Vandersteen Model 2 which version

bzb882

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked up a pair of these last week. I undersand there's a way to tell from the serial numbers which vesrion they are. Mine are 46048 C and 46049 C. I'd like to have some idea as to which woofers they have and whether or not I have to worry about there being foam surrounds (I can repalce them, but I don't want to pull the sock for no reason).

I once talked to Richard V. About bad foam on 1B woofers. He said to shine a light through the sock material to see if the surrounds looked white. If they did then there should be concern about replacing foam. You might want to call the manufacturer to talk about the age of the speakers, but I know first hand that they do not track SN closely.....great speakers though.

If there are no extra letters after the C at the end of the serial numbers, it sounds like they are Vandersteen 2C

Here's the timeline, according to some notes I jotted down when collecting my 2 pairs ... (not my words - quoted from other sources)

1977 – Vandersteen Model 2 debuted
1979 – Vandersteen Model 2a
1980 – Vandersteen Model 2b
1980 – Vandersteen Model 2c - last model using perishable foam surrounds
1989 – Vandersteen Model 2ci - 1st model using butyl rubber surrounds
1992 – Vandersteen Model 2ce

The first four versions (2, 2a, 2b, 2c) are not necessarily to be
avoided, but are far more prone to have numerous age-related issues.
The main issue is that the woofer edges deteriorate and require
service. Prior to 1989 all of the woofers had flexible foam rubber
surrounds, which typically only lasted about 15 years – I doubt if there is a
single example of those four models without deteriorated foam
surrounds that would need to be replaced. With the introduction of the 1989
Model 2ci version, the flexible surrounds were changed to butyl
rubber, and all subsequent models have that surround. This accounts for the
huge disparity in resale values for models manufactured prior to 1989.

The Cabinet was taller beginning with the 2CE model, so the stands are
shorter to maintain correct height for the tweeter, etc.
=========== end quotes ===============

I picked up a pair of these last week. I understand there's a way to tell from the serial numbers which version they are. Mine are 46048 C and 46049 C. I'd like to have some idea as to which woofers they have and whether or not I have to worry about there being foam surrounds (I can replace them, but I don't want to pull the sock for no reason).

Dumb, but lucky me. I spent an hour pulling the sock off one to see if I neded to refoam; butyl rubber all around. I even too pics. Put the sock back on, went to double-check the serial # so I'd know which one I removed, and notce an "i" after the "C" - right on the border between the silver are and the black. They're 2Ci...

If there are no extra letters after the C at the end of the serial numbers, it sounds like they are Vandersteen 2C

Here's the timeline, according to some notes I jotted down when collecting my 2 pairs ... (not my words - quoted from other sources)

1977 – Vandersteen Model 2 debuted
1979 – Vandersteen Model 2a
1980 – Vandersteen Model 2b
1980 – Vandersteen Model 2c - last model using perishable foam surrounds
1989 – Vandersteen Model 2ci - 1st model using butyl rubber surrounds
1992 – Vandersteen Model 2ce

The first four versions (2, 2a, 2b, 2c) are not necessarily to be
avoided, but are far more prone to have numerous age-related issues.
The main issue is that the woofer edges deteriorate and require
service. Prior to 1989 all of the woofers had flexible foam rubber
surrounds, which typically only lasted about 15 years – I doubt if there is a
single example of those four models without deteriorated foam
surrounds that would need to be replaced. With the introduction of the 1989
Model 2ci version, the flexible surrounds were changed to butyl
rubber, and all subsequent models have that surround. This accounts for the
huge disparity in resale values for models manufactured prior to 1989.

The Cabinet was taller beginning with the 2CE model, so the stands are
shorter to maintain correct height for the tweeter, etc.
=========== end quotes ===============

That should be a sticky. Great info! I sold the originals in 77 at a stereo shop in Pittsburgh and liked them. I had Quads at home. Old Vandys are a steal these days.

Dumb, but lucky me. I spent an hour pulling the sock off one to see if I neded to refoam; butyl rubber all around. I even too pics. Put the sock back on, went to double-check the serial # so I'd know which one I removed, and noticed an "i" after the "C" - right on the border between the silver are and the black. They're 2Ci...

2Cis are NICE - congrats on snagging them.
I've had a lot of JBLs (4341 Monitors, L100T3s etc), and various DCM TimeFrames in that room,
but now I have a pair of 2Ces for mains and 2Cis for sides and these Vandys seem to be keepers.
Especially at the price they are going for - killer deals!

That should be a sticky. Great info!
I agree. Vandersteen himself said he doesn't have info on his website about different models and years they were made. I'd really like to see something like this for all the models. I also have 2Ci

The rubber surrounds do come unglued sometimes. That happen to me. Just reglue them, hardest part of the job is all those staples! Nice grab, enjoy them.

+1 on the glue for the rubber surrounds deteriorating on the front firing 8" and rear firing 10". I also had the glue that anchors the spider to the frame let loose on one of the 10's.

- Michael

I picked up a pair of these last week. I undersand there's a way to tell from the serial numbers which vesrion they are. Mine are 46048 C and 46049 C. I'd like to have some idea as to which woofers they have and whether or not I have to worry about there being foam surrounds (I can repalce them, but I don't want to pull the sock for no reason).

Just call Vandersteen next time you have a question, they'll help you figure out what you've got and what sort of repairs might be required. They want to keep their old speakers going.

I suggest you try backing off on the midrange control, I'd be interested to hear where you like it best.

The 2Ci has a thermal cutout on the rear Aux Woofer. Play some tracks with powerful bass at a healthy level and they will cut out after about 10 minutes of play.

My 2C's are 25772/25773 and I have the boxes . . . right after getting them a few years ago, I heard about the foam/butyl concern and contacted Mr. V . . . he promptly replied telling me I had butyl surrounds and didn't need to worry about it??? I still love these things on my setup!

Come to think of it I have a pair of woofers that came out of 2c's (no i or e) and they are the vifa's with butyl surrounds and the big 35 ounce magnets just like the ones in the ce's.
Jim

Last edited:
There were design changes, sometimes fairly significant such as driver changes within the production run without any change in the letter designation, as I understand it.

figured I would give this thread a bump instead of starting a new one. a set of Vandersteen Model II popped up in my area, but I am having difficulty identifying them, year made, what to look for etc.

as always, thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• vandersteen.jpg
    vandersteen.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 247
LOVED my 2c's!!! Sadly fried a midrange and chose not to have them repaired. Would not hesitate to buy another pair

wow moe, you put a lot of effort into those! I am about to travel the same road. do you have part numbers? the foam in these is long gone.
bought these from a kid who had no idea what they were and was being forced to get them out of mom and dad's basement, for $40 I couldn't say no! although I think my wife would beg to differ with my choice.

Back
Top Bottom