RS-1080 Phono stage

Fisher-Dave

has sadly took a dump.

I had to sell my RS-1060 a few weeks ago that was set up in my spare room, and right after I did, the RS-1080 in the living room decided to start showing out. I didn't change a thing in my living room system, the turntable has been hooked up to it for years and nothing has been moved or changed. When I switch to phono, it sounds like a never ending rolling thunderstorm on the right channel, and switch to phono 2 and it is even worse. Bad enough it shakes the floor constantly. So, I unhooked the turntable from the receiver, and it still does it when switched to phono 1 or phono 2 with no turntable hooked to the receiver. It is not a crackle, it is not a popping sound, it is like deep hard constant thunder. Anyone know what in the heck has gone bad in this thing? Everything else works perfectly. It is not a dirty switch causing this. :sigh:

Could be the transistors in the phono section. Sounds kinda like wind rushing thru a hedgerow only lower in frequency?

Larry

Could be the transistors in the phono section. Sounds kinda like wind rushing thru a hedgerow only lower in frequency?

Larry

Here is an excerpt from the Boston Third Stage album to back up your theory.

No Synthesizers

That's right! Honest! And no violins either (so how do you make thunderstorms without a synthesizer? A twenty-year old Vox Tone-Bender with a bad transistor).

Still aint fixed it. I've been using everything the receiver has to offer except the turntable. If I knew which part to swap out exactly, like if someone put a paint dot on it saying ''THIS PART RIGHT HERE'' .. then I'd have a fair chance replacing the correct part. It's like guessing the winning lotto numbers before buying a ticket.

How close is Alexandria to Knoxville. Terry DeWick would be able to fix it for you. Granted he works mainly on tube gear, but he has been known to fix a solid state unit her and there. Do you have a schematic for it??? That helps a lot with techs.
Some even charge you for looking it up and having to get it from SAMS (provided Sams has one) Sam's has one. Item #51190 Sams#MHF-146 $22.00 Downloadable
Larry

Back
Top Bottom