Is this Polk Tweeter Repairable????

racfan9

Good Evening All.
Friday I picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 10's. Got them home hooked them up and realized right away one of them had a bad tweeter. Didn't take long to figure out the problem. Now for the million dollar question (actually a $10 question since that's what I paid for them), Is this tweeter repairable and if so How does one go about it? That's awful small wire to deal with.

Thanks,
racfan9

Attachments

• 20140901_210011.jpg
    20140901_210011.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20140901_205824.jpg
    20140901_205824.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20140901_210043.jpg
    20140901_210043.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I am not that good with a soldering iron so I would probably find someone local parting out a pair of Polks or go on ebay and look. You could also go to the Polk website and look for someone selling that tweet.
Even if you spend 20.00 for a replacement the 30.00 invested in a pair of 10's is well worth it.

The Polk SL2000 tweeter shouldn't be too hard to find. One lead looks to have hot knifed itself, and the coil looks bent.

Replace.

Repair is not worth the trouble and could be fairly tedious.

Good Evening All.
Friday I picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 10's. Got them home hooked them up and realized right away one of them had a bad tweeter. Didn't take long to figure out the problem. Now for the million dollar question (actually a $10 question since that's what I paid for them), Is this tweeter repairable and if so How does one go about it? That's awful small wire to deal with.

Thanks, racfan9

This is a common problem with aging SL2000 tweeters on the Monitor series that used them It happened to one of the ones on My Monitor 10B's. They are not repairable. Do yourself a favor replace them both with Polk's direct drop in replacement the RDO-194 they are superior to the SL-2000 tweeter, I can give you a first hand testimonial to this. Go to the Polk Audio website, become a friend of Polk Audio, that is register into the Polk Audio forum and you get a discount and free shipping. If you paid $10 dollars for those Monitor 10's even with bad tweeters you stole them. :yes: Polk has the replacement drivers all except the passive radiator. Rebuild the crossovers and when you are done you will have a speaker that even to this day is hard to equal.

Last edited:
^ What he said! Although joining the "new improved" Polk website.....well you'll see. lol

You got a nice deal on those! No magnet shift on the midwoofers I assume? The RDO tweeters are the preferred way to go for sure.

FYI... Polk Audio no longer ships for free... I had to pay for shipping when I got my RDO194s and I am a long standing member on their club...

FYI... Polk Audio no longer ships for free... I had to pay for shipping when I got my RDO194s and I am a long standing member on their club...

I says there is free shipping: "Free Shipping on All Orders! 1-866-764-1801" right at the top.

I hate the new format for the forums. :thumbsdn:

Last edited:
You should be able to find another tweeter on the Polk Forum for not much money. You might even be able to find one here on BT, but you'll have to pony up the $25 subscriber fee.

There is a 100 post rule to see the Classifieds section at the Polk forum. Ebay might be the best bet for an original one if he wants out cheap. If I had one I would send it to him.

I have these available. They are out of a set of Cizek Monitors

Gold back Peerless which is pretty much the same thing but perhaps a bit better quality? I think the magnets are slightly larger so you might have to open the hole a little larger

PM if your interested

rTcddoL.jpg

SL 2000's are lame, everyone swaps them out for the 194's...

As I said above I have had both, in My 10B's I purchased new in 1988. The RDO-194's are much better. Over on The Polk forum there is a low level flame war going over which tweeter is better the Peerless, or the RDO-194. If I can get a new replacement I always go new with speakers, unless there is good reason not too. Northwinds' Peerless look good but make sure they will work properly with your crossover setup. This would be an excellent question for the people at the Polk Forum.

Last edited:
I have these available. They are out of a set of Cizek Monitors

Gold back Peerless which is pretty much the same thing but perhaps a bit better quality? I think the magnets are slightly larger so you might have to open the hole a little larger

PM if your interested

rTcddoL.jpg

can't use these without crossover mods...they are not drop in replacements...

can't use these without crossover mods...they are not drop in replacements...

I didn't think so, but wasn't sure. Racfan9 please you have a fantastic pair of speakers do yourself a favor and get the RDO-194's. My 10B's ran a fowl of a early Sony AVR trashing one speaker with a shot of Direct Current, and they sat unused for a number of years. I purchased an Onkyo AVR and I decided to repair the 10B's to get me by until I could replace them with something better. It was then I learned what I had, and once I completely refurbished them it became, what am I going to find that is as good for any price I could hope to afford. They now anchor a 5.1 system which is all Polk Audio which the exception of a Klipsch subwoofer. It is built for music and it does a fantastic job. If I ever replace the 10B's it will be with another pair Polk Audio speakers and I will be prepared to spend some bucks to actually get something better :yes:

Yep, if you had the SL tweet, the Peerless would need mods done to the XO's. Not worth it imo when the RDO is a better tweeter. And is a direct drop in replacement.

And I have never heard about this "low level flame war" thingy about the RDO and Peerless tweets. Pretty much everyone prefers the RDO from what I have ever read.

There is a pair of SL2000 tweets for sale for $30 on the Polk Forum right now. If interested, PM me with your email address and I'll ask the seller to contact you. Unless you are a member of the forum and have over 100 posts, you cannot see the threads on the Polk for sale forum.

Yep, if you had the SL tweet, the Peerless would need mods done to the XO's. Not worth it imo when the RDO is a better tweeter. And is a direct drop in replacement.

And I have never heard about this "low level flame war" thingy about the RDO and Peerless tweets. Pretty much everyone prefers the RDO from what I have ever read.

It is more like a pilot light war. The RDO-194 is new and better so it is sort of I like the original sound thing. :D

Been there, failed to do that, OP.

I had my heart set on Northwinds Peerless tweets (which are indeed fabulous) and ended up just sitting this project on the shelf for now.

I'll end up with RDO-194's eventually, just not right now.

My Monitor 10B's sat unused for more then 5 years before I decided to refurbish them, they an wait. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom