Technics SA-550 bulbs

verycd

Could anyone please help me identify this bulb (length and diameter) in Technics SA-550? Is there a model number or name for this bulb and where can I order it?

One of the three bulbs is burnt out. I am thinking to get 3 bulbs and replace all three if I can manage. The one beside the display is easy to get access to. Still need to figure out how to take out the two behind the volume control.

Thank you for your help.

.....Are there any sellers of suitable LED bulbs as well?

None that I know of? :dunno:

Looks like you would have to do some sort of modification to convert that type of lamp (axail) to LED, not that it can't be done, just saying. :scratch2:

Difficult yes/maybe :yes:, impossible no :no:

None that I know of? :dunno:

Looks like you would have to do some sort of modification to convert that type of lamp (axail) to LED, not that it can't be done, just saying. :scratch2:

Difficult yes/maybe :yes:, impossible no :no:

Thank you, good to know! I thought some bulbs can be simply replaced by same-sized LEDs which never fail - from what I heard. Didn't know there would be conversion involved.

Thank you, good to know! I thought some bulbs can be simply replaced by same-sized LEDs which never fail - from what I heard. Didn't know there would be conversion involved.

Maybe you just misunderstood or I really didn't clarify my response, either way to directly answer your question, yes there are some bulbs/lamps that can be directly replaced by LED's but not all.
The most common that I know of are the fuse type lamps that can be replaced by fuse type LED's. I recently did this on a tuners display. But the same tuner also had a pair of 'axial' lamps as well for the Signal Strength Meter and the Tuning Meter and I was going to convert these to LED's though it was going to require a lot of modification and instead I just replaced them with new axial lamps.
What I mean by 'a lot of modification' is that I was going to have to drill holes in order for the holders for the fuse type LED's to sit in. This in turn would have required soldering and desoldering wires, etc. and this was just too excessive.
This is not to say that what you want to do can't be done it just depends on what exactly is involved in your situation? LED's can be used but then you would have to figure out resistor usage, voltage, current, etc. ?
If your looking for a quick-direct way to convert to LED simply by purchasing them, then maybe there is but if not then you are just going to have to research and modify for LED's?

Last edited:
Maybe you just misunderstood or I really didn't clarify my response, either way to directly answer your question, yes there are some bulbs/lamps that can be directly replaced by LED's but not all.
The most common that I know of are the fuse type lamps that can be replaced by fuse type LED's. I recently did this on a tuners display. But the same tuner also had a pair of 'axial' lamps as well for the Signal Strength Meter and the Tuning Meter and I was going to convert these to LED's though it was going to require a lot of modification and instead I just replaced them with new axial lamps.
What I mean by 'a lot of modification' is that I was going to have to drill holes in order for the holders for the fuse type LED's to sit in. This in turn would have required soldering and desoldering wires, etc. and this was just to excessive.
This is not to say that what you want to do can't be done it just depends on what exactly is involved in your situation? LED's can be used but then you would have to figure out resistor usage, voltage, current, etc. ?
If your looking for a quick-direct way to convert to LED simply by purchasing them, then maybe there is but if not then you are just going to have to research and modify for LED's?

Thank you, R-2-R. Now I understand the situation. I don't think I have the skill to convert the light. I am actually thinking I will replace the damaged one in a few months if everything still works well in the unit. It is 30 years old and can break any time I guess.

Thank you, R-2-R. Now I understand the situation. I don't think I have the skill to convert the light. I am actually thinking I will replace the damaged one in a few months if everything still works well in the unit. It is 30 years old and can break any time I guess.

Wait! Hold on!

Just today I happen to read this thread/post, so not all hope is lost on making the transition from regular bulb to LED?
Read the following thread then click on the link, this could really be very helpful to you. :scratch2:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8366617#post8366617

http://www.quickar.com/bestledcalc.php?session=

As for it being 'very old' well there still is life left in it and you could make it last longer by giving it a good cleaning and even going a step further and replace all the capacitors in it as well?

So don't give up on it just yet!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Wait! Hold on!

Just today I happen to read this thread/post, so not all hope is lost on making the transition from regular bulb to LED?
Read the following thread then click on the link, this could really be very helpful to you. :scratch2:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8366617#post8366617

http://www.quickar.com/bestledcalc.php?session=

As for it being 'very old' well there still is life left in it and you could make it last longer by giving it a good cleaning and even going a step further and replace all the capacitors in it as well?

So don't give up on it just yet!

Good Luck!

Thank you! I will certainly try. I paid 25$ for the receiver, thinking I may bring it to its full potential. At least I use it everyday :) Experimenting!

There's a nice video on the 550 at youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3SmmzE8rs

I notice it uses discrete power outputs, so to my opinion it is well worth giving it some maintenance and saving it. Unfortunately there is no service manual available, not for free at least, but some basic maintenance can be done without it.

There's a nice video on the 550 at youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3SmmzE8rs

I notice it uses discrete power outputs, so to my opinion it is well worth giving it some maintenance and saving it. Unfortunately there is no service manual available, not for free at least, but some basic maintenance can be done without it.

Yes. I watched the two videos posted by uxwbill many times. It is actually after comparing the video and my unit that I noticed my bulb for display was not working. I had thought that everything worked well. My unit came with operating instructions but no service manual.

I cleaned the unit the first day I got it. Then with the advices of another kind AK member I cleaned it again - moving the switches and buttons 100 times while spray it :D

But nothing can stop aging. Hope the cleaning will at least slow the process down a bit. With limited space, I have to place the turntable on top of the hot Class A receiver. I added a DIY "heat sink" in between the 550 and the board where I place the turntable, assuming it would be better than airflow alone. With a little less heat stress, it may live longer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom