Marantz 2110 tick or click noise inside tuner

Hi,

I'm new here and to tuners as a hobby. I do however do electronics repair.

I just got a Marantz 2110 that is having a small issue especially when cold. When I first turn the tuner on cold it will operate fine, but there will be several tick or click noises from inside the tuner (maybe 4-8 times in the first 30 seconds). Once the tuner is warm the tick sounds are very rare but do occur occasionally.

My first thought is arching especially with the high voltage. However, I have watched the thing in the dark and can't ever see an arch. I have disconnected the scope tube and the tick remains. I have removed the high voltage fuse and the tick still remains. I can't figure out where it is coming from by listening to the ticking.

I think maybe it's a transformer or the brightness or fucus pots, but like I said I can't locate it. When it ticks, the scope dot will jump if on no station and muted.

Is this something that anyone has come across before? Where should I look?

Thanks,
craigr

Last edited:
I just discovered that if I pull fuse 804 than the ticking doe not happen. This is the 430 volt lead off the transformer.

Any advice on what normally goes wrong with these?

Thanks again,
craigr

Last edited:
All right, I have a lot more clicking after messing with the fuses and this allowed me to track it down. Its either Q809 diode 2DL15 or C811/C812 10uf 350v...

craigr

Last edited:
Well once the clicking got more frequent after pulling fuses it was easy to find that C812 (350 volt cap) had leaked a very small amount of fluid at it's base. It was probably arching under there. I replaced the caps and all is well. I think I will recap the entire power board.

Hopefully my conversation with myself may help someone in the future :music:

Interestingly, my Peak ESR meter reports both caps as good. Though the leaky one has an ESR 0.35 ohms higher than the dry one.

craigr

Last edited:
Good to follow through your troubleshooting methods to find the culprit.
I assume the ecap is breaking down under hi-v so it escapes the ESR meter test.
Another test method may isolate the fault, say charging the ecap up to a hi-v, using a controlled CC source, just some ideas.

Cheers Rick

Yeah, it drives me nuts when I search the internet for a problem, find a thread some place that matches, and then the solution is never posted.

Hopefully this thread can be helpful to someone.

craigr

Back
Top Bottom