Newbie Question about Yamaha Vintage Receivers

PRM

Hello all,

I am as of now not a Yamaha owner. My audio history is of being a McIntosh owner and SET audio. I have always admired Yamaha equipment. I am interested in acquiring a receiver such as the CR era. I am open to suggestions. My speakers are 100 db plus and my listening room is small. I run cd, turntable, and open reel as sources. If possible please post photos of what you might suggest and a big thanks for your helping me on this. :>)

CR-620

PioneerCR-62005_zpsca78668d.jpg

50W x 2 @ 4 ohms, 40W x 2 @ 8 ohms;
frequency response 20Hz to 20kHz
FM Front End with NFB-PLL Multiplex Decoder.
Pilot Tone Suppression (Special Active Filter)
FM Muting; FM Mono. Tape-to-Tape (1>2/2>1).
Tone Controls (Bass/Treble), Filter (Low/High).
Continuously-Adjustable Loudness.
Separated Input/Output Switches for Simultaneous Operating.
Analog Meters (Signal Strenght/Center Tune/Multipath).
Speaker Selection (A, B), 2 Headphone Jacks.

Last edited:
I have a setup in my home office/ man cave with a CR-620, U-Turn Orbit, and Klipsch KG2.5 speakers. Love it.

Yup, I have a cr 420, and 620. Great sounding receivers. Anything xx20 series is very well respected. Yammie love here:D

Yamaha CR-820 receiver.

yamaha_cr-820_stereo_receiver.jpg

70W x 2 @ 4 ohms, 55W x 2 @ 8 ohms
FM Front End with NFB-PLL Multiplex Decoder.
Pilot Tone Suppression (Phase/Level Counter-Signal)
FM Muting (OTS, Auto AFC Circuit); FM Mono.
Tone Controls (Bass/Middle/Treble), Filter (Low/High).
Continuously-Adjustable Loudness. Tape-Monitor.
Separated Input/Output Switches for Simultaneous Operating.
Analog Meters (Signal Strenght/Center Tune/Multipath).
Speaker Selection (A, B), 2 Headphone Jacks.

And of course, you move up from those, into the:

CR-1000
CR-1020
CR-1040
CR-2020
CR-2040

and the ultimate...

CR-3020

cr30207hz.jpg

CR

I have a CR-840 I'm very impressed with. Most people prefer the 00 or 20 series, I believe because they use discrete outputs instead of power packs. As efficient as your speakers are, a CR 600/800 or 620/820 might be right up your alley. 100 db plus speakers and a small listening area, a 3020 is probably kind of overkill, unless you want to own the baddest receiver Yamaha ever made.

Last edited:
I have a CR400 I bought new in 1976 ... at 17w/ch its a bit underpowered.
I suggest you go up from there.
I'd recommend CR600/620 or CR800/820 - they should hit a happy medium for you
with good features, sweet sound, and adequate power. Oh, those older Yamaha had fairly good tuners, if that matters ...

Last edited:
Thank you all !

I want to thank all of you for your help and support. Great to know there is help and friendship here. Your feedback and recommendations have help me. Now is time to go searching.

Yamaha Service

Oh I forgot to ask if there is anyone who you all would recommend for servicing Yamaha equipment. I live in the southeast but shipping would not be a problem. Just want someone good and honest. Thanks again my friends.

If money (cost) is not a particular concern, I'd recommend a CR-1000 or CR-2020.
As far as I am concerned, though, they're all rather nice.

I don't have a good recommendation for you for a service person - I would think any of the well-respected solid state "techs" (FWIW, I don't care for that term, it seems condescending to me -- these guys do stuff I cannot; I think they deserve a better moniker than technician!) on AK's front page would be fine choices.

DSC_8052 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

I too have a CR-820 and love it. It's my first Yamaha. I don't know how they do it, but they do produce a different, warmer sound.

I too have a CR-820 and love it. It's my first Yamaha. I don't know how they do it, but they do produce a different, warmer sound.

It's funny because "warmer sound" is usually one of the least used descriptions of Yamaha amps and receivers. Most describe them as accurate and detailed. I'm not saying you're wrong; just the warmth characteristic caught my attention.:yes:

It's funny because "warmer sound" is usually one of the least used descriptions of Yamaha amps and receivers. Most describe them as accurate and detailed. I'm not saying you're wrong; just the warmth characteristic caught my attention.:yes:

I have to agree. I've been messing with a newly acquired CR-620 recently and it's detailed and accurate, but certainly not warm. It's quite different from the Sansui 2000x and Marantz 2230 (cap coupled output) receivers that previously sat in its place.

Back
Top Bottom