Mission 780's

fuzzywobbles

Lunatic Member
Picked up a pair of Mission 780's with beech finish.
vu6evazu.jpg

a8ynagev.jpg
jahevaga.jpg

Looked to be in great shape when i ran out at lunch to get them cheap. Got home and hooked them up and one woofer is fuzzy and the other doesnt work at all. Lookibg closer it appears these may be the defective woofers.
uju9u4ep.jpg

zusu6ehu.jpg

I remember reading that the replacement woofer deal has expired. Anyone know what i would likely need to put into these to get them back up and running? I have a pair of older Mission 761's and enjoy them,

yze8esyq.jpg

so am really intrigued by the possibilities with the 780's if the cost isnt ridiculous.

Thanks,

So far the little i have found out seems to say that Mission doesnt even carry the woofers anymore and recommends replacement with 782 woofers as the closest match. However the 782 is a different cone material.

That got me thinking whether a different manufacturer's woofer might be an option since they wouldn't be original specs anyways. Any ideas on other 5" woofers that would be worth looking at? Here are the rest of the specs again.

a7upyre8.jpg

Their made by Audax the French speaker Company, I would check ebay UK that's
where a lot of parts are for these guy's.

Tube

Last edited:
So, I haven't done jack about getting replacement bass drivers for the 780s. This is partially due to me loving the vintage 761's I listen to everyday.

Was thinking of recapping them as suggested and the a thought occurred to me. I am considering swapping in the crossover/ biampable binding posts from the 780s along with the updated tweeters.

The specs on the 761 bass driver state a response to 58 Hz and the 780s crossover states a response to 65 Hz. I am not too concerned with the possible loss on the bass response as they will be played with a pair of Klipsch Fortes that will more than compensate. It seems like a good idea in theory, but any thoughts on anything I'm missing?

Also considering canabilizing the newer caps in the 780's while I'm at it?

The result that is bouncing around in my head is biamped, recapped, updated tweeter super761's. Or I may just destroy a pair of speakers I truly enjoy?

Last edited:
Love Mission speakers! Dynamic, rhythmic and very low distortion. Beauties! Congrats on the new speakers.

I owned a pair of Mission 780s which had both drivers replaced a year or so ago by an approved repairer. The new woofers were indeed a different material than the originals, but were recommended by Mission as being an appropriate substitute. They sounded sensational to my ears!

They looked like this (disregard the different coloured tweeters - I had to replace one with a new equivalent, as the fragile original tweeter had died):

Mission7805_zps00de941f.jpg

782 woofers are 6.5" and will not fit.

Don't muck around with cannibalising these speakers, as you'll only spoil your other Missions. Mixing and matching drivers and crossovers without measurements will rarely give good results.

Providing you've isolated the issue to the woofers: Try reflowing the end of the flex wire going into the cone. I've fixed a few this way, including a pair of missions. Add some solder to the connection as well, it might help.

HFFOkGn.jpg

I just acquired a pair of 780's from a garage sale. The woofers don't work of course.

Can you provide the name of the approved repair shop?

I owned a pair of Mission 780s which had both drivers replaced a year or so ago by an approved repairer. The new woofers were indeed a different material than the originals, but were recommended by Mission as being an appropriate substitute. They sounded sensational to my ears!

They looked like this (disregard the different coloured tweeters - I had to replace one with a new equivalent, as the fragile original tweeter had died):

Mission7805_zps00de941f.jpg

782 woofers are 6.5" and will not fit.

Don't muck around with cannibalising these speakers, as you'll only spoil your other Missions. Mixing and matching drivers and crossovers without measurements will rarely give good results.

I just acquired a pair of 780's from a garage sale. The woofers don't work of course.

Can you provide the name of the approved repair shop?

Sorry, the previous owner arranged the replacement drivers, not me.

I'm also located in Sydney, Australia, so any local agents may not suit you anyway (subject to your location) ;)

Back
Top Bottom