Bits LP. Since its release I have loved that LP so much and wish everyone that listened to it would help promote this wonderful band. Thanks again I pretty much use Boss pedals but you guys are far more knowledgeable than me.

*Message deleted - No advertising items for sale outside Bartertown or Marketplace.*

Last edited by a moderator:
The past few years I have been having a blast playing the les paul and fender strat through a Vox Tonelabst. Many, many tone combinations can be had with this little gem (Tungsol 12AX7 tube fun). So versatile, also run a Vox Wah pedal before it and 2 Ditto looper pedals after it.

Choice of geetar & amplification play a part in achieving this tone you seek. Might I recommend you post a thread in AK's Musical Instruments Forums, you'll get more feedback. I only saw this b/c it was @ the main page, else I'd benver have seen it b/c I seldom, lf ever, wander into the Listening Spaces forums.

You could also request that a moderator move this thread to Musical Instruments Forums, keeping intact the conversations already in progress. Besides Northwinds and me, MichaelHigh, Celt, dokblues, and a bunch of other geetar and musical instrument gearheads hang out @ the Musical Instruments Forums.

As a head start to figuring it out, know that the over drive pedal family tree goes back to the Marshall Blues Breaker, ProCo RAT, BOS SD-1, and the Ibanez Tube Screamer... these represent the main circuit topologies and tone families from which the hundreds of current popular pedals are derived.

Blues Breaker - lush and juicy
RAT - edgy and forward
SD-1 - bright and natural
Tube Screamer - rich midrange

The 80s were dominated by these pedals and their derivatives. Next time you are in the guitar store, have one of the folks there pull out a few of these or modern equivalents (he will know which ones) and check them out.

If you still can't pin down the sound, you could try contacting Emil "Peppy Castro" Thielhelm and ask him directly - he's on Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn...

Can't Forget The DOD Overdrive 250. Yngwie used one. Blackmore used a treble booster and some old tape deck. Beck used all kinds of things including a Sola Sound Tonebender (late '60's) and a Colorsound Overdriver (Jeff Beck Group period), and Page used a Tonebender, a treble booster, and various custom pedals I think over the years. Gilmour used an Orange treble booster. SRV used a Tubescreamer, a Fuzz Face, and maybe one or two other pedals once in a while, but he also did a lot of amp-blending. There's Fender, Marshall, and Dumble in his tone. One of my favorite guitarist tonewise is Doyle Bramhall II. He sticks to the Fuzzface sound a lot, but he gets amazing tone. Scott Henderson had incredible tone when he did his first blues album (Prior to that, he was a jazz/jazz-fusion chops master). I like a rich overdrive tone and I like pedals that allow me to work off the guitar's volume knob for gain adjustment.

Last edited:
How I achieved rippin' tone back in the day:

1961 Stratocaster > 1974 Ross Compressor (Gray Box) > 1957 Fender Deluxe OR
1959 Gibson "Les Paul" (ie, Model GA-40) amplifer(s).

No "fuzz" box necessary. All of the gain/distortion arrived via the amplifiers, w/ an assist from the Ross. BTW, never set the Strat anywhere but PUP I (neck PUP), yet the razor sharpness prevailed. Used the same tone chain w/ my Lesters, Firebird (I), Teles, and '61 SG Special. Strat won (wins) hands down always. Since ~2004 I've stuck mainly to a '40s Gibson J-45 and a '32 National Duolian, very (very!) scant electric geetar excurions. But if I decide to light up a tube amp, it will be the Strat > Ross > Deluxe a/o GA-40 combo.

PS: I got the notion of going w/ the Gibby GA-40 from Ry Cooder, but that's a story for a different thread.

PPS: I have @ hand a D-A Fuzzface, Maestro (Gibson) Wedge, 1st-issue Big Muff, and a 1st-issue Pro-Co Rat. None were were ever as satidfying as saturated tube distortion throgh the Ross. Too effin' buzzy.

I still think you should request to have this thread MOVED to the Musical Instruments Forums.

If you don't, I just might.

^^^

No doubt. Not that I don't appreciate you ax slingers (even if the majority of you have no time and play too loud :thmbsp:), but there is a dedicated forum for this type of discussion.

MODS, can we get this thread relocated to the appropriate forum, please?

^^^

No doubt. Not that I don't appreciate you ax slingers (even if the majority of you have no time and play too loud :thmbsp:), but there is a dedicated forum for this type of discussion.

MODS, can we get this thread relocated to the appropriate forum, please?

Seconded. I'll even send notification to the mods on our behalf.

Moderators have been duly notified. Let's hope for thread relocation to the Musical Instruments Forums.

Stay tuned. :smoke:

Thanks, Mystic.

Sorry for the interruption, guys.

But I stand by my comment about (electric) guitarists. :finger::uzi:

Back
Top Bottom