MC275 with a SS pre???

kitjunkie

I recently picked up an MC275 V. This is something I've been jones'n for...for a long time. I am now searching for a preamp. I was quite certain that I was going to get a c2200 or possibly a c2300. During my search, I keep coming up on SS pre's such as c45, c46, c48. Is anyone running one of these with a 275? If so, which one and why? I'm curious about real-world examples. Does a SS pre mask the beauty of the 275? Should I be running a tube pre to get the most synergy with the amp?

My needs are purely 2 channel with MM phono.

Would love some thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

SS preamps work great with any McIntosh tube amp, current or past models. I use a MX151 with mine.

thanks,
Ron-C

You don't need to go that extreme with a new Mc pre, even with a newer generation Mc275. Save yourself some money and go with a C34V or even a C24. Or if you want the bees knees, get a C22. You don't need to go all out with something so modern.

It realy doesn't matter as it's best for tube sound to be in the power amp oppossed to the other way around.

By the way the new 275s sound so clean they dont sound all that tubie anyway.

What kind of speakers are you going to be driving?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

4-2-7, I will be driving a pair of Harbeth P3-ESR's along with a REL T9 sub. The sub has it's own 300 watt amp built-in.

I've run my MC60s ( not toooooo far of from your amp, but in 2 pieces...) with a c24, and it was quite a good setup, but I've eventually turned to other non-Mac SS preamps.
Maybe I'll go back - the journey is the destination, and all the gear is still the basement...

Ran a 275 V5 with a Modwright pre and it was great ... tested out a Krell PAM 3 and it was even better. I thought the SS pre added a little to the detail but couldn't quite swing the $$$ at the time. I have some regret, but found another path. I think you're on the right path.

It's a great amp ... I miss it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

4-2-7, I will be driving a pair of Harbeth P3-ESR's along with a REL T9 sub. The sub has it's own 300 watt amp built-in.

Ok cool you'll be over powering them a bit, your amp is really 90wpc and not just 75wpc.

MC275 V is a very quiet amp, that is it has a high signal to noise ratio. You will need a modern McIntosh preamp if you want to maintain this S/N ratio without compromise in a MC275V system.
Preamps are about performance and features. Think about the sources you use today and that you might use in the future since these preamps are long life, maybe lifetime instruments. The preamp you chose should match your dream system.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I ended up pulling the trigger on a C2200. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again.

I ran my 275's with C-22 AND 28 AND BRIEFLY A C-29. I preferred the 29. i would stay away from the older tube pre-amps as they need a real high load impedance the new 275's don't provide loading down the pre-amp, raisong distortion and effecting frequency response. You can use old amps with new pre-amps, tube or SS. But with the new tube units I would agree you should use the newer pre-amps. Tube or SS. I prefer the SS, but thats me. I will say A C500T is outstanding, but doesn't have tone controls.

Back
Top Bottom