Fisher X-100-B with Turntable

otterncc7

Any advice on using a turntable with a Fisher x-100-b amp? When I use the phono input, it only plays about a 1/3 as loud as a cd player plugged into the auxillary input. Is it something with the amp, do I need a phono pre-amp, or is it my turntable? Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

It should be a moving magnet cartridge or a high-output moving coil (HOMC) over 3.5mv to work properly in the phono input.

Check the back panel for a pot that says phono level. Make sure it's turned all the way up. Magnetic Cartridges go in MAG PHONO. Ceramic cratridges go in CER. PHONO or Aux.

Larry

What cartridge are you using? Do you know it's output voltage? You might just need something a bit huskier with this amp if you want to match to CD output level.

The other option might be to reduce the output level of your CD player if that's possible. Some are adjustable.

I'm working on an X-100-B right now. Larry, this amp doesn't have phono level pots. It DOES have a phono-pre w/ two 12AX7s......and if those are weak, then the gain in that section could be off. Two thoughts come to mind: 1) Have you tested the turntable in any other amp, and is it functioning properly in the Phono input of another 'similar' tube amplifier? And 2) Can you test the tubes in your phono section to see if they're OK or not? I don't know how long you've owned your amp, but the 100-B will work fine with 'bad tubes' in the phono section....as long as the filaments are good. The filaments of the phono tubes and the tone section tubes (V1,2,3, & 4) are all tied up in the bias circuit of the amp......but the triode sections of the phono tubes (V1 & 2) can be shot.....and the amp will still play wonderfully though the Aux & Tuner inputs....as long as the remaining 12AXs and the four 7868s are OK. One other thing, the contacts in the 'selector' switch might have become corroded over time, and now not passing signal too well. May even be a similar problem at the RCA connectors in the back if the amp has had little use in the Phono area in the past. Keep us posted! Tom D.

Use the phono-low jacks it will work better in there, I had a X100B as well and was
never to happy with the phono section in that model or the X100, not enough output.
I'm using a X101C now and it is a bit better in sound much louder. See if you can pick
up a another phono-preamp to make it sound better.

tube

Thanks tom. I'm so used to seeing them on a couple of pieces I have here. What i should have said was "there may be, if so".

Larry

Any advice on using a turntable with a Fisher x-100-b amp? When I use the phono input, it only plays about a 1/3 as loud as a cd player plugged into the auxillary input. Is it something with the amp, do I need a phono pre-amp, or is it my turntable? Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

That's normal

A Red Book CD player's output is typically 2 Volts +- 0.3V

A PHONO cartridge's output is measured in mVs

The levels on the Lp or CD will also make a dramatic difference (and contrast)

You very well may have a problem but I doubt it if the sound quality is good, just the level is down

Thomas

Last edited:
Well, I'm no X-100-B expert......but I've finally got mine up and running. Listening to Stevie "Guitar" Miller right now! Sweet! Considering the amp came to me with the bottom burned up, bad caps in the PS, burned resistors in the Tone Control section, a 'smoked' output transformer, bad slide switches, and after getting all that sorted out.......a BAD Power Transformer raised it's ugly head!! Well, I just shoehorned a PT from a Fisher 400 into the amp.....and it's playing beautifully! I even managed to find a nice 'jewel' for the front! Sadly, after all this, I just gotta 'adopt' this one....along with all the others! I tell ya....gettin' 'IN' to this with the thought of finding something 'cheap', fixin' it, sellin' it.....and makin' a buck or two......NOT happinin!!!

Attachments

• DSC01339 (2).JPG
    DSC01339 (2).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01332.jpg
    DSC01332.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 39
I tell ya....gettin' 'IN' to this with the thought of finding something 'cheap', fixin' it, sellin' it.....and makin' a buck or two......NOT happinin!!!

I feel your pain... like a lot of folks here I just like the fun of tinkering with these old amps and getting them playing again. Probably spend around 30-50 hours on a piece. Then it gets to a saturation point and some have to go. Flog them on ebay and you're lucky to get a little over your initial outlay nevermind anything for your labor. It does feel good to know that you've resurrected something for others to enjoy but sadly it won't pay the bills or put a roof over your head.

BTW, nice job on the X-100-B and I like how you adapted that 400 PT - well done :thmbsp:

Hmmm - I'm a B-ham HAM?

Hey I've got an X-100-B and am experiencing the same thing. I'm guessing a less than perfect and loud phono stage in our amps. I'm about to try six new 12AX7s and will let you know if I experience any difference buy I'm not expecting to.

I'm going to try using my turntable with a friend's Dynaco to see what happens.

I agree that the low phono inputs work best with a mm cartridge. I also experienced that phono plays louder when the tape/phono switch is in the tape position but the sound quality deteriorates so I keep it in the phono selection.

Oh ya, and I get an annoying "buzz" only in the phono mode mostly noticable at higher volumes when nothing is playing.

I attached a good ground to the chassis of the X-100-B and the phono buzz has gone away. Sweet silence.

John

Back
Top Bottom