I’ve bought a pair of Klipsch and I may never be the same! Advice needed.

I have KLF-20s and both the Crites upgrades recommended by @moray james. They are no longer fatiguing to me.

I have a pair of Chorus II's that I'm using in lieu of Vandersteen 2CE sigs that are now on my basement system. The Chorus II's are a different animal.

Initially I found them a bit harsh with some (not all) rock recordings.

I've done the crites titanium tweeter upgrade, replaced the crossovers, and I even replaced the stock phelonic midrange diaphragms with new ones from bob. I'd have to say that those upgrades helped smooth out some of the bite from the horns.

I've never heard the KLF-20s so I can't give you an opinion on the differences. What drew me to the Chorus II's is that I feel like I'm at a live show. My Vandersteen's sound better in some ways, but can't compare in powerful presentation. I'm willing to sacrifice some studio reproduction accuracy for the power, rhythm, and timing that I get from the Chorus II's

Last edited:
Given that the room is essentially half of your listening equation, have you ever thought about room treatments?

Given that the room is essentially half of your listening equation, have you ever thought about room treatments?

I've not only thought about them, I installed them a few years back. (As I had mentioned back in post 13)

Consider deadening the room a little with more absorption material. Particularly the side walls and ceiling.

+1 :thmbsp:

I would also experiment with placement. My Hereseys are very placement sensitive and seem to do best tight in the corners and toed in a bit.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new loudspeakers. They look fabulous. I too had the same issue with my '93 Chorus 2's, at first. However, my ears has since acclimated to the brightish tonality. Presently, I'm not bothered by it any longer.

As a matter of fact, the other day I visited a poker buddy's house and quickly noticed the difference between my tube powered C2's and his vintage Fisher system. The longer I stayed, the more I yearned for the clarity and pure power of my own.

Give it some time. If it continues to be an issue then follow Mr. Moray James advise. Believe me you, he knows what he is talking about. Several things I did do, was adding a couple of ounces of weight to the rear passive radiators, spread them apart about 15 feet, toed them in a bit and dampened the horns, as well. It was cheap and effective, and yes, it was Mr. James advise.

I'm keeping mine stock for now. Why bother at the expenditure if it is not broken to my ears. I figure, let well enough alone. However, It's good to know that I can upgrade in the future, if need be.

Good luck to you, sir.

I have KLF 30's with Crites tweeter and midrange diaphragms. Made a big difference to me. Next up are the crossovers. Lucky for me my cabinets are solid.

Okay, I'm getting the clear message to go forward with these KLF-20's and not move up, over or down(?) to another Klipsch model. Besides, much to my delight, my wife actually likes the way they look in the living room (and she cares little-to-none about the sound they make.)

I'll probably start with the tweeter diaphragms.

Good job!
I had KLF-10's and moved up to KLF-30's, both killed my ears when listening at good volume levels. Both were much, much better once I installed the ti tweeters. Next up for my 30's are the mid's and rebuilt crossovers.

If you own a KLF speaker and you listen to moray james, you will be very happy.

Got the Crites diaphragms this morning. Just installed the tweeters. So simple! It took maybe 20 minutes per. Just a phillips head and a small wrench.

I'm definitely experiencing these as an improvement. The presentation has smoothed out and opened up a bit. And interestingly, became clearer in the process.

I'll know better after a few albums (CD or LP) how/if they've mitigated the listening fatigue.

BTW, I found my tweets have the oil around the coil, so there was no cleaning of that channel.

EDIT TO ADD:

I received the mids as well. Not sure when I'll get to changing those out.

Swapping to the Crites 'phragms in my KG5.5's made the difference between "I don't think these will be sticking around" to "not the best I've heard, but for the $300 I have invested in them they ain't goin' anywhere". Now they reside in my 2.1 home theater and are perfect there.

I too find it interesting that, after all the other designs you've tried, you find the KLF's so satisfying. I mean, I don't doubt they can do it, but it certainly is very telling about what these things are capable of. Though I haven't heard any of the KLF models, I would imagine the 20's pretty close in sonic character to my KG5.5's and they definitely have a good number of endearing sonic characteristics.

Last edited:
I'm definitely experiencing these as an improvement. The presentation has smoothed out and opened up a bit. And interestingly, became clearer in the process.

You think the sound has smoothed out and opened up a bit? Wait til you get the mids in there....:yes:

I too find it interesting that, after all the other designs you've tried, you find the KLF's so satisfying. I mean, I don't doubt they can do it, but it certainly is very telling about what these things are capable of. Though I haven't heard any of the KLF models.

If you get a chance to hear a pair and leave the room unimpressed, I can almost bet that they were stock with lame amplification. It's when these speakers get a little tlc that they are capable of impressing a critical listener. Same goes for the KLF-30's.

My Klipsch speakers sound great when driven by tubes...no fatigue at all...incredibly clean and open but nothing bright or sharp.

Just another word of encouragement to stick with the KLF's & continue experimenting/tweaking your system around them. I had KLF-30's for about a year & "upgraded" to Khorns. Then tried the Chorus II with some Crites diaphragms. After those adventures, I'm back to Modded KLF-30's and a pair of modded KLF-20's in my music room. :D

Last edited:
You are hearing what I have been talking about and measuring for years. Its a combination of the tweeter and the crossover network Klipsch uses that gives a 6 + db peak around 6 Khz. I would try up grading the crossover network and attenuating the tweeter a few db. Be careful with Ti tweeters they have a real resonance in the highest octave a that can excite lower frequency intermodulation distortions.

Also from looking at your photo the room looks a little on the hard side. So I would add thick carpet, place art work , book shelves, hanging drapes, etc on the side walls to break up and knock down upper frequencies.

I don't want to criticize your electronics, but esoteric and modern electronics seems to lean toward the bright. I can't stand Krell, Threshold, Cary, Lyngdorf, Cello and Carver SS and tube amps some with switching power supplies for that reason. Yamaha is even worse. You might want to try NAD SS with their soft clipping networks or older Mac tube stuff along with their 2000 series SS amps, C-28 and 29 pre-amps. Older Marantz model 7 pre amp with 8B or model 9 amps might help. But going to cost,$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You are hearing what I have been talking about and measuring for years. Its a combination of the tweeter and the crossover network Klipsch uses that gives a 6 + db peak around 6 Khz.

I installed the titanium mids a couple weeks ago (without x-over mod) and used my digital EQ to make a 3 db cut at 7k and it worked like a charm. The titanium mids were just as effective as the tweets.

don't have any suggestions (but looks like you've resolved your issues), just wanted to say that those speakers look great

not a fan of the black (would prefer a lighter colour), but they still look really nice

Agreed with twiii - newer SS gear tends to be bit "sterile" with horns (generally speaking, IMO) as well as with the McIntosh tube recommendation.

An MX 110 or C 22 with MC 225/240/275 or MC 250/2505 or 2100/2105 is the order of the day with these speakers. :thmbsp: (again, IMO).

Of course, this means a few $$$.

Back
Top Bottom