AR speaker recommendation

Belvedere2

Presently enjoying my AR-90s. Looking for a bookshelf type AR that would sound similiar. Anything that uses the same tweeter, mid, and 8" mid? Sort of like an AR-90 without the two 10" woofers? Thanks!

According to the vintage AR literature I have for that series of speakers-- you may be looking for a pair of AR 18's or AR 28's. Both are two ways, both have 8" drivers. The 18's have a 1-1/4" dome tweeter and the 28's have a 1" dome tweeter. Seem to be same build "vintage". I do not own smaller AR's, so no personal experience- standard disclaimer... :thmbsp:

In a three way or in a 2 way.

AR has small and fairly big bookshelf.

Small bookshelf with the same (similar) drivers, AR-18, AR-18s. I've both, excellent little bookshelf.
Another excellent one but, from the early to mid 70s, the AR-7, has the 1.25" tweeter driver instead of the .75" driver like your 90.

Now the big bookshelf, the 3 way.
AR-2AX , with a 10", a 3.5", and a .75 drivers.
Also,
One that people tend to bypass, forget about, the excellent AR-5
This one has a 10", a 1.5" and a .75" drivers.

Or, if you can find them, the AR 10 pi are supposed to be pretty good sounding and if I'm not mistaken, the predecessor to the AR 90s you're currently enjoying.

Or, if you can find them, the AR 10 pi are supposed to be pretty good sounding and if I'm not mistaken, the predecessor to the AR 90s you're currently enjoying.
Love to have those but...really need a bookshelf sized speak. They'll end up on stands. Small bedroom system I can run with my Dynacos. The 90s sound great with them so we'll see what I can find.

Looking for AR90 sound in bookshelf size? I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you'll find anything even close. The unmistakable presence and dynamics when properly powered.... can't do it in a small bookshelf cabs. Speaking of the 10pi's, you say they're still too big for your purpose, they don't even compare anywhere near the AR 90's imho. I've had a restored 10pi before, and they were pretty good though.

The bedroom setup is likely a different order of sound. I've been using AR6 speakers for nodding off. They have proven to be superb for the purpose. The AR presentation includes all frequency responses, so nothing is lost, but these puppies deliver what Tom would possibly call "underwater" sound... what I'd call suitably toned down for nodding off. You don't have them on loud, but these speakers still produce fullsome bass at low volume. The high frequencies are so toned down that they cannot become harsh nomatter what setting you have on the preamp. I would describe these speakers as somehow comforting. So that's why I'd recommend them for the bedside music system.

Last edited:
I suggest the AR-18, great AR sound in a small package. They play much bigger than their size, and you can find them often for pretty cheap.:thmbsp:

Love to have those but...really need a bookshelf sized speak. They'll end up on stands. Small bedroom system I can run with my Dynacos. The 90s sound great with them so we'll see what I can find.

AR18's. love them. if you don't mind little floorstanders, look for some AR94's which are an AR18 with a second 8" woofer, and a 2.5 way, or AR93's, which have dual side firing 8" for bass, and the same 8" midwoof as your 90, and the same tweet as the 18's and 94's

if you don't mind newer, look for some mid 90's vintage AR338

http://classicspeakerpages.net/libr...ries_brochure/ar_303_series_brochure_pg3.html

Thanks for the help. Yeah not looking for the bass delivery of the 90s. Lower volume so the bass doesn't really kick that hard. The 90s don't deliver that till higher volumes either. I do know I like the tweeter and dome mid. Hear more of the front cab at lower volumes.

or, you can get mahbe the largest bookshelf speaker offered by any company, the LST. More realistically, there is the LST II and MST.

Apparently some folks have very different definitions of book shelf speakers. Several of the suggestions would not meet my definition of a bookshelf speaker. To each his own...... :scratch2:

or, you can get mahbe the largest bookshelf speaker offered by any company, the LST. More realistically, there is the LST II and MST.

I would not consider the LST's book shelf speakers. They are too big!
The smaller LST-2's come in @ 60lbs each.
Even the AR3/3a's I feel would be quite large for shelves.

The closest you're going to get to an AR-90 in a smaller cabinet is the AR-91/AR-915, which uses the same tweeter and mid with a 12" woofer, or the AR-92/AR-925 which uses the same tweeter and mid with a 10" woofer.

This thread may help you get a handle on AR's better offerings:
How Did AR's Top Dogs Stack Up?

Back
Top Bottom