I picked up these Pioneer SE-50s today. Anyone know how to crack em open?

AintBeenDead

Been wanting vintage phones for a very long time. Found these at Goodwill for $8 :)

Only issue is, lots of static in the pots. Need to get at them, but not sure how to open these safely. Anyone have experience?

Attachments

• IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 20
Carefully work the ear pads off.
Then there are a couple small screws if I remember right.
Its pretty straightforward but juggling the headphones is always a handful.
There may be a little glue involved but they come apart OK.

The hardest part is getting the ear pads back on. Some sort of smooth tool helps. I have a dental pick that is not sharp and is hooked. It takes some time and patience.

There are pots inside to clean.

Great headphones once you get the pots cleaned up.

Thanks for the tips guys, both got me where I needed to be :)

Not too hard to open, just three screws under the lip of the padding. Pots needed those plastic caps pulled back a bit. And I recommend covering everything else with a rag, as the DeOx is gonna get everywhere otherwise. Tiny, tiny sprays. And obviously the cord side doesn't allow for complete removal, but more than enough slack for me to get to the pots.

Cleaned em' up great, no more static!

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Great info. I have the same pair of phones with case and manual. I think I paid $7 at a yard sale. Been waiting for advice on how to clean the pots. Thanks.:thmbsp:

Sorry, thought I posted pics too, must have forgot to save the window (sure love AK, but this interface is older than most the gear we listen to :) )

I actually took out the tweeters and the pots when cleaning, made the job much easier. There are tiny screws hiding under the alu plaques on the knobs that keep the pots in place.

Interesting headphones, I wouldn't call them great, but certainly better than headphones from the era that used paper cones only. Heavy buggers, too. They do look nice hanging on a rack next to a 1970s receiver (which is why I keep them).

Back
Top Bottom