McIntosh C2200 Pre VS Everything Else

CountD

Anyone out there have a C2200 that moved up to a C2200 from a vintage tube pre (C22, Mx110, Etc)? I am interested in what you think. I am thinking about a C2200 vs. another original vintage C22 since its 1) A little cheaper and 2) Newer. Would like to think what people think, because it's probably going to be the last piece I buy for a loooonnng time. And of course, it will be used with a Mc2300.

I used to have one. They're quite nice and quite solid compared to the older, vintage gear.

One cool thing about them is that the volume control is an optical encoder, which drives a solid-state volume control system. This means that the inter-channel volume tracking is dead on, compared to the vintage gear's old-school volume controls.

Another is that the input switching is handled right at the back where the inputs are. This reduces the amount interconnecting wiring needed, again unlike the vintage gear that has audio signals routed all over the place.

For mating with Mac amplifiers, there's a way to calibrate the output meters of the preamp to the power amp. In your case, this isn't necessary since you already have meters on the mighty MC-2300. It is a nice feature when you're using a C-2200 with an MC-275, 240 or 225 as I have done.

Lastly, the output impedance is _really_ low, which means that it can drive all sorts of power amps out there.

Lots of other features, too, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Cheers,

David

If you're looking for that last pre you'll buy for a long time, I'd definitely suggest modern vs. vintage.

The C2200 has a neutral, more modern sound than the original C22. Tube sound...yes, but not coloured or "tubey". This can be adjusted to your taste with choice of tubes.

The volume control is a big step up as mentioned by David. The switching is silent and reliable and the control features are legion and excellent. You also get a remote if that matters to you.

Noise floor is lower and the C2200 has a very nice, quiet phono stage (MM only). The phono stage tubes can be turned off when not in use.

I would suggest you read the manual to get an idea of the C2200 capabilities...input level matching, etc.

All in all, unless you have a hankering/preference for an older McIntosh with the earlier "classic" tube sound, I'd recommend the C2200.

Douglas

The C2200 has a neutral, more modern sound than the original C22. Tube sound...yes, but not coloured or "tubey". This can be adjusted to your taste with choice of tubes.

The volume control is a big step up as mentioned by David. The switching is silent and reliable and the control features are legion and excellent. You also get a remote if that matters to you.

Noise floor is lower and the C2200 has a very nice, quiet phono stage (MM only). The phono stage tubes can be turned off when not in use.

I would suggest you read the manual to get an idea of the C2200 capabilities...input level matching, etc.

All in all, unless you have a hankering/preference for an older McIntosh with the earlier "classic" tube sound, I'd recommend the C2200.

Douglas

I agree with all of the above. I don't have experience with vintage McIntosh, but have just bought the C2200 and it is wonderful. It is plenty tubey sounding, but in a good way. It magically transformed the sound of my system from mediocre to beautiful. I use the phono stage and it is nice also. Before purchasing, I compared it to a bunch of other preamps (such as PrimaLuna and McIntosh C2500) and preferred the C2200 by quite a margin.

I hope I'll never have to replace it. If I had to, it would be with another C2200. I think this will be the classic among classics.

Last edited:
C2200, and especially the C2300, are going to be future classics without a doubt. Sturdy, reliable (none of the issues with the C2500 for example), and though I haven't had a chance to directly compare yet, I suspect not much more than a stone's throw from the C500T.

I've had a C2200 in my system for a while now, and love it today as much as I did when I first got it. Right now I have all Telefunken tubes in it. I don't think you can go wrong with that pre amp.

C2500 is as reliable as the C2300.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Respectfully speaking, we apparently have different definitions for "reliable". At least if what I've witnessed on this forum and what has been explained to me by other members about that model is to stand for anything.

Ok, I suppose there was one bad meter on a C2300 recently...

