Klispchorn Mod Angled Baffle- Eliptrac 400 ? V-trac?

Markus111

Big Horns & Many Tubes
Subscriber
After a decade in storage, it's time to knock the dust off of my Khorns. I put these away 10 years ago in a fit of frustration, as they simply did not work well in my room. But the mighty khorns have been calling from the storage room, and I finally gave in and brought them back out. My wife got to shake her finger at me and say "I knew this day would come".

So for the last decade I've been designing and building my own speakers, and have had some excellent successes. I've also added a significant amount of room treatment, and tweaked the rest of my system to the point that I was very pleased with my sound. So now it's time to screw something up so I can fix it again :D

I've attached a few diagrams below. The first is a picture of the room, showing that everything just barely fits. It does double duty as a theater, so it's important that the sound can be configured for both. What is not shown is that it is also an L-shaped room (I'm standing in the L). There may be nothing more evil than an L-shaped room. It took a lot of work and room treatment to get rid of the annoying modes and achieve a decent stereo image without having the speakers out in the middle of the room. I had a horrible mode right at 250 Hz that I was finally able to squash with bass traps. Also the walls are wood, and it was pretty lively before treatment.

The fundamental difficulty with the khorns is that they were spaced pretty closely together. So the sweet spot was several feet in front of the seats. Because of the movie screen, as well as the limited width of the room, full size false corners were not an option. Tucking these tightly into the corners I have is the only way to go.

Now for the mod. Since I last had these out, there have been some very good looking mid-horn replacements that have hit the market. I've always been leery of the k400 horn, as it beams like a flashlight, and can be pretty shrill on top of that. I've been reading some great reviews of the eliptrac 400 horn, and also the v-trac horn. What I would like to do is use one of the newer horns that uses a 2" driver. They are considerably shorter than the k400, and that would allow me to try something that I only dreamed of 10 years ago. I would like to angle the horn baffle so that it points more directly into the room. This would allow me to keep the bass bins tightly coupled into the corners, while directing the mid and tweet horns more toward the seating arrangement. I'm envisioning building a wrap-around grill that has no baffle board that will fit in the top hat and look like stock from the front. Behind the grill, I would have the two horns angled about 15 degrees pointing forward. If you look at the two diagrams, you will see what I mean. The first is top-view of the khorn containing an eliptrac 400 and a JBL 2404. It looks like there is plenty of space to fit the new baffle in the top hat. The second diagram shows the setup in my room. The blue lines represent the "sound" shooting straight out from the stock khorn. The red lines are shooting straight out from the angled baffle. The red lines are how I typically toe-in box speakers, where they cross just in front of the seating. This seems to sound best in this room.

So - I had a couple of questions. First - has anyone tried something similar? My one big concern is diffraction created by moving the baffle inside of the top hat. I was thinking that putting acoustic foam above and below the horn mouth might help to counteract any negative effects. The second question is has anyone tried the eliptrac horns? What do you think? I've read many good things, but before I march down a path that might lead me astray, I'd ask for any opinions.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• klipsch-1.jpg
    klipsch-1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 183
  • khorn mod.jpg
    khorn mod.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 101
  • khorn mod room.jpg
    khorn mod room.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 105
Neat project! FYI, you can unbolt the top hats, allowing you to rotate them outward if they're too close together. It looks different, obviously, but it's what I do. This is for later models; I'm not sure you can do this with the early versions. That way, the bass bin can stay coupled in the corner. Anyhow, keep us updated!

Neat project! FYI, you can unbolt the top hats, allowing you to rotate them outward if they're too close together. It looks different, obviously, but it's what I do. This is for later models; I'm not sure you can do this with the early versions. That way, the bass bin can stay coupled in the corner. Anyhow, keep us updated!

I can unbolt the top hats, and there might be enough room to rotate them. I actually did consider that. But I'm really wanting to try one of the newer mid horns - I've read so many good things about them.

For the first time in ten years, I had these out and working again. I got them all squared away in the corners, put an album on, and then sat down. As soon as the needle dropped, I was floored. I forgot how much fun these things are! I felt like I was back sitting in the pavilion at Pine Knob Music Theater (Now, it's DTE Energy theater, which I've always thought was a stupid name). In any case, I forgot how khorns could make you feel like you were right at the venue again. I'll probably draw up a parts list and start ordering components. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy listening to some music and getting a "baseline" so I have something to compare to.

have you considered time aligning your tweeter to the mid horn? Best regards Moray James.

Hi Moray,

Purely by serendipity, the mid and tweeter horns will be in pretty good time alignment as it is. They should be close enough that they don't present too much of an obstacle for designing a passive network. Please take a look at the dashed line. The woofers are of course another matter - that generally takes a digital delay to deal with the difference in path length.

Mark

Attachments

• khorn time align.jpg
    khorn time align.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 56
On mine (Volti horn, BMS driver, Beyma tweeter and North Reading Networks) I disconnected the tophats attached a cut to size piece of 1/2 inch veneer stained plywood to top of base bin to seal it . This allows you to spin the tophat to align with your listening position while keeping the integrity of the base bin in the corners.
Works for me.

On mine (Volti horn, BMS driver, Beyma tweeter and North Reading Networks) I disconnected the tophats attached a cut to size piece of 1/2 inch veneer stained plywood to top of base bin to seal it . This allows you to spin the tophat to align with your listening position while keeping the integrity of the base bin in the corners.
Works for me.

That's an interesting idea - I'll have to consider that. How do you like the Volti setup? It's very tempting to buy his pre-made baffle and horn. Was it a big improvement over stock?

Mark

Volti

Simple answer is yes I love the Voltis. Getting to Klipshorn Nirvana however has been tough. I've been through almost every mod out there. Stock, ALK, Crites etc. The 2 best changes were 1) Going to the Volti wood 2" horn with
2" BMS Drivers and 2) North Reading Engineering Networks. The Klipschorns really open up with the 2" setup. The stock 1 1/2 set up doesn't match up IMO.
North Reading Produced a set of networks that sound wonderful and full at any listening level. NRE worked with me on my setup and even came to my house to tweek them. After years of fiddling I finally have the speakers I have been searching for.
I run the Horns through a pair of MC 30's and a mx110.

Peter

Thanks for the excellent review of the Volti setup. I'm sure that sounds incredible - the man clearly does some extraordinary work. The North Reading crossovers look pretty amazing as well. In the end, after much thought (?) I decided to go with the Eliptrac horn from Dave Harris. I really like the idea of a horn with no sharp angles. I also am a true glutton for punishment, and almost always default to the DIY angle. I received the blanks for the horns, and just commenced the gluing. Let the fun begin!

Mark

Attachments

• eliptrac-2.jpg
    eliptrac-2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 105
  • eliptrac-1.jpg
    eliptrac-1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 98
It's been slooooowwwww going, but I'm starting to make some progress. Sanding and painting these was pretty tough. I think Mr. Harris offers quite a service for providing them built, sanded, and base coated for only $200 more. I guess if you do enough of these, you can get fairly quick at it. At least quicker than I am......

Mark

Attachments

• eliptrac-4.jpg
    eliptrac-4.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 95
  • eliptrac-6.jpg
    eliptrac-6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 88
  • eliptrac-5.jpg
    eliptrac-5.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 105
Coming along.........

I used Brazilian walnut to make the frames, and got the whole assembly placed on the bass bin. It looks like there will be plenty of room with these to rotate the top hats. Now to take some measurements and begin the crossover work.

Attachments

• eliptrac-11.jpg
    eliptrac-11.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 80
  • eliptrac-10.jpg
    eliptrac-10.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 100
  • eliptrac-9.jpg
    eliptrac-9.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 72
  • eliptrac-8.jpg
    eliptrac-8.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 89
  • eliptrac-7.jpg
    eliptrac-7.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for the compliment! The tweeters are the B&C DE10, which seem to be highly recommended in many places. The mid drivers are Eminence PSD 3006, which Dave has tested on these horns and has lots of good things to say. I'll be testing and running crossover sims for the next couple of weeks, so we'll see how everything shakes out.

Lot's of travelling this summer. Right now, I'm between trips, and got a chance to measure everything and do some crossover sims. I haven't done any listening yet, as I want to get a network together first. As far as measurement, the short answer is that the PSD3006 on the eliptrac measures pretty good, and is definitely workable. There is a response peak at 2500 that has to be dealt with, but otherwise it is pretty straightforward. The surprise and delight was the B&C DE10 - ME10 combo. That tweeter horn measures beautifully, and is very easy to work with. The bass bin is of course a challenge. I used the Klipsch AK4 as well as the North Reading networks as inspiration. I noticed that both of them try to flatten out the bass bin response. I used a similar approach, and the sim looks pretty good. It should really fill out the bass. The only problem is that it also dips the impedance down to just above 2 ohms at the lowest point. With the miniscule amount of power that these things take, it shouldn't cause much of a problem, but I will probably play around with it a bit more once the network is put together. Shown in the pictures are the projected response of the network, plus the raw measured response of each driver. Hopefully I will get a chance to build something up before I'm travelling again, but this could be a slow go.......

Mark

Attachments

• 400 4th 4k 2nd frequency.jpg
    400 4th 4k 2nd frequency.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bass bin raw.jpg
    bass bin raw.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PSD3006 Eliptrac Raw.jpg
    PSD3006 Eliptrac Raw.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DE10 Raw.jpg
    DE10 Raw.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 14
How are things going with the Eminence mid drivers? Have you compared them to the original K55 with adapters? I'm curious about trying the PSD3006 as an alternative to the more expensive but highly recommend BMS. I'm using Crites A/4500 crossovers on Vtrac horns and Beyma tweeters.

Getting close.....

Here is the nearly finished crossover board. It's been a slow go, as I've been travelling every other week. I should be able to test, measure, evaluate in a few days.....

Mark

Attachments

• khorn-xover.jpg
    khorn-xover.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom