Cr-450

moschops

Greetings Yamaheads,

Recently I had the good fortune to run into a free CR-450. This is my first experience with Yamaha and a search for info for this unit quickly revealed that relatively little is known about it. The consensus seems to be this was an update of the CR400 to better handle 4ohm speakers, and precedes the x20 and x40 families.

My unit was found pretty grimey but cleaned up nicely. Sonically, one channel was a bit touch & go, which I traced to a flakey/dirty relay. After cleaning the relay as well as deoxiting all the controls it is sounding great. Idle current was adjusted to factory spec and the offset was measured at 8mV R, 13mV L. Offset is apparently not adjustable on this receiver.

I'm planning on recapping this one and figured I'd replace the relay at the same time if there is a drop-in replacement available. It is listed in the manual as MX-2P0. Looking at current Omrons, the closest one looks wise is this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Industrial/MY2N-DC12S/?qs=kyocjfxn8IquIyT93L/LYH/uRNOB644E

Is anyone here familiar enough with the MX-2P0 to be able to confirm the MY2N as a replacement, or point me to something more suitable?

I am also curious if the tuner in this is the same as in the CR600/800 units. It has the same giant dial string pulley. It sure sounds nice. :yes:

Thanks!

Caution: photos below NSFW!

Attachments

• cr450a.jpg
    cr450a.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 73
  • cr450b.jpg
    cr450b.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 47
  • cr450tuna.jpg
    cr450tuna.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 57
  • cr450relay.jpg
    cr450relay.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Thanks, Avionic. Would an LY2-0-DC12 work?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtSzCF3XBhmW4KUON3CmQ5Om0oU/V5bSRY=

Ideally, I'm trying to find something at Mouser as I already have a cart there filled with caps.

No..coil pins are offset from contact pins.

Ideally from Omron you need a MY2-02-DC12 the -02 is code for PCB pin.

The first one you selected can be made to work (MY2N-DC12) but you will need to trim down the pins or enlargen the circuit board holes. Or find a PCB mounted relay socket.
Your in luck...PCB socket mount
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Industrial/PY08-02/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs8I5ltipPMALHKVUd5BQL7

Last edited:
I've got this 450 mostly recapped. Just waiting on some new filter caps and the new relay. Looks and sounds wonderful for a lower-end model--although, being as this model had no siblings, I guess you could say it is TotL. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 319
I love the CR series - every one of them. They all sound great, and the small ones even more impressive because you really don't expect as much out of them considering their size and simplicity. Nice unit you have there! Looks to be in exceptional condition... let me know if you decide to "ahem" sell it! ;) :deal:

. Idle current was adjusted to factory spec and the offset was measured at 8mV R, 13mV L. Offset is apparently not adjustable on this receiver.

I am also curious if the tuner in this is the same as in the CR600/800 units. It has the same giant dial string pulley. It sure sounds nice. :yes:

Must we understand that you have the service manual for tjhe CR-450?

As far as I know, the CR-450 has the same tuner as the CR-400, but the amplifier section is more powerful than the CR-600

Yes, I have a manual. Here's the amp adjustment section. Perhaps there is a place to add VR pots to adjust offset?

Attachments

• 450idle.jpg
    450idle.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 450schem.jpg
    450schem.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I won't bother with the offset it is fine where its at..:thmbsp:

I've got this 450 mostly recapped. Just waiting on some new filter caps and the new relay. Looks and sounds wonderful for a lower-end model--although, being as this model had no siblings, I guess you could say it is TotL. :D

attachment.php

That's a REALLY NICE looking little receiver you have there!. :thmbsp: I particularly like it in its "natural" setting with the leaf on and around it , only seems right for the natural sound series...:D ok I'm going to test my horticulture knowledge and take a stab at.....Ficus species? Ficus benjamina :banana:

I can confirm that the MY2N-DC12 relay and socket mount will not fit this receiver. While the pin out pattern is identical, the pins are spaced a bit further apart. Also, the relay footprint is larger so even if the pins lined up other components on the board are in the way.

However, I was able to make the relay work by adding some short wire legs. At first I thought it might be too flimsy, but it after getting it soldered in, the relay is actually quite firmly in place and operates as it should.

Nearly done with the recap--of course I was ONE cap short on my order. :tears:

Aafpo.jpg

nyZSh.jpg

Yes, I have a manual. Here's the amp adjustment section. Perhaps there is a place to add VR pots to adjust offset?

moschops,
I'm trying to fix a friends Yamaha CR-450. Could I please get a copy of the service manual from you?
Thanks,
Rick

I am just having a look at the service manual for this amp ....Idle current 50mV+/-,10mV seems very high?...

Back
Top Bottom