A few questions on Mcintosh C48 preamp

Huck

Hi:
I am seriously looking at the McIntosh C48 preamp,but I have a few questions,one of which I can't seem to find on the Mac pdf owners manual.
Since I will be using a Copland c.d. player,Oppo blu-ray player,two Nakamichi cassette decks,(playback only) input designtions for the c.d. and blu-ray (dvd) are there,but not sure what inputs to use for the two tape decks,as there are no assigned "tape" inputs....can I use "Tuner and Aux"??
Next question....since I will using all four sources,assuming I can plug in my 2 tape decks....I will be using probably four different EQ settings,maybe more treble for the tape decks and maybe less treble when using the c.d. and blu-ray(sacd).....so can I program this unit to "remember" each different EQ profile for each of the separate four inputs,or will I have to manually go in and change each EQ setting for whatever input I choose? Thanks,Huck

Last edited:
Let's see I know you could do what you want with a B&K pre-amp HT processor of old, but I'm afraid you are out of luck with your tape decks and the C-48. Why don't you go in and touch the alignment and EQ of the individual decks. I did on my Ampexs, Nakamichis and Revoxs . The Ampexs were always a compromise at 7 1/2 ips. If you wanted to meet specs at 15 khz you had to boost 12 khz a touch over a db with the SS units and even more on the tube units. Revox with the round surfaced play heads were a little smoother as were Studers I -used and owned. Bass head bumps were more of a concern to me though. Personally, I don't like the new pre-amps for tape decks unless they are just for play back. Crown decks were a pain! And that's why I have a C-34, to have the record selector and play back selector and mode selector. The ability to insert a processor or the graphic tone controls into the record loop are very necessary for me. I'd love to have a C-40, but don't have the space in my electronics cabinet. The C-40 would be the perfect pre-amp for me if it had a Moving coil inputs, too. I really don't need remote control for the stereo part of the system. Its nice for the HT mode though. With the continual updates of digital sources I can't see being tied to a C-48, C-50 or C-2500. The release of the new D-150 is evidence as to why. How long will it be before there is a D 200 and the C-48 is two generations old before its time. An original C-22 never really became obsolete, just out of fashion. And they are quite in demand today. I don't see that for the future of HT pre-amps and digital pre-amps today. I will admit until there is a solution for a convenient source for 4k we maybe able to take a breather in updating every time the orient needs an influx of cash. Do I really need a 5k display for my iMac? If it had a 37" screen?

I'm not 100% sure but I think, depending on the output voltage of your tape decks, you can use any input except phono; and you should be able to rename those inputs to 'tape'.

As for the EQ; you cannot save different curves for each input. If you set a curve on the EQ, you can only save whether the EQ is applied to each input, or out of the circuit (flat).

Thanks to all who replied!. I think I can 'volume match' each input,but would like to just push a button and the EQ settings would be applied to whatever input I have selected. I sometimes have 3 sources running at once....maybe a DCC disc playing on the Copland,an AF SACD on the Oppo and an old Maxell UD tape on the one Nak from the 80's when I used to tape for my car and rather than adjust for when I switch around,I would prefer to just hit a button for that tone setting.....but I guess not?! Thanks,Huck

On C48 the two phonos and one USB digital input are fixed. So this leaves 6 high level stereo inputs. These are set to the RCA stereo inputs but may be changed to a balanced input or digital, coax or optical if desired. The Rec. Output is RCA only and will send whatever source you select at a fixed volume level.
I think this is all you will need for the source outline you listed.

thanks,
Ron-C

Yes you can volume match the inputs in the Setup menu for each input. As I said, you can set your one EQ curve to be applied or not applied, also in each Setup menu.
Other than applying through Setup, you can also just hit the 'EQ Bypass' button each time you listen to a source if you want it flat, otherwise only your one existing EQ curve will be applied to whatever input is playing.

There are no automatic EQ settings for multiple sources on the C48. You can adjust volume input for each input, any RCA input except phono will work for your tape decks and you can manually set the EQ bypass for listen to the native source with no pre-amp EQ applied.

Thanks to all who replied!. I think I can 'volume match' each input,but would like to just push a button and the EQ settings would be applied to whatever input I have selected. I sometimes have 3 sources running at once....maybe a DCC disc playing on the Copland,an AF SACD on the Oppo and an old Maxell UD tape on the one Nak from the 80's when I used to tape for my car and rather than adjust for when I switch around,I would prefer to just hit a button for that tone setting.....but I guess not?! Thanks,Huck

I have a Tascam 122MK2 hooked up to my C48.

The record outputs are also hooked up because sometimes I record certain radio shows for archival purposes....

However, on the C48 there is no provision for record monitoring which is a little annoying, so basically you end up recording blind if you know what I mean...

Is there any McIntosh pre-amp where you can store the EQ curves?
I don't think there is....

Although the MEN220 has presets where you can store EQ curves on the slightly annoying "cut only" equaliser....

Still, the C48 is an awesome pre-amp.......I like it, and to be honest, I have found the better my system has got the less EQ needs to be used....

Back
Top Bottom