Your thoughts on modding my Aragon Aurum

Coilvoice

Below are some nudie pics of my Aragon Aurum preamp. I opened it up to have a look when I got it before I even hooked it up. It's just one of those things I do when a new piece arrives... can't help it. :naughty: Anywho, I would like your opinions on anything you see that could be made better. My eyes imediatley went to the large yellow poly caps stamped mexico. I was thinking about replacing these with some auricaps, Sonicaps, or something. I was also thinking that I would replace the electrolytics with some Elna Silmic II caps. The main power supply caps in the pre itself and the EPS will be last, but not least. Have a look and thanks for your time in advance! :yes:

AragonAurumNude1.jpg

AragonAurumNude2.jpg

AragonAurumNude3.jpg

Thanks for looking. :yes:
Cv

Last edited:
Very nice, I have never seen such good nudies of this pre, it does indeed look like it has the very same mono blocks as the 18k.

i see two circuit blocks per channel. does it have built-in phono?

i'd probably put into something better than those TI's (which, interestingly enough, were used in the Infinity Quantum speakers 30+ years ago!).

you could look at upgrading the electrolytics as well. i can't tell from the pics what brand they all are, but there might be room for improvement.

No phono, but balanced outputs, that doubles complexity, hence the four monoblocks.

very interesting that they didn't include balanced inputs in a fully-balanced preamp....besides that, what confused me was that the resistors are clearly different values for the + and - blocks.

very interesting that they didn't include balanced inputs in a fully-balanced preamp....besides that, what confused me was that the resistors are clearly different values for the + and - blocks.

I too have wondered where the balanced inputs went, the reason for the balanced outputs is to counter noise from long cable runs between pre and power amp.

QUOTE from Adda =
A bit off topic, but I thought I would post a pic of the Aragon 18k for comparison.

Coilvoice =
Nice preamp. I don't think it is off topic as it is in the same family. Very interesting. :scratch2: Glad you posted it. Looking into adding a balanced source input to mine. Any suggestions are completely welcome and encouraged. Thanks.

Aragon preamps are really in a class of their own, electronic works of art, both on the inside and outside.

Aragon preamps are really in a class of their own, electronic works of art, both on the inside and outside.

I am extremely happy with mine. The soundstage got so much larger and 3 dimensional when I added to the system. This is why I am interested in making it even better with a balanced input and some better caps.

I am extremely happy with mine. The soundstage got so much larger and 3 dimensional when I added to the system. This is why I am interested in making it even better with a balanced input and some better caps.

Have you tried hooking your hardest to drive headphones up to the balanced outputs on your Aurum?
My 18k drives K240DF's effortlessly, they are no less then a perfect match.
The Aurum has more power, maybe as much as twice the strength of the 18k.
Imagine how it might do with planar magnetic phones like LCD-2 or HiFiMan phones.
Or even AKG K1000's.

Have you tried hooking your hardest to drive headphones up to the balanced outputs on your Aurum?
My 18k drives K240DF's effortlessly, they are no less then a perfect match.
The Aurum has more power, maybe as much as twice the strength of the 18k.
Imagine how it might do with planar magnetic phones like LCD-2 or HiFiMan phones.
Or even AKG K1000's.

Interesting. :scratch2: At the moment, I just have one set of cans being the Phillips SHP895 model. I think they are a Euro release only, but not sure. They sound good, but I definately would like to get some better cans. I will check out the models mentioned.

nice nudies of the 18k. man aragon made some nice stuff, they're back in production making amps again. I used to have a D2A dac and loved it, in fact I think I tried the D2A2 also for a while. Nice to see the company up and running a again although they have a very limited line right now.

http://www.aragonav.com/aragon product page.html

Last edited:
Indy Audio Labs owns Aragon now. One of the latest products is the Iridium monoblock. It was formerly known as the Paladium. I've been chatting with Rick Santiago of IAL recently. I'm helping him with some of his records on the Mondial Aragon 8008bb. One of my amps is #19 off the original production line. I can't say enough kind things about him. By the way... They have plenty on the drawing board, so stay tuned!! :thmbsp:

i see two circuit blocks per channel. does it have built-in phono?

i'd probably put into something better than those TI's (which, interestingly enough, were used in the Infinity Quantum speakers 30+ years ago!).

you could look at upgrading the electrolytics as well. i can't tell from the pics what brand they all are, but there might be room for improvement.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say TI's. The electrolytics are Nichicons which I have always heard great things about. I do believe that Nichicon offers a better version though which are nuclear green in color. Should I replace the Nichicons as well? :scratch2: Also, I would still like to hear comments on how to add balanced inputs. Thanks.

Also, I would still like to hear comments on how to add balanced inputs. Thanks.

I think you need a diagram, if you want to find out if it's possible to add balanced inputs.
Oh and, since the input selector is made for single ended, it will not be compatible with balanced inputs, so it will have to be bypassed, unless I'm mistaking.

to add balanced input's you'd need to circumvent the phase splitter that Aragon uses to take single ended to balanced. and if you did that you would be working with an entirely different input impedance then the circuit was designed to present to the source components. might work but you may not get as favorable results as just sticking with the single ended inputs.

Well that is more than I want to get into, so mission aborted on the balanced inputs. I guess I will stick to a simple recap. I'm talking to a guy now about an Aragon 47k phono pre for sale. Can you take a look at my post under dollar and sense to advise? Thanks. Don't want to derail this thread.

Back
Top Bottom