The Official KEF 105 Owners Registry

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I've been reading most any thread that comes up about the older KEF speakers to learn more about them, and today
I saw there was a model R107 registry - and they suggested owners of the Model 105s should start their own registry.

I didn't see that anyone had started one before, so I figured I ought to.
There were at least 3 versions of the 105 series in this configuration [Bass cube and steerable mid-high top cabinet).

The official KEF History pages (as of Mar 22, 2014) are linked here:

The Reference Series Model 105 (1077-79)
http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/museum/1970s/Reference_Series_105/index.html

The Reference Series Model 105.2 (1979087)
http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/museum/1970s/Reference_Series_105.2/index.html

The Reference Series Model 105.4
http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/museum/1980s/Reference_Series_105.4/index.html

Update - I did find a link for a 105/3 I had seen referenced on AK - buts a different physical configuration-
http://www.kef.com/html/us/explore/about_kef/museum/1980s/Reference_Series_105_3/index.html

Original 105 Model has a single 12 inch woofer, 105.2 is similar, 105.4 has 2 8 inch woofers

Attachments

• KEF-105.jpg
    KEF-105.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 84
  • KEF-1052.jpg
    KEF-1052.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 85
  • KEF-1054.jpg
    KEF-1054.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I'm very happy with the 105.4 speakers I bought from JJohnson Feb 19th.
I just recapped them over the weekend and they are stunningly good now.

Mine are s/n 1142A and 1142B. There is no Kube with this series.

More info on my pair in the thread here -
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=576854

attachment.php

Last edited:
wow - VERY nice looking KEFs! Great looking system too!

Thanks Heather, have just had these 105 for a couple of months, picked them up at a local auction, said to have come from a storage locker. The Kef’s came with original owner manual, warranty cards with speaker serial numbers, product brochure and original spare fuse packets.
I read with interest you recapping endeavor. Well documented and your 105.4 look very nice. I’m sure they sound equally well with your upgrade. Have read 105.4 have a different, to some possible a better sound as compared to the 105. A comparison I hope to make of my own should I get the opportunity.
Enjoy em.

I have KEF 105.2 s/N 1856A & B.
I've just reassembled them, past weekend after receiving rebuilt woofers.
I'll write the thread about my impressions in speaker section.
Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Another 105.1 owner here. My pair didn't come as a complete system though. Procured drivers separately, mid/high boxes in a poor state but complete with crossovers and tiltable stands and the bass cabinets and hoods came from a good gentleman from Germany who masterfully packed these in three boxes so they arrived intact.

After a lot of care to the mid-hi boxes and an overhaul of the liners and foam in the bass box, a set was assembled. They sound great but I know they will sound better once I recap the crossovers.

They are gorgeous! I'd love to listen to a pair of them someday, to see if yours play the deeper notes my 105.4s lack ....

Hope you don't mind me copying your pictures here - they look very nice!

I have KEF 105.2 s/N 1856A & B.
I've just reassembled them, past weekend after receiving rebuilt woofers.
I'll write the thread about my impressions in speaker section.
Regards,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks buddy.

Would you guys recommend oiling the cabs with linseed oil as I did with AR-3a cabs?

They're in a mint condition but you can tell the wood has aged over 30+ yrs.

I wiped mine down with Howards Orange Oil. Its the same thing I've used on all the JBLs I've owned, including the L200s next to my KEF 105.4
I also have Howards Feed and Wax - but I generally use that once, after the initial oiling has worked in.

Thanks. Sounds like the typical AR speakers cabs restoration method. The linseed should work then. When the weather gets better my 105s will have an oil bath!

Count me in with the 105.1... love the sound, purchased a set of matching caps from Falcon Acoustics in the UK but haven't recapped them yet... really need to find some time to see if there is an improvement.

Count me in with the 105.1... love the sound, purchased a set of matching caps from Falcon Acoustics in the UK but haven't recapped them yet... really need to find some time to see if there is an improvement.

I can say with 100% certainty it will improve the sound. The only reason I could see it not is if you don't do a proper comparison between then and now.. but regardless you should hear an improvement. Just make sure you do one, and then A/B it against the original. I say this based on my experience recapping Kef 107s, Kef 104/2s, Kef 103/3s, IMFs and Celestions, all of them using either Elcaps (which are what is in your 105.1s) or Alcaps. And this is also based on my readings of what other owners have experienced with their Kefs/IMFs/etc.

Is anyone out there running their 105's with a tube power amp... have been toying with the idea of building a VTA STA-120 tube amp with KT-120 power tubes... I know a lot of people like the results of the 105's and a quality SS power amp... the original owner I purchased from a while back likes them with a PS Audio PS-200CX power amp - been keeping an eye out for one of these with no luck... thanks in advance.

Is anyone out there running their 105's with a tube power amp... have been toying with the idea of building a VTA STA-120 tube amp with KT-120 power tubes... I know a lot of people like the results of the 105's and a quality SS power amp... the original owner I purchased from a while back likes them with a PS Audio PS-200CX power amp - been keeping an eye out for one of these with no luck... thanks in advance.

I recently assembled my 105.2's and plan to power them with MC60's. I've briefly played them but one amp needs recap (hopefully next weekend) so I have no define opinion yet. I did like what I've heard, though.
But I can say my listening session with 60 WPC SS Adcom amp was really impressive.

Back
Top Bottom