bought a Yamaha CR-450 rcvr, what are the matching TT and SPKRs?

rhume55

I picked up a Yamaha CR-450 receiver today in amazing condition. The front is like brand new, the wood is great, and it seems to work fine.

My understanding is this receiver was sold by Yamaha from 1974-to-1978 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

QUESTION: What would be the model numbers of the matching turntable and speakers that Yamaha sold in that period? I'd love to complete the system with matching pieces.

Note, someone locally is selling a Yamaha YP-66 turntable, would that be the same era?

Thanks!

The Yamaha component sets were sold at different price levels.

The Yamaha CR-450 was probably an entry level receiver paired with belt drive turn table like YAMAHA YP-700/YP-700C YP-700: 49,000 Yen (1973 circa)
YP-700C: 55,000 Yen (circa 1974).

Check some old Yamaha flyers of that time period to see the various component sets for sale. :music:

Thanks! Any suggestions for speakers of the era that would be appropriate? These vintage speakers are for sale locally that look interesting to me:

WHARFEDALE W-60 ($150/pair)

Celestion DL-8 (probably about $100/pair) -- are these 70s or 80s speakers?

Criterion 25a ($30/pair)

Celestion Ditton 121 teak ($30/pair)

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Any suggestions for speakers of the era that would be appropriate? These vintage speakers are for sale locally that look interesting to me:

WHARFEDALE W-60 ($150/pair)

Celestion DL-8 (probably about $100/pair) -- are these 70s or 80s speakers?

Criterion 25a ($30/pair)

Celestion Ditton 121 teak ($30/pair)

Any thoughts?

Get the W-60's...you won't be sorry!! They were made in 2 and 3 way, depending on the model (A thru E). 2 ways were a few years earlier, with alnico magnets that many here love. (I have both)

Yamaha made several turntables. Check out this website for info and manuals on many TT's. A Yamaha YP-D6 is here http://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/yp-d6.shtml

Back
Top Bottom