Sony ST 5000F(FW) Need meter lamp advice

rswojo

AK Subscriber
I need to replace the 2 meter lamps in my 5000. They are mounted in a cylindrical plastic housing. The SM says rotate the plastic housings clockwise (looking at them from the rear of the unit) and they will come out.

They won't budge and I don't want to try excessive force.

Any tips or tricks?

If possible, could you post a picture of the exact layout of the bulbs in their housing? :scratch2:

EDIT:

Does the inside, for the bulb setting by the meters, look like what these two pictures show as you described in your original post?

If so, try using a single edge razor and gently seperate the rubber housing from the metal plate (as shown) for each bulb? Could be that the rubber had basically glued itself to the metal (after all these years?). Just maybe that will get you started on trying to loosen the whole housing of the bulb inorder to remove it? Do you know if the bulbs had ever been changed before? Nice tuner by the way.

Attachments

• 334062-legendary_sony_st5000fw__best_sony_tuner_ever__sony_5000f.jpg
    334062-legendary_sony_st5000fw__best_sony_tuner_ever__sony_5000f.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 334065-legendary_sony_st5000fw__best_sony_tuner_ever__sony_5000f.jpg
    334065-legendary_sony_st5000fw__best_sony_tuner_ever__sony_5000f.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Yes the damn things are usually glue in and the base is corroded and you have to carefully remove the bulb usually braking the glass. Radio Shack part number 272-1143 works well for these.

If possible, could you post a picture of the exact layout of the bulbs in their housing? :scratch2:

EDIT:

Does the inside, for the bulb setting by the meters, look like what these two pictures show as you described in your original post?

If so, try using a single edge razor and gently seperate the rubber housing from the metal plate (as shown) for each bulb? Could be that the rubber had basically glued itself to the metal (after all these years?). Just maybe that will get you started on trying to loosen the whole housing of the bulb inorder to remove it? Do you know if the bulbs had ever been changed before? Nice tuner by the way.

Mine looks exactly like yours. I suspected the metal plate that surrounds the bulb housings would have to come off in order to loosen those housings up but I prefer to ask for advice first before I dive in.

It is a nice tuner. Mike realigned it and it has been recapped. It works very well. I suspect the bulbs are original. I plan on replacing these bulbs and the dim stereo lamp with an LED then it goes on Fleabay. I don't have any separates to use it with anymore.

Thanks for the advice. Mike, thanks for that part number.

.....Mine looks exactly like yours. I suspected the metal plate that surrounds the bulb housings would have to come off in order to loosen those housings up......

Well I don't have a Sony TF-5000F-FW, those two pictures are off the internet when I did a quick search, was just trying to get an idea of the setup and what you were to encounter that's all. You just might be correct about removing the entire metal plate in order to make things a bit easier.

Good Luck with the out come!

Back
Top Bottom