Please help identify these speakers

RJolly87

Spawned off of this thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=612470

Pictures that I have:

This is what I know (most of which is mentioned in the previous thread):
Cabinet is 14" wide, 23.5" tall, 12.5" deep, excluding the front trim.
12" woofer, Horn tweeter outlet is 9.5" x 2.5", and spans horizontally across the top. No ports or additional drivers have been located.
There is also what appears to be a cone shape deflector 4" in diameter mounted in front of the woofer, with two sets of numbers, SP2, and 140401-1
Weight is moderate for their size
Speaker wire is integrated, and comes out the lower left corner of the back.
10 screws surround the perimeter of the back panel, however there also seems to be something else sealing the back panel. There is no apparent way in or out of the cabinets.
An early suggestion was given of 1970's vintage Heathkits, however it seems that they oriented the few horn tweeter setups they had differently. The setup reminds me of a configuration seen with Magnavox, but no luck there yet either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The is no markings or logos anywhere.

I will try and sweet talk the backs off.

Did someone change the back panel and hardwire the speaker cable? If not, it's a very bad sign that you don't have any binding posts. Speakers that had wire coming straight out of the back were VERY cheap quality. Pry the back off. It'll come off with some effort.

Did someone change the back panel and hardwire the speaker cable? If not, it's a very bad sign that you don't have any binding posts. Speakers that had wire coming straight out of the back were VERY cheap quality. Pry the back off. It'll come off with some effort.

I guess my Braun L810 are cheap. I thought they were quality. They sounded pretty good to me.:dunno:

Okay, I just committed to it and finally got it off. Just had to work smarter, not harder.

Pics:

Well... I guess that's that. I am going to hit the interweb to try and get more info on these. Feedback and other info is welcome too. Thanks for the shove guys :)

Seems like the general feedback on the S-62 is a bunch of 'meh'. Beyond that, I can't find much of anything.

Cool to know about the Braun speakers. Obviously, there are some exceptions to the rule.

Regarding the OP's speakers... Those magnavox drivers can sound nice on old jazz, but they can be pretty harsh on rock.

Regarding the OP's speakers... Those magnavox drivers can sound nice on old jazz, but they can be pretty harsh on rock.
Agreed.

That particular Utah woofer won't dig deep in any alignment, but damping 3 sides of the interior will likely "clean" them up a bit.

The other caveat is that horn. It doesn't play high enough to be considered a tweeter, and doesn't play low enough to be a worthy midrange.

I'd do one of 3 things with them, curb, free to anybody, inject them into a relative's garage sale.

I remember these Magnavox systems. They where very popular in the late 1960's in Cheyenne, a local furniture store sold them. What I remember about them was they seem to all be used to play what we would call lounge music today. Not turned up very loud. At lower volume levels they where very smooth. They did not suffer the Beatles very well. Put "The Rat Pack" on and lower the volume and it was smooth sailing. By modern standards as has been pointed out they leave a great deal to be desired.

I am listening the "Martini In The Morning" (link below) right now my Polk Monitor 10B's are lapping it up like cream. I swear to the Audio Gods this station is like chewing gum you simply can't stop once you start listening to it.

Hook the Magnavox's up and lower the volume and feed them this and you will see what I mean.
http://tunein.com/radio/Martini-In-The-Morning-s55412/

Last edited:
I have had an idea. It seems that they are tall enough to get away with using them as end tables, and end tables are something I am short on right now. The cabinets and fabric are presentable enough to get away with it in the bachelor pad. They will likely go on the secondary output of the rack system, and roll when I want low key music across the house. It sounds like it would really play to their strengths in that environment. I also have a set of Zenith Allegro speakers that would play in to this strategy too. Then when it is time for maximum audio assault, kill the secondary channel and let the Party system do what it does best, maximum loudage.

It even has me considering recapping them. I may have to place and wire them before I decide to dump more money in to them.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I simply wanted to follow up on these. Everybody's comments on these are spot on. I bought them with the wrong expectations, and was disappointed. Thankfully the pair was only $25.

However, all is not lost. They make perfect small end tables, that can lazily waft big band easy listening through the small room they are in. They don't look half bad either. I do want to warn of what was mentioned previously also, the moment you try to crank classic rock on these, is the very same moment that they will turn your guts inside out, and make your head explode, and not in a good way either.

I am still on the fence about recapping these though. It seems like one horn buzzes a bit off and on, but as soon as I try and start focusing in on it to figure it out it stops. They are not worth placing an order for caps, but I may deal them in the next time something is worth recapping.

BTW, thanks a lot for the link to the station. That definitely is worth listening to!

Back
Top Bottom