Fisher XP 4a's Restoration

Happy Holiday to those who are celebrating.
My cousin delivered the XP 4a's this morning. She is up for the holidays.
Of course I could not wait to start taking them apart. I studied them for a good while and realized that the only way inside the cabinets was through the mid range speakers. I tested both before I started and all the components work well however the tweeters do not seem to be very strong.
I am going to recap the crossovers to see if that makes any difference.
The cabinets are filled with the original fiberglass so I removed the top portion to get to the crossovers. I left the woofer section untouched because of the unique speaker design. No need to fool with that.
I attached a bunch of photos in case anyone is interested in the design of the speakers. I believe that this design was only produced for a few years.

I also have a question. The original fiberglass was installed in pieces and just tucked in pretty tightly. The original fiberglass is more dense than the new stuff I have used to insulated my attic. If I used new 6" figerglass cut from ceiling insulation would that work as well.
Thanks
George

Attachments

• DSCN4066.jpg
    DSCN4066.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN4067.jpg
    DSCN4067.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN4069.jpg
    DSCN4069.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN4070.jpg
    DSCN4070.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 28
You might be able to fluff up the original stuff a little to get the bulk back (presuming that it settled over the years.). You'd have to compress the ceiling stuff in pretty tight to get the equivalent bulk. Try the original 1st. Long sleeve shirt and gloves. OR itch for a while. Punishment for no long sleeves and gloves is Lye soap and a hard scrub brush in HOT WATER! :naughty::D (I'm Cruel, ain't I!)

:smoke: when you sending them my way George??? :smoke:
Larry

I vote for staying with the original stuff as well. :thmbsp:

I have a pair of XP-5a with the pinkish stuffing. Carefully fluff it back up and tuck it in. Try to keep it as fluffed as possible while at the same time trying to fill the voids.

Dayton 5% caps are fine in there. If you want to overkill a bit, get the 1% and replace the resistors with Mills. I did just that because, hey, what the hell :D

Back
Top Bottom