Infinity Column II Project Log

Snerp

I solder while you sleep...
I'm starting a project log for my Column II restoration. I picked these babies up for $20. They're in pretty bad shape, but I'm hoping I can get them singing and looking like new. There aren't many of these left, so It's worth the work.

The hard part will be getting them looking new. The veneer is chipped and scratched pretty bad in some spots. I'm not sure what route to go. If it's looking like a full re-veneer is needed, I may just strip it all and go for a black enamel.

Anyway, I have surrounds in the mail. I plan on ordering caps soon. I think I'll be using AXON caps. I was really happy with how they sounded in my Monitor Jr. If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmp_20140206_2032122037247856.jpg
    tmp_20140206_2032122037247856.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 668
  • tmp_20131209_1855201963810938.jpg
    tmp_20131209_1855201963810938.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 656
  • tmp_20140206_203226151263423.jpg
    tmp_20140206_203226151263423.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 667
  • tmp_20131209_185129-776531552.jpg
    tmp_20131209_185129-776531552.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
Hey! We should collaborate on this. I am working on a set of Column IIs for another AK member too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! We should collaborate on this. I am working on a set of Column IIs for another AK member too.

Really? That's awesome! Have you guys got started yet?

I had a set that I restored about 3 years ago. Actually the bottom woofers are different than the front ones. If you like bass you will be happy. Very rare speakers and fantastic sound. Usually one of the tweeters are blown.

Really? That's awesome! Have you guys got started yet?

I just picked them up yesterday. Need to assess and order the surrounds. Might do a recap. Remains to be seen what the scope is.

If I end up stripping the veneer, my brother in law to be has a paint booth and sprayer. All I'd have to do is buy the paint. That's looking more and more like the better option.

I need to rebuild one of the grills, so I'll probably replace the cloth on both. I also need to get another piece of glass for the top since the guy who sold them to me couldn't find one.

The one thing that really surprised me was the velcro the grills used. That must have been cutting edge for the time. Really quite impressive.

I had a set that I restored about 3 years ago. Actually the bottom woofers are different than the front ones. If you like bass you will be happy. Very rare speakers and fantastic sound. Usually one of the tweeters are blown.

Do you have any info on them that you'd like to share?

It just so happens, I love bass. The bottom woofers have both the dust caps trashed. Could you get me some pics of yours? I see that they are partially doped with that black goop Infinity was so fond of in the 70s. What should I do when replacing the dustcaps? I don't want to reduce the weight of the cone by not adding something back to it.

If the tweeters are blown, I'm going for emits...

I just picked them up yesterday. Need to assess and order the surrounds. Might do a recap. Remains to be seen what the scope is.

Plan on recapping. The before and after will blow you away.

That Phillips midrange is excellent. You could always swap out those tweeters for a pair of EMIT's.
These tweeters are always on sale at 'da 'bay.
Here's my thread on my Qb restoration:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=552896
Mike

Really nice complete restoration on those Qbs Mike! Over the top and very well thought out. Just the way I like it.

It just so happens, I love bass. The bottom woofers have both the dust caps trashed. Could you get me some pics of yours? I see that they are partially doped with that black goop Infinity was so fond of in the 70s. What should I do when replacing the dustcaps? I don't want to reduce the weight of the cone by not adding something back to it.

You can replace with any felt or paper dust cap. If you are concerned about the doping material you could always treat the dust cap with a quick spray of automotive sound absorbing material. It's probably the closest you'll find to that doping material. Comes in spray cans and the best one out there is by Eastwood. It looks thick and bubbly when applied, but actually dries pretty flat and uniform. I use it on the insides of cabinets where Dynamat won't stick or won't fit. It's also good to paint the backs of woofer frames.

http://www.eastwood.com/flex-263-sound-deadener-and-sealer-16-oz-aero.html

Last edited:
Checking on progress and supplementing with my own Column II project for Edroom.

Just getting started. The plan is to refoam and recap. Hopefully all the drivers are working.

12471747035_aed35ca016_b.jpg

12472240924_942d941940_b.jpg

12472246614_0313a7e2c2_b.jpg

The cabinets and grills on these are pristine. Should be smooth sailing.

You can replace with any felt or paper dust cap. If you are concerned about the doping material you could always treat the dust cap with a quick spray of automotive sound absorbing material. It's probably the closest you'll find to that doping material. Comes in spray cans and the best one out there is by Eastwood. It looks thick and bubbly when applied, but actually dries pretty flat and uniform. I use it on the insides of cabinets where Dynamat won't stick or won't fit. It's also good to paint the backs of woofer frames.

http://www.eastwood.com/flex-263-sound-deadener-and-sealer-16-oz-aero.html

awesome. I think that will do the trick. I purchased 2 dust caps already. They look like they will do nicely.

Checking on progress and supplementing with my own Column II project for Edroom.

Just getting started. The plan is to refoam and recap. Hopefully all the drivers are working.

12471747035_aed35ca016_b.jpg

12472240924_942d941940_b.jpg

12472246614_0313a7e2c2_b.jpg

The cabinets and grills on these are pristine. Should be smooth sailing.

I'll trade ya :)

Pristine isn't half of it. Those are beautiful. Mine look like they survived three tours in 'Nam.

Well, I purchased caps last night. I'm getting 4 6.2mfd to replace the 2 12mfd and 2 3.6mfd to.replace the 3.5. They are a little high, but the extra .4 and .1 s well within reason.

I went with AXON caps from parts connection in Canada. With shipping, it's only running me $25.90 for caps for the Column II, a pair of A70, and a pair of AR7. The caps sound amazing. I used them on my Monitor Jr. I really suggest taking a look at this site and these caps.

Should get here with in two weeks. I'll update when I get going.

I see that they are partially doped with that black goop Infinity was so fond of in the 70s. What should I do when replacing the dustcaps? I don't want to reduce the weight of the cone by not adding something back to it.

For the black goop I use black Pliobond adhesive and a liquid butyl rubber I got from a tire install/repair shop. I later found it at a auto parts store. It stays slightly tacky. If you want the black look with out the sticky, try a product called "The Wet Look" from parts express. It also work well to add life back to very brittle paper cones. It's made a few old drivers usable although the no longer look original.

I have to reorder the surrounds. The ones I got from Rick Cobb have angle attachment lips. Grrrr. But my caps are in from Parts Express and I plan to recap this weekend.

I have to reorder the surrounds. The ones I got from Rick Cobb have angle attachment lips. Grrrr. But my caps are in from Parts Express and I plan to recap this weekend.

Do you want the info of my surrounds guy? I haven't refoamed yet, but they look like they're going to work.

I'm off to Home Desperate (Home Depot) to get steel wool, sand paper, and the veneer striping for the Infinities, boiled linseed oil for the turntable, and dryer vent tube for a hot air intake on my new civic hybrid...it's going to be a busy weekend!

I went with iron on veneer and oh my goodness does it look nice! Check it out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmp_20140301_1547221989751099.jpg
    tmp_20140301_1547221989751099.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 302
I went for it today. I installed new feet since one was missing, finished my sanding, used restore-a-finish, and finished up with Feed-n-wax.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm pleased with the results. I came through the veneer on one of the top pieces on the corners pretty good, but it isn't that big of a deal. The old veneer was really brittle and splintered. I lost a few pieces in the "refinishing". It was so poorly cared for. I, for the life of me, don't understand why someone would dump that kind of money into a set of speakers and then neglect them.

My only real gripe is the new veneer is a different color. It isn't nearly as bad as the pictures make it out to be. The flash makes it stand out. I think I may take the time to try for a match...we'll see.

*edit* Sorry about the photos...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom