SP-1 Crossover

Spectersound

I have a set of old SP-1 speakers, and the crossovers have seen better days. I am not an electronics guy, but I can solder. The problems that I have at this time are, A: I have not been able to track down a 100v 3uF cap for direct replacement. From the older posts that lead me to this forum I found replacing these caps that are almost as old as I am is a great start. I have found a 3.3uF cap, but do not know the effect of a different value on the x-over points. And, B: I have a component that I am unsure of what it is. I would venture to guess it is a coil, but cannot see any #s or values listed. One of these is broken off the board in a way that it will need replaced as opposed to re-soldered.
These are, what I believe to be, first Gen sp-1s. Square back woofer, and square back 22 driver. Any help would be appriciated.

Sorry to have taken so long, but have been stuck with more O/T than normal. Here is a pic of the coils(?) the legs are both broken off the board, and are quite short.

Attachments

• SP1 ISSUEMK2.jpg
    SP1 ISSUEMK2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 12
I'd effect a repair on the broken legs, cleaned and soldered well.

Then, i'd use copious amounts of RTV silicone to secure the coils to that board so they do not stress the wire leads like they have been for the last 40 years.

Those square CTS built 22A's are none too common these days.

I would keep my eyes open for a pair of early style 4 ohm Black Widows with the aluminum dust cap to replace those early CTS woofers. The BW is a significant upgrade.

Yes, those cabinets are a significant impedance matching device, to produce an 8 ohm load they need to be loaded with a 4 ohm driver.

bowtie427ss, how do I repair coil with legs being so short? Do I remove more wire from the coil? I would think that would alter the value of the coil. would it be better to replace with a new coil? And speaking of replacement, how would I measure the inductance value? As far as the 15" driver, I has considered re-coning the CTS, since parts express is just a hop skip and a jump from me. But, when reading other posts on the forum, I found that the Peavey 1504 BW is the modern replacement for this cabinet. Thanks to you, westend, and apachef1 for your comments......all help is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom