Am I the only one avoiding going to the movies because..

We had a theater in town, the "Roxy", opened in 1947, by a Mr Miller. He also sold radios, & had the 1st TV in town, a '48 7" Admiral bakelite set that is now mine. His daughter, Sara Grace, ran the theater after he died til her death in the early '90s. She was an unhappy, foul-tempered old woman, but she "Rode Herd" over several generations of kids, & made sure they always got home safe. As far as I remember, NOBODY ever turned up missing or anything like that from the Roxy. Sara Grace was a rather large, THREATENING person, who had NO qualms at all about leading teenage miscreants out of her theater by the ear. She lived a hard, thankless life, making her living a few quarters & dimes at a time...

Wow thanks for all the post!
Glad to see that I am not the only one no longer enjoying the current “Go to the movies” experience.
And I didn’t even mention the pre-show advertising & the prices at the door & snack bar.:lurk:

Man, it just sucks when those crinkling candy wrappers drown out that ear shattering volume.

You're all a bunch of hypersensitive, whiny, exaggerating grumps. It's called being around other human beings. Suck it up and deal with it. :boring:

Well you are obviously enjoying your movie experience.Good for you.:thmbsp:

No need to insult & be rude to those who are not...:wtf:

As to those who posted that we need to suck up & deal with it.

No we don’t.
We can vote with our feet & wallets, stay home & watch on our home theaters.

Blueray,7.1 home audio systems & 4000 DPI HD TV’s have given us the option of enjoying the movie experience at home.

I can take the money saved at the door & snack bar & rent or buy the DVD. :thmbsp:

Cheers
PQ

Man, it just sucks when those crinkling candy wrappers drown out that ear shattering volume.

You're all a bunch of hypersensitive, whiny, exaggerating grumps. It's called being around other human beings. Suck it up and deal with it. :boring:

+/- 120dB SPL level is the threshold of pain for human hearing, which is what I'd experienced the last couple of trips to the local theaters. But I paid my shekels to be entertained, not tortured.

You go right ahead though. :twak:

The last movie I saw was Michael Jackson's "This is It " . I was invited by a friend and I had a great time . There were kids of all ages dressed as MJ and some of them even did some of his dance moves..very well I might add . A side show at its best , I got more than my moneys worth ! Yea it was loud but in this case I guess it was best as it was sorta like being at a concert . We had coffee from the Starbucks in the lobby and the girl gave us the two for one deal .
I've never been much of a movie fan anyway . Even at home it takes me a long time to watch a movie . I keep pausing and going off to do other things and come back and watch some more later .
I'm going to attend a movie this weekend just so I can see for myself what I've been missing and what this thread is about .
I need to get out more often...
Rudy .

Cons:

• Price of tickets and snacks
  • Other people
  • Inferior sound despite promises of excellence
  • No truly low bass even in theaters and movies where others have claimed that it was phenomenal
  • Too loud
  • No remote...No pause button, not even a back button to see the good part again!

Funny- this is what my wife tells me when she asks to go to a cinema.
I prefer to NOT deal with the situation of paying to be a captive audience with a few overhanging brow Cro's in the audience. KNOW-WHEY.

I just go to stare at breasts!

hqdefault.jpg

Please allow me to make amends for my rude post. I can see why it offended you all.

My wife and I have been going to at least one movie a month for years and years. I have experienced all of the annoyances noted, but my personal experience is that they have been few and far between. As far as people talking during the movie, I have no qualms in walking up to them and politely but firmly reminding them that the movie has started. That usually does the trick.

As far as the sound, it can seem a little loud at first, but I to get used to it in a few minutes. Previews often seem louder than the movie. But, I haven't ever walked out after a movie and felt fatigued. That's just me.

So again, my apologies for a boorish post.

Tom Brennan: I deserved a "deal with this"

Hilarious comments. And amazingly, I agree with all of them.

Last movie I took my three kids to was the Lego movie (yeah, last winter). Eh, okay. Not worth the benjamin I laid down for four tickets, four medium popcorns and four watered-down sodas.

It's a kids' movie, so the noise of the crowd was no big deal. 11,000 watts of theater sound goodness can drown out a ton of babbling pre-teens. But the bearded 40-something greasy-looking dude that emerged from mom's basement with his AC/DC shirt on ... that was enough. Cackling throughout the movie. It really interrupted my nap. Very disappointing.

For six bucks I can order a movie through the local cable company, sit down on my nice leather couch or chair with the family, crank up the Fisher AV system and Polks, pop some corn, pour a drink and nod off peacefully with my family huddled about. Not much comparison.

It is just so freaking loud!:yikes:
The last 3 times I have gone out to the movies the volume has just been overwhelming. I went to see Furry and walked out of the theater sonically exhausted. And I a musician that has spent 35 years standing in front of drum kits & 100 watt guitar amps getting pretty damn loud on stage at times.:guitar:

I don’t know if it is I am just getting old :grumpy: Or that I am going to matinees when the theater is only 20% full & the volume level has not been adjusted to take in to account that there isn’t all those bodies absorbing the sound or what?.:dunno:

But I swear I am to the point of preferring to watch movies at home on my HD big screen & home theater set up where I can control the sound.:smoke:
I am even thinking of adding a compressor/limiter to my home 7.1 system to add some control the overwhelming dynamics in some of the action movies.

It is strange because it seems movies are mixed with this huge dynamic range. And yet music seems to be mixed to have all the dynamics squished to death.:no:

What is up with audio mixing & mastering these days?:confused:

Am I just a audio control freak or are there others that feel the same way at the movie theaters these days?:scratch2:

Damn I like going to the movies but I feel like I need to wear hearing protection sometimes:thumbsdn:

As always YMMV
Cheers
PQ

With Movies I agree with U!
" I a musician that has spent 35 years standing in front of drum kits & 100 watt guitar amps getting pretty damn loud on stage at times."
About this I say." Try 48+ yrs playing in front of Drums and with 300 Watts Amps(3) and my 2 Double 18" Woofers Cabs with 10" Mids powered by 1200 Watts/Can you hear me now?

With Movies I agree with U!
" I a musician that has spent 35 years standing in front of drum kits & 100 watt guitar amps getting pretty damn loud on stage at times."
About this I say." Try 48+ yrs playing in front of Drums and with 300 Watts Amps(3) and my 2 Double 18" Woofers Cabs with 10" Mids powered by 1200 Watts/Can you hear me now?

Sorry I can’t hear any more...If can you speak slowly I can try to read your lips.:D
PQ

I used to go to the "Virginians" a theater in Fredericksburg Va. that showed movies 6 months after their prime. Of course it was only 75 cents a ticket, sometimes 50 cents. The last movie I saw there or anywhere was the first Jurassic Park. That was before cell phones became what they've become. I wouldn't pay what a ticket costs today to endure rude people. Not missing it in the least.

I love the sonics,
it's the quality of the movies and the rudenes of the crowds that puts me off.

You lost me at "other HUMAN beings"...snort.....The cop out is..."It takes a village". No it doesn’t...it take an upbringing. No discipline/direction leads to no manners. I saw a video recently of a brat pushing a small shopping cart into a man’s legs. The mother did nothing after he tried to stop the brat. He kept doing it and laughing. The man opened up a carton of milk that was in the cart and poured it on the brat. The lady left the line with said brat….well played….

I would have gone to jail for that.

Yep me too...I'm sure the video was acted out. BUT....he could probably take her to court for long term physical and emotional damages and WON! Well the kid too. The world we live in....a sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom