What does the Remote Control Translator really do?

bg3009

I am a little confused as to what the RCT really does. Does it enable me to control other IR enable devices, like my TV etc? Or does it work with devices that have a Data in connection?

You put in to it all your IR codes. You then can create inputs that trigger these codes in sequences to do a task. This output can by by hardwire or Ir flasher.

I use the RCT4 and it allows me to control my other devices with the McIntosh remote. Here is the manual:

Attachments

• RCT4.PDF
    561.3 KB · Views: 44
But hardwire would be a data input into the equipment wouldn't it? For example, would I be able to control a tape deck with a DIN remote plug with it?

But hardwire would be a data input into the equipment wouldn't it? For example, would I be able to control a tape deck with a DIN remote plug with it?

The RCT-4 is programmed to match the remote commands from your component remote to keys on the McIntosh remote. The RCT-4 will also directly transmit remote commands from your other components' remotes as a repeater. The RCT-4 is connected to the data out port on the McIntosh preamplifier or control center that corresponds to the component you wish to control. When that source is selected, commands are sent to the RCT-4 for translation and transmission or direct transmission as a repeater, either to an IR emitter/flasher or a data output port on the RCT-4. This port could be connected to your component Data IN for control. The port is either Hi-Lo or Lo-Hi (check the manual) and if you have a DIN Data IN connector on your component, you would need to make up a special cable with a stereo mini plug at one end and a correctly wired DIN connector at the other end.

The MSI 1 might be necessary depending upon the IR requirements of your component.

Last edited:
I think the MSI-1 has more to do with the type of digital signals being sent - serial vs. parallel.

An adapter cable would not address this.

Larry

Ok, now I see that McIntosh has made quite a few types of remote devices and translators, many of which are not in production. Does anyone have an R626 FS?

Back
Top Bottom