Need comments on XR1052 speakers

JimmyNeutron

Yesterday I went to my local isolditonebay store (you know, the type where you bring in your stuff and they sell it for you on the bay) to pick up some stuff that I won on ebay. I asked if they were getting ready to list any vintage stuff. The owner gladly showed me around his inventory and showed me a ....................pair of Mcintosh XR1052 speakers :jawdrop:

He said they were listed last month but the owner had a reserve on them that the bidders did not meet. I remember seeing the auction and I even put a bid on them, but now I'm seeing them in person and they are big and pretty - very nice condition. The owner said that this time there is no reserve on them. The auction will probably not top $500 - $600.00 (last time it topped at $500.00). It is also a "local pick up only" auction, so this should help my chances of owning these guys considerably. Needless to say I plan to buy them. My question is that I've never heard these speakers. I have been in the market for a pair of high-end full range speakers for my bedroom system (MC7200 and C-39). Can anyone convince me that it's a great set of speakers and I should do it? Comments on their sound and performance?

Years ago I had a pair. They are extremely inefficient. Something like 82dB. I was driving them with a pair of MC50's. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I asked around on the forums and groups, and they told me I needed 300-500W of amp, even though the speakers are only rated at 100W. Plus this was before I knew about imaging, so don't know how good a job they would do on that. But even with that in mind, I didn't think too much of them. I got them for very cheap here in New Zealand (probably the only pair), something like $175USD. In MINT condition. They didn't go very low (for my liking), and just don't sound like they should at their real price range. Look at it this way, if they didn't say "McIntosh", I wouldn't have paid even $175USD for them. It took me 6 months to sell in New Zealand, knowing the price in the US was something like $1400USD (on audio classics etc), I only got $200USD for them.

Recently I bought something from the local newspaper, and what do you know, it was the guy who bought them! He's very happy with them, and says he won't be selling them. So perhaps there were just too many things wrong at the time I had them. Even so, there is a page on Roger Russell's site about distortion in the 1052's. The woofer's IMD was something like 10%. The newer speakers with the HP/LD drivers were more like 0.5%.

Hope that helps.

I bought a pair of XR1052s new in 1988, and used them until 1993 (when I was offered a great deal on a set of KEF107s). The XR1052s do need a big amp --- I used a MC7270. Strenghts of the speakers are a relatively good lower end (though certainly not as well defined as the current McIntosh speakers), an overall "smooth" sound, and being quite tolerant of placement near the rear wall. In my opinion, their primary weaknesses are (1) a lack of transparency at higher frequenies and (2) they need to play fairly loud in order to have a lively sound. They are not a speaker for low volume listening in my opinion.

Overall, they are a very good speaker for $500 if you already have a substantial amplifier and liisten to music that requires a "big scale" sound, such as symphonies. Check to see if they need refoaming and factor this into your budget.

Regarding appearance, I found the WAF quite high despite the size because they were tolerant of near rear wall placement. The walnut cabinets look quite nice when properly cared for, although unfortunately the back isn't finished.

I have an MC7200 amp in my bedroom for these speakers, but I have been thinking of moving my MC7270 to the bedroom (for these XR1052's) and use my MC7200 for my Carver ribbons in the theater room downstairs. I listen to classical, prog/metal, metal, and soft (Yanni, Sarah, Tori, etc). Volume would be low to mid for the wife, but balls to the wall for me. I take it I do have enough power with either the 7270 or the 7200, so the inefficiency rating should not pose a problem. I am concerned about the lack of transparency though. But still, if I can get these speakers for $500 - $600.00 (no shipping or tax), would this still be a good deal? I mean, there are McIntosh speakers, right? :yes:

The surrounds are all in excellent shape, as are all the drivers. The cabinet has a couple of small dings on the bottom corners - nothing I cannot completely restore. The finish is also in very good condition - a bit of tung oil and these speakers would look like they just came off the floor.

I have been looking for full range speakers lately but the price is out of my budget right now (actually, these speakers are out of my budget too, we're expecting our 3rd child in 3 month's). But I can sell off a few other things to make up for these (I hope). At least I would be able to sell them to my bro-in-law - he's also a Mac fanatic.These speakers, price wise and brand wise, seem to be a good choice if.....IF your comments are positive.

Last edited:
I had a pair of 1051s, which I was told are basically the same speaker as th 1052s. I ran them with a 2002 and a 2255 with good results. I really liked the speakers. They gave me countless hours of musical enjoyment.

I'm refoaming a pair of 1052's for a client and would like to know the value of the original fuses. He had replaced them with some odd values, and...while I could make a good guess...I'd rather hear it from a knowledgeable source.

I do not have the schematic for the XR1052 but the mostly identical 1051 had 3 and 1 1/4 amp fuses.

A member of the family had a pair of 1052's that he drove with a MC2600 with a B&K HT pre-amp and 502's in mono for the ML-1's with updated crossovers for the rear speakers. I don't remember what he was using for the center channel. But anyway we spent the evening listening to Sheffield and other Direct to disc recordings, with some of my live boot legs thrown in. And the stereo sound was fantastic. They easily out performed ML-2's and were even better sounding than XR-7's, I thought at the time. The sound was open and clear with great tight percussive bass. He said he blew one tweeter and replaced them both with an updated pair, which at the time I didn't investigate. He later changed to the powered M&K S-150 series all around with 2 of the MX350 subs. and sold his 2600. It was a great HT system with a larger dynamic range, but I preferred his 1052's and 2600 for playing great stereo sound. We sold a few sets with 7300's as I remember and the owners were very enthusiastic about the sound.

Thanks! Do you happen to know which fuse went where? I assume one is for lows, the other for mid/high...

The 1.25 is for tweeters when gone red warming lamp lights. If the 3 goes speaker won't play at all. Even if tweeter fuse did not blow. Ensure your 1.25 says fast blow. My earlier XRs are all marked with which size fuse to use in which holder.

Back
Top Bottom