And yes, before someone throws out the whole "people only come to forums to complain" argument, I fully understand that. However, for a company that has proven it can build equipment that withstands the test of time and suffers an almost non existent number of problems overall, even the 5 or 6 instances of issues with the C2500 just since I began following the McIntosh side of AK is enough that I won't just pretend its issue free. In fact, the recent tube failure in one unit in another thread here could have been severe enough to damage other equipment down the line for that person. Someone else chimed in to that thread and indicated that the exact same failure had occurred in the 2500 of a friend or family member. You may blame a poor quality batch of tubes and not the C2500 itself, but unfortunately it is sold as a package... And enough so that it has been dropped from my list of "toys to try" which resulted in me skipping straight to the two box preamps (C100, 200 or 500T) as my next preamp of choice. Ironically, it's not as though me moving UP the chain is a bad thing for Mac. I'm sorry if my position makes me unpopular or annoying here.

Last edited:
The C2200 is the best I have ever had

I just bought a C2200 pre off ebay for $2800.00. I was advertised as perfect condition except one burned out bulb. The seller packed it very well. Well padded & supported in one box then fitted in a second box with whote polyethylene foam board. In spite of all the care of packing, Fedex still managed to break the glass face plate. I contacted the seller and said I would do the labor if he paid for a replacement faceplate. I contacted McIntosh & they qouted $159.00 for a replacement, but they are on back-order. II contacted the seller, and he sent me $170.00. Super guy!

Now for the review:

The first thing I can say is WOW! Way better than the Audio Refinement PRE-II DSP I was using. My power amps are McIntosh MC-60's driving Altec Lancing Valencia speakers.

I put on the Dave Brubeck Quartet and closed my eyes. After Take Five, Paul Desmond tapped me on the shoulder, shook my hand & told me I'd made a damn good choice.

The only bad thing I have ever read about this preamp is the inboard phono preamp is not as good as a $6,000.00 outboard one. I don't have a $6,000.00 one to compare it to so all I can say is it sounds very good to me.

I know this don't help much but in the circles I run around in most would take the c22 any day over the modern c2200. Personally I've always wanted to try a c2300. Mainly because of the MC input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did.

I had a C20 which I really enjoyed, then looked for something more modern for all good reasons listed before me.

So at that time the C2200 was the latest, badest :yes:, tube preamp.
And Yes I agree with Beowulf that the C2200 is less tubey and sounds more like a modern clean crisp preamp. But I didn't not regret my choice, as this preamp was a step up.

Since then I upgraded it with a C2500 and this preamp beats the C2200 no question. I can't tell for the C2300.

So in conclusion, go for a C2300 or a C2500 (if you need a DAC).

Had a C2200 for several years. Took advantage of the McIntosh (thank you) trade-in program to get a C2300 and never looked back. Either will suit you well - the C2300 has the MC phono preamp that performs incredibly well. Unless you are going to climb into the stratosphere of $5000 + phono cartridges, it does quite well, thank you. The LED lighting is a big plus.

If you are a tube purist, the C2200 is the one for you. The C2300 has a SS MC phono section and SS output buffers. So it is a hybrid where the C2200 is all tube.

Tom

C2200 if you have an external phono pre
C2300 if you don't have an external pre and/or want to use the MC input
C2500 if you'd like to have an internal DAC

It's all good :)

I'm looking at both these units and was unware about the SS sections in the 2300. How would that change the sound, if any from the 2200 do you think?
His post isn't entirely accurate, tubes are involved in both the MM and MC phono stages, though they are indeed hybrid.

If you are a tube purist, the C2200 is the one for you. The C2300 has a SS MC phono section and SS output buffers. So it is a hybrid where the C2200 is all tube.

Tom

Actually Tom...the C2200 also has SS output buffers. Still sounds very good mind you. New York Audio Labs also made some great Tube/SS preamps and amps...Harvey Rosenberg (R.I.P.) liked mosfets with tubes.

Douglas

Thanks for the correction, Douglas. I was not 100% sure and should not have relied on my memory! Having a low output impedance of SS buffers is a good thing, I think. Makes cable interaction less of an issue.
Tom

Thanks for the correction, Douglas. I was not 100% sure and should not have relied on my memory! Having a low output impedance of SS buffers is a good thing, I think. Makes cable interaction less of an issue.
Tom

Right on Tom:thmbsp:...low output impedance also allows much easier system matching, particularly with low input impedance amplifiers. McIntosh is all about great music, great engineering...and long life:tresbon:

Douglas

Back
Top Bottom