Yamaha R2000 CL, Worth It?

D4vidG4rr3tt

Started off with midfi. Soon hit the harder stuff.
Subscriber
I'd appreciate any help Yamaha fans could offer. I'm thinking about getting a Yamaha R2000 advertised on Craigslist. Guy says it's in decent condition, but the speaker terminals are shot and he'd have to demo it using headphones.

Is it possible it's just the speaker terminals, or could this indicate more serious problems?

I know enough that I could re-solder the terminals, but anything else would be beyond me.

Thanks.

I did see that. It's got lots of good information, and it's what convinced me this unit might be worth considering. But I don't think that series of posts answered my question.

The seller wants $75, which I'll pay if the problem with the speaker terminals can be easily fixed. But I don't know enough about electronics to know if the fact the speaker terminals don't work indicates a more serious problem that will cost lots to fix.

One of the posts in that thread mentioned the speaker relay needing attention so that may be the issue instead of the terminals.

One of the posts in that thread mentioned the speaker relay needing attention so that may be the issue instead of the terminals.

Okay, thanks. I remember that. Now, as someone who knows little more about electronics than how to plug in and turn on, what's a speaker relay? And, if that's the problem, would it be a hard-to-find part?

R2000 with problems is a pass unless it is just a dirty control. This is basically a no sound unit. It could be anything including bad STK modules which would make this a door stop. If you have to, make sure you get sound from the amp section.

R2000 with problems is a pass unless it is just a dirty control. This is basically a no sound unit. It could be anything including bad STK modules which would make this a door stop. If you have to, make sure you get sound from the amp section.

Thanks for the info. Talked to the seller, who says he was able to connect speakers. Going to have to look up STK modules, but I gather these are parts that Yamaha doesn't make any more. . . .

Back
Top Bottom