Check out my minty KA-6000

henesy

Todays thrift score was a minty Kenwood KA-6000 integrated amp in its original box for $90. I think that it was one of those deals where it sat in someone's closet for years without being played, and they decided to give it to the thrift shop to "make space". No dust in the interior that I can see, so I didn't take off the back, and amazingly there were no crackle issues with the pots and switches so I haven't hit the amp with a deoxy clean. The unit is clean with its wood siding, is that walnut?

At the thrift shop there was also a Kenwood tuner in original box, prolly the tuner that was purchased with the original system. That was $55. I don't listen to the radio, so I took a pass. What do you think, should I buy that too?

Anyway, I hooked up my Legendary Concept 2QD TT to the unit, with a pair of KEF q60s, and my records are sounding crystal clear. Really a classic Mid Century Modern piece.

any reflections on this make and model by Kenwood?

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Cool! Since you're not much of a radio listener, the tuner would be fun - so you need to ask yourself if $55 is an amount you're happy paying for entertainment purposes (as opposed to the more practical purpose of actual radio listening with it).

Cool! Since you're not much of a radio listener, the tuner would be fun - so you need to ask yourself if $55 is an amount you're happy paying for entertainment purposes (as opposed to the more practical purpose of actual radio listening with it).

Well, I guess that's it's cool to have a complete system for collecting purposes. Collecting this stuff is funny, things like original packaging and whatnot making a difference. This is like a time capsule, someone bought this unit in 1969 and put it away and its been traveling through space and time to be donated to the thrift shop for me to geek out over.

I think that I'll pick up the tuner today now that I'm thinking about it.

will post pics after my purchase

The tuner is a KT-7000

See pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 71
What I don't have

are the manuals though.

Well, I guess that I can look through the internets and see if I can find some original copies. Just to complete the total package.

The tuner sounds great-it's nice to have original equipment matches, I think I am hearing good synergy between the components.
:music:

ha ha ha

Hey, when I went back to thrift store for the tuner I leafed through the dollar lp bins and found: the Beatles first 2 albums(ta-dah!). They look to be unplayed, minty copies, and they are from the original West coast printings(the ebay research tells me). Ka-ching! Cool! Anyway a lucky day for me. Thrift stores are the best!

Attachments

• Photo on 6-30-14 at 3.56 PM.jpg
    Photo on 6-30-14 at 3.56 PM.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 33
Hey, when I went back to thrift store for the tuner I leafed through the dollar lp bins and found: the Beatles first 2 albums(ta-dah!). They look to be unplayed, minty copies, and they are from the original West coast printings(the ebay research tells me). Ka-ching! Cool! Anyway a lucky day for me. Thrift stores are the best!

Okay, it's official. I hate you!
Congrats!

are the manuals though.

Well, I guess that I can look through the internets and see if I can find some original copies. Just to complete the total package.

The tuner sounds great-it's nice to have original equipment matches, I think I am hearing good synergy between the components.
:music:

Here is a link for the operators manual and schematic for the KA-6000
http://joshuabarashphotography.com/productmanuals/free_manual_downloads.htm
The schematic for the KT-7000 is here:
http://elektrotanya.com/kenwood_kt-7000_am-fm_tuner_sch.png/download.html

Here is a link for the operators manual and schematic for the KA-6000
http://joshuabarashphotography.com/productmanuals/free_manual_downloads.htm
The schematic for the KT-7000 is here:
http://elektrotanya.com/kenwood_kt-7000_am-fm_tuner_sch.png/download.html

Hey, thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of finding the original boxed manuals, mainly for the geek collector value of having complete sets.
here's one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-KT-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27e5e2bc5d

ha ha ha, $40 is kinda expensive for a cool factor geek thing. But it's neat that ebay offers an opportunity to find impossible-to-find things, like 45 year old original user's manuals.

At the end of of the day it all comes down to how things sound, and I can give a definite thumbs up for the KA-6000. Super clean audio with a crystalline, analytical presentation. I was listening to my Sansui 7070 yesterday, and that is a beautiful rig, the sound is tubey, syrupy and honey coated in comparison to this Kenwood set-up. Really really interesting how much different units of similar vintages can vary.

Excellent! :tresbon:

Just excellent scores on both Kenwood Intergrated Amplifier and Tuner. :thmbsp:

Yes :yes: audio karma was definitely with you.

Maybe consider, if possible, replacing the original bulbs/lamps with LED's on that tuner? :scratch2: Believe me it will make that display stand out big time!

I did this on my Kenwood KT-5000 tuner (also have the matching Intergrated Amplifier KA-5002) and display looks stunning to say the least.

A big congrad's to ya!

The 6000 is a nice amplifier. But a nightmare of caps and faulty transistors when it needs servicing. I got one from a fellow member an went though it and changed the known noisey transistors plus everyone of the caps but my balance is screwy sorta so its been parked for a while.
None the less you got a score there man congrats on a nice set!

Back
Top Bottom