Fisher 800c project for 2014

Omegaman

Ultra Super Member
Subscriber
While surfing the innerwebs I checked out Dan and Matt's McCabinets web site and noticed he had a note that said he was selling some gear. I figured it was way old and long gone but I contacted him anyway

Since that article in the hipster magazine said you are nothing without a Fisher 500c I have been programmed to want one

Dan and Matt have made several cabinets for my classics

I asked about the Fisher 800c and he said it was a pristine console pull. All 100% original including tubes. He guaranteed it "not DOA". He used it in a lot of his photos for his cabinets

So we came to an agreeable price for the Fisher 800c Executive receiver including a "Grand Cabinet" in Walnut

Now if it can survive Fed-Ex shipping from Mich to Arizona

I am reading all the threads about the restoration

Last edited:
Dude: Now that you've finally become something, congrats on joining the club of those who knew all along :D

You're in for a very nice ride :thmbsp:

So I was surfing the web and I checked out Dan and Matt's McCabinets web site and I noticed he had a note that says he was selling some gear. I figured it was way old and long gone but I contacted him anyway

Since that article in the hipster magazine said you are nothing without a Fisher 500c I have been programmed to want one

Dan and Matt have made several cabinets for my classics and I had talked to Dan about his salt water aquariums

I asked about the Fisher and he said it was a pristine console pull. All 100% original including tubes. He guaranteed it "not DOA". He used it in a lot of his photos for his cabinets

So we came to an agreeable price for the Fisher 800c Executive receiver including a "Grand Cabinet" in Walnut

Can you post link to site ? looking for a cabinet

I have all the iron from an 800c Executive which is waiting to be turned into something- i'd like to hear about your sound opinions once you listen to it.

The 1963 and 1964 Executive used the 800-C.

From research I've done on them I've found the following:
The 1963 Executuve used SERIALS from 10001-19999 EXCLUSIVELY! They have a different Output transformer and have a slightly different circuit from the P.I. to the output. They use the 10001-19999 manual ONLY!!!

The 1964 Executive used a later SERIAL #'d version that was NOT exclusive to the EXECUTIVE. Use which ever manual for the 800 that your unit's serial number falls into. It'll be either 30001-39999 or 30001-49999. They have the same output transformer as the standalones from 20001 and up.

The 20001-29999 was the 1963 800-C standalone.

Note that ANY 800-C will fit into an EXECUTIVE. Outwardly they are identical. The only real difference is noted above. Plus the FACEPLATE will say EXECUTIVE in the upper Left Hand Corner vs. 800-C for the standalone.

Larry

That kinda sucks. I thought the 800c was just like the 500c but with AM. Kinda of a buzz kill

I would guess that it is the lower of the two versions

Either way is fine

Last edited:
The console Fishers used trannies purpose-built for their speakers. Do not for a moment think that because the trannies are not as large they are not as good.
The difference could be as simple as not having the 4, 8, 16 ohm taps, but having a 8 and 16 as an example. I haven't seen one so I can't say I know for sure.
But for any absolute power difference, you probably make up for it with the cosmetic difference of getting a Fisher that's been in a cabinet.

My Executive 800-C and standalone 800-C look identical, except for the size of the output transformers and the NFB circuits. Other than that they are identical part for part. ONLY THE 1963 EXECUTIVE 800-C's with a SERIAL OF 10001-19999 have the smaller (about 1/8" overall dimension) transformers. The speaker output's are identical EXCEPT FOR THE CENTER Channel output. The '63 Executive has an RCA jack where the standalone has the screwdowns for the center channel.
And they both have 4-8-16 ohm taps.

The '64 EXECUTIVE is a standalone 800-C in the console. ONLY the '63 EXEC. is different. But they sound identical. Mine are setup identically except for the output coupling caps. the Standalone has K40Y's and the EXECUTIVE has OD's. I can't hear a difference.

Larry

While surfing the innerwebs I checked out Dan and Matt's McCabinets web site and noticed he had a note that says he was selling some gear. I figured it was way old and long gone but I contacted him anyway

Dan and Matt have made several cabinets for my classics

I asked about the Fisher and he said it was a pristine console pull. All 100% original including tubes. He guaranteed it "not DOA". He used it in a lot of his photos for his cabinets

When you get it I'm curious as to what the serial # and the output #'s are. Post them please.

Thanks
Larry

Thanks guys. I'm sure I will be pleased to restore this 800c Executive

I'll get back with the S/N and I'll post plenty of pictures throughout the restore process

I talked to the guy but he didn't have the serial number in front of him but he said the receiver should ship by end of the week

These guys know how to pack gear for shipment (knock, knock, knock)

So I should have it by next week

I have been listening to my '59 Fisher 610-P for a couple of months now and I love it

Last edited:
Stay on the look out for a 560 to go with the 610-P. And you can do a mod to the 610 chassis to make it MPX capable. Get the schematic for the Custom Electra III (which is just a 610 and 560 in a C.E. cabinet). Then add 3 RCA Jacks, and rewire the FM output/inputs.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom