Sansui 771 volume knob fix

Drummerboy75

I'm taking ownership on Saturday of a Sansui 771. A co-worker is giving it to me. It was working fine until one day the volume knob started working intermittently, then one day just stop working at all. He claims that it had a lot of static and went way up and down when you turned the knob, then stopped working all together.

I'm guessing it operates by a rheostat? If not what might be the issue?

That may not necessarily be the issue with your potentiometer, but Deoxit may be a worthwhile try. To me, it sounds more like the shaft is possibly disconnected from the wipers. I am not familiar with the 771 internally, but other may jump in with comments. In the meantime, get yourself some Deoxit, Faderlube and Caig Gold in preparation to do the cleaning work. At its age all the switches and pots, in your 771, could use the treatment.

After a good cleaning, my 771 is nice and clean and clear sounding with some pretty good oomph when needed.
Love it.
Keeper.:yes:

Holst Planets to Herbie Hancock to Jeff Beck. It can deliver all.

While we are on the subject, how good of a performer in the 771?

And thanks for the info!

A few years back, I came across a cosmetically beautiful 771 with blown outputs at a garage sale. Since it was practically free, it came home with me.

I gave it a complete overhaul, with the intention of gifting it to a friend for use in his vacation condo. After I finished the work and gave it a test run, I was amazed at how rich, full, and warm it sounded....... I really thought twice about giving it up (but I did).

Fast forward to a couple of months ago.... an 881 landed in my lap for free, and I cannot wait to tear into it and get it overhauled.

These are amazing receivers, and are reponsible in a large way from turning me from long time Pioneer Fan-Boy to Sansui Sycophant. :)

I prefer the d100 and the f100 because the spray cans contain a solvent, thought to be naptha, which can damage wipers and carbon traces in some equipment. The internal lubricant can also be dissolved by Deoxit which means the faderlube is necessary. The Gold seals the contacts from further corrosion. After you done a few of these, you don't want to have to go back in and do it again. The Gold is worth the extra dollars by a long shot.

Well, after getting the receiver home and cleaning it up, I hooked everything up and figured out that there was nothing at all wrong with the unit. The guy I got it from must ha e accidentally pushed in the FM Mute button. I push it in, and BAM, sounds great!

IMG_20141206_132912.jpg

I got mine 6 mo. ago and I can't imagine replacing it,or at this point downgrading it to a lesser room.Nice to have that extra speaker set for the outside also!

Back
Top Bottom