Question about Yamaha CA amps

I'd have to agree with mhardy. The CA-800 is a great choice; not that I've compared one to a 10 series but I have compared it to my KA-7100. As nice as the Kenny sounds, in an A-B comparison using NS-500m's, the Yamaha stands head and shoulders above the Kenny. It is, in my opinion, much cleaner and more detailed, and in class A mode there is something about the sound that is truly sublime. It's interesting how subtle the difference is yet so much more enjoyable to listen to. I find it difficult to describe.
BTW, neither amp has been serviced in any way to my knowledge, so take it for what it's worth.:D

Hello everybody, greetings from the Netherlands! This is my first post, so go easy on me :)

I have compared the CA 1000II with a CA 1010, both recapped and serviced, and I have to say the 1000II is the winner. The sound is overall better but not by a landslide. Though the 1010 is soooo good looking, I really regret selling mine but it is the MK II of the CA 1000/800 that makes listening a real treat. You can't go wrong with the CA amps. It was the CA 610 that started my love (or addiction) for Yammies....

Too bad, The mkII has some minor modifications in comparison with the mkI. Of course there is the tone bypass switch, which is very usefull. I've never did a one on one comparison on the inside. I can only tell that the power transformer is different from the mkI's, in the II it is completely sealed and canned. Also the fuses are differently placed. But the class A/AB switch is still a selfdestruct button:scratch2:....

The ca 800 I use sounds a bit warmer than the mkII, the mkII sounds a bit more pronounced in the mid section, with still the sweetness in the treble, something my ca 1010 lacked. I really liked my ca 1010 but in comparison with the ca00 series, it sounded a bit dry. But the amp was really deadquiet, even the phono board. At first I did not wanted to part with it but to keep a beautifull piece of equipment driving my ns625 speakers upstairs is..... Well what can I say, not its place and has now a new and proud owner. Anyway I use my ca 1000II combined with a B2 to drive my four speakers, my main speakers are driven by my B2, using the CA 1000 as a pre-amp, which works excellent.

Back
Top Bottom