Using a Center Speaker

K7JHG

Not sure if I am in the right forum here but I am using The Fisher X-100-B for this application.

I'm considering trying to use a center speaker since the stereo control amplifier is set up for this type of operation. My question is what type of speaker to use? I currently run two 8-ohm B&W DM 602s and am very pleased with the audio quality.

A friend suggested a single large 8-ohm woofer? I have read some say the same speaker as the two stereo speakers? Would a powered subwoofer work?

Any suggestions or experience is appeciated.

Thanks,

John

Try another speaker similar to what you are using now. As it's summed from both channels, it's going to have all info going to it. If you had a large room, and the speakers were far apart you'd get a gap area in the middle and this was what the center was for. Use something like a JBL Center Channel speaker or something like that. A 8"-10" full range or 2 way with a 10" woofer would work nicely.

You could use it as a sub woofer tap. Powered would be best with a volume pot. That way you could tailor the level of the center to best balance. But you shouldn't need a sub if the B&W's put out enough. Personally i think subwoofers are a waste of money, when you've got speakers that can pump out perfectly good bass without ripping out the windows from their frames. I can hear my son coming down the road in the Grand-Am and the windows you can see physically pumping in the window frames. SCAREY!

Thanks.

I agree with you on subwoofers in general. I'm not a big fan of the boom boom boom either.

I notice that on the X-100-B schematic the center channel is fed by the 16 ohm lead. Am I reading that correctly? Do I need a 18 ohm center speaker or would a 4 or 8 ohm speaker work?

Subs are very easily abused. They have their place, but making the windows shake and vibrate just because it looks cool is not one of them.

That center channel tap is designed to provide a signal for a mono amp to power a center speaker. That's why it lends itself to tastefully applied powered subwoofers.

In other words, yeah a 4 or 8 ohm, powered subwoofer would work. The 8 ohm would match better tho.

Larry

It seems to me that the center channel application might best be suited for mono. I'll play around with it and report back

Back
Top Bottom