JVC RX-8000V: Quiet is LOUD

DavidE

I have a JVC RX-8000V Receiver with an odd problem. At times, when turning the volume down (CCW), the volume INCREASES. The auto response to such an event is to turn the volume down [more], which again makes it louder. Knowing this, I now adjust the volume WITH CARE. I've noticed that if done slowly, the indicator will decrease, increase, and then decrease again if a pause is inserted. Might the pot just need a cleaning (DeOxIt)? I'm hoping that it will be accessible with the top/side cover removed. Any ideas?

DavidE

Probably an encoder, not a pot, and that sounds plausible.

Is this happening only using the knob on the front, or also using the remote? I'm assuming this is with the knob. If it's happening with the remote also then it's possibly an electronics problem.

These RX units have DIGITAL encoder volume knobs. I had an issue with my RX 7000V turning the volume all the way down when I just turned it a little way, or it doesn't respond at all, I would suggest getting the contacts cleaned on the inside. So YES you do need to clean it. I actually need to go back and clean my Multi Jog knob because it has a mind of its own currently.

I also want to say that an issue with the volume control itself isn't likely, given that I have two receivers from the RX series and the lesser used one (RX-6000V) has clean encoders and volume changing is fluid and responsive. My much more heavily used RX 7000V, as I stated previously, has very dodgy knobs, which I probably need to clean again due to how much use they get.

Last edited:
Probably an encoder, not a pot, and that sounds plausible.

Is this happening only using the knob on the front, or also using the remote? I'm assuming this is with the knob. If it's happening with the remote also then it's possibly an electronics problem.

I put the remote through some motion and it seems to work properly. No inadvertent changes in volume. So it seems that the issue is with the knob. Thanks, N8Nagel, for the input.

I don't know why I just saw this only now... but anyway have you tried giving the encoder a deoxit bath yet? Results?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

Well ... I was able to break the unit down and access the back of the face plate, but was UNABLE to get to the volume control unit. There are two circuit boards within the face plate and even after removing all of the attachment screws (that I could find) I was not able to remove them. The last thing I wanted to do was to crack a board, so I gave up trying to remove them. So I guess I'm stuck with using the remote, which does seem to control the volume properly. Thanks for your help and suggestions, guys.

Service manual is available free here. I peeked, and it looks like they show how to get to the control, but it's hard to tell from the pics, and I don't have the unit sitting in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom