Help with my c2300

There is only one category ability to select on a MM that's the load capacitance ,unless I'm not doing it right , so time to have some fun !! Reviews of my system with new pics soon !!! So far out of the box mu first impression is holy crap wow!!

That is correct...most MM cartridges are set for a standard 47K. Tweak the capacitance for the upper mid/ high end you prefer. If you don't hear much difference, you might consider tweaking your VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) on your cartridge (the tonearm height adjustment is quite simple on the Marantz 15) for the best focus and frequency balance top to bottom. If VTA is too low, the sound tends to be muddy and too warm...too high tends to be edgy and too bright. Just right, and the music just flows off the groove!

Last edited:
That is correct...most MM cartridges are set for a standard 47K. Tweak the capacitance for the upper mid/ high end you prefer. If you don't hear much difference, you might consider tweaking your VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) on your cartridge (the tonearm height adjustment is quite simple on the Marantz 15) for the best focus and frequency balance top to bottom. If VTA is too low, the sound tends to be muddy and too warm...too high tends to be edgy and too bright. Just right, and the music just flows off the groove!

yes my cart is set for 47 k and cap @100pf i set the cap. at 100pf and the charge it frm my sit as i plau music with the remote and i dnt hear any diffence really , so i might change the vta , but how much do u start ? thx you for helping

When you do the trim balacing for all your sources it just sets the volume at the preamp to match each other.

However when playing a digital file from a computer, ie 1 souces it can have multiple volumes per file and the preamp will not know this. The same is true for CDs each one can have higher and lower volumes.

My above post is a standar safety practice for HiFi equipment and you should make a habit of it.

You could be blasting a record the night befor and then turn off the system. The next day you come home and play a hot file and blow a tweeter.

Turn the volume down befor shutting down the system.

Turn down the volume before you move the source selector switch.

Simple

That's a feature I love on my MX-119. You can set the power on volume no matter where yo power off :)

hey Dan!

bob

yes my cart is set for 47 k and cap @100pf i set the cap. at 100pf and the charge it frm my sit as i plau music with the remote and i dnt hear any diffence really , so i might change the vta , but how much do u start ? thx you for helping

If you have listened to a range of recordings with plentiful high frequency content and hear no difference between 100pf and 750pf, then your cartridge may be very insensitive to capacitive loading, or your phono cables may have high capacitance. Generally make very large changes to get a sense of the difference and then optimize to taste once you know what you are listening for. As for VTA try +/- 4 mm and see if you notice a difference in the sound between the two settings. If yes, then tweak for the best focus...the sound just "locks in" and sounds right when VTA is optimized. If no, then just leave VTA where it was originally and enjoy.

ok got it , i appreciate your help on this , so even though my cap on my car is 100pf im allowed to change is to my taste w/o hurting anything ?? so as u changed the cap. to a high setting the high decreased and get muddy sounding , thankyou for the heads up what to listen for !!! As for the vta i will leave it alone its set according to the manuel and im uncomfortible with messing with it !! lol thx again

ok got it , i appreciate your help on this , so even though my cap on my car is 100pf im allowed to change is to my taste w/o hurting anything ?? so as u changed the cap. to a high setting the high decreased and get muddy sounding , thankyou for the heads up what to listen for !!! As for the vta i will leave it alone its set according to the manuel and im uncomfortible with messing with it !! lol thx again

Remember when setting the capacitance to the manufacturers specs, they list the capacitance for the cart only, you will need to also measure or look up the capacitance for the cables too....
They can be a 100pf or so.......

I fiddled around with mine, and I found my cart seems to be insensitive to capacitance.....
So I set it to the cart spec (250pf) + 100pf for the cable...

Altering the capacitive loading will not harm anything. If 750pf decreases the highs and sounds muddy...that's too much.

ok so i should add the cap for the cart and the cap for the cables together and start frm there , my cables on my marantz TT15 are hard wired in so im not sure where i will find the spec i will ck it out thankyou for all ur help !!

I would just do it by ear. Here are a few examples of the effects of cartridge loading on the high end response of a Shure V15V cartridge. Going from 220pf to 400pf raises the response around 10KHz, however above that response drops away more rapidly. 830pf reduces the slight hump at 10KHz, but response drops away much more quickly above that.

Attachments

• Shure V15V Loading 1.jpg
    Shure V15V Loading 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Shure V15V Loading 2.jpg
    Shure V15V Loading 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Shure V15V Loading 3.jpg
    Shure V15V Loading 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes, adjust with the trim level for each input source. You might not get it "exact" but it should be good enough. But, there is a problem... I find with CD's or other digital inputs that the actual source material (not source player) can be at different levels (i.e one flac file sounds louder than another), so the trim doesn't help too much then...

Cd's definitely vary when it comes to volume and dynamic range, but, fortunately, my Mac integrated comes with a remote with a volume control.

Back
Top Bottom