CA-810... with some pics

Karl vd Berg

Here are some photos of a broken CA-810 I got last Monday. The amp is not working, although the relay "clicks" normally after 4 seconds when turned ON.

oef6.jpg

So I decided to open it for a inspection and tearing all the boards apart as it had/has a lot of dust, despite the external appearances...

Ok, let's remove the cover, front panel and use my favorite toll: MY CAMERA :beatnik:

There are many pictures of wires/connectors, but I put only a few now...

s1qf.jpg

gu5j.jpg

4kej.jpg

ft4k.jpg

72rp.jpg

udm8.jpg

tkxw.jpg

ewrd.jpg

nmna.jpg

Pretty much dusty inside...

7red.jpg

adye.jpg

I'm not sure, but the glue-like thing around the drivers' heatsinks seems more the dust melted rather than those we usually see around capacitors...

qhj6.jpg

But nevertheless it looks that it can corrode components as well...

jzih.jpg

al4w.jpg

f81d.jpg

Last edited:
k3y1.jpg

Doing one board per time, the main amp circuit board.

v2j2.jpg

All the electrolytics, of course, will be replaced, plus all the other damaged components. But few TRs should be replaced as well as a preventive maintenance...

3lzk.jpg

i53g.jpg

To be continued...

Nice photos, that dust looks like the nasty tobacco flavoured kind.

Thanks, Sleep. Indeed there is dust also inside all the switches, as they are a bit hard to move. It appears that it melts into something really nasty. This work will take some time, because I'll change resistors, diodes, etc for both channels, even if only a few in each channel were affected. I could not change a 470 ohm resistor in the left channel leaving an old still good one in the right channel. Same for the diodes...

Attachments

• P1172136.jpg
    P1172136.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 90
Why did you snip off all those wire wrapped wires ?

Last edited:
The CA-810 is my favorite Amp, mostly because it was my first. Bought mine new in College and still have it. I have recapped mine, and replaced the meter bulbs twice.

Man, that dust is nasty-axx stuff! Would break my heart if that Amp was not brought back to pristine shape. I'm glad you are doing this!

Keep us posted.

Why did you snip off all those wire wrapped wires ?

Yes. I had to do that. :thmbsp:

Although I have everything recorded in pictures I want to be absolutely sure I can trace all the connections back to every pin. The two fuses end up with exactly same blue wires, I had to mark them. Also I want to short those wires anyway and clean the pins. The amp is dead. I only need to buy a new wire wrapping tool in the coming week.

But all the wires won't be cut. Few small boards like the Lousness doesn't need to do so...

ai52.jpg

The CA-810 is my favorite Amp, mostly because it was my first. Bought mine new in College and still have it. I have recapped mine, and replaced the meter bulbs twice.

Man, that dust is nasty-axx stuff! Would break my heart if that Amp was not brought back to pristine shape. I'm glad you are doing this!

Keep us posted.

I love this model in particular, too. Was long looking for one, but here that series CA-x10 is hard to find and people want a lot of €€€ for an unit.

Last edited:
Why cut the wires, couldn't you work on it with the wires still attached?
Seems like you just created more work for yourself, without need?
Just askin'.

I'm making the list of ALL components for every board and Hi Res pictures. I'll spend some time between work and this. I'll be back soon!! :thmbsp:

Nice to see the 810 has some part in it unlike the 610II. I have a pair of the CA610IIs and there is enough room left in them to park a 737. I like simple but to me the 610II because of the way oversized case is bordering on marketing fraud to me. The matching CT610II is even worse.

CA-810, some progress

Good morning all!! :D

Just a quick note to tell I'm working hard on both fronts (life and hobby) day and nights, and the process is rather slow because I'm taking many pictures - and it takes A LOT of time with tripod, macro, lighting, etc - but also I HAVE to do everything carefully, because I still cannot do this with a blindfold on.

A few pictures here in the meanwhile. Many others are coming, I'll put them after order the complete list of parts for this unit!

P.S.: the good news is that so far the TRs are OK!

See you soon! :yes:

iojn.jpg

fvf0.jpg

k8it.jpg

5wln.jpg

xn4j.jpg

cz4e.jpg

Last edited:
If you take any pictures of disassembling/reassembling the slider switches I would love to see those.

Good luck to you as move along the process.

Wow! I think these have got to be some of the most detailed pictures I have ever seen on a restoration. Nice work!

When I saw you removed all of the switches and pots from the board I knew you were serious. I like to do extensive work like this myself as I don't mind the labor. I know a lot of people will frown on this approach because it's more work and you risk damaging the board but if you are careful I think the results speak for themselves.

Keep up the great work!:thmbsp:

I have a CA-810 that was similarly soiled. My Uncle bought it new in 79 and sold it to my other uncle in about 89. He had it until about 2004. They were both smokers. Now it is mine, i restored it in 2010. When I was was a kid I was always excited about going to Uncle Bill's house because he would let me listen to this stereo. Here are some before and after pics of mine.
beforeDSC_4491_zps85532297.jpg

beforeDSC_4495_zpse2f15026.jpg

afterDSC_4595_zps9f4b7cf1.jpg

afterDSC_4594_zps6e358e3d.jpg

afterDSC_4593_zps2f758955.jpg

For the recap I used Panasonic FC. For the signal path I used Elna Silmic II. The lamps were replaced with warm white LED's on their own separate full wave rectified dc circuit and the original color lens. I paid attention to the current so the LED's would not be too bright. To clean the face I used Bar Keeper's Friend and a toothbrush with a light touch. It cut right through the nicotine and tar from over 20 years of smoke. To clean the boards I used straight windex and a paintbrush with a water rinse. Blown dry with compressed air and let sit for about a week.

I have been very happy with this amp since the rebuild. It sounds very good, looks great and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Back
Top Bottom