brewing

The all-grain is just lounging in the fermenter. I'm going to put in the dry hop addition this weekend when I get home from work travel then bottle it next weekend. Assuming, that is, I'm not off on some other adventure.

I'm bottling today and am curious; how many times do you guys re-use the Grolsch seals(assuming you use them)? Seems to me I remember it's 4,or 5.

I have only a dozen 1L fliptops that I use for 3g batches of apfelwein. Since the caps stay on for a long time and the number of bottles is low, I replace the gaskets every time.

Not sure what the standard practice is otherwise.

I think I had 3 on them, but replaced them anyway. Every time I bottle, or more specifically clean, I tell my self, I gotta start kegging. The killer is, I gave away all my brew stuff, including keg equip. (4 kegs) when we moved from D.C. to Sarasota.

Got the dry hops in today.

Have thought about getting a kegging setup myself. Would cut at least two weeks off any brew cycle vs. bottling. OTOH, I think it might lead to drinking a lot more beer too. Bottling acts sorta like a throttling valve. :)

Got the dry hops in today.

Have thought about getting a kegging setup myself. Would cut at least two weeks off any brew cycle vs. bottling. OTOH, I think it might lead to drinking a lot more beer too. Bottling acts sorta like a throttling valve. :)

And the problem with that would be?............ As far as cutting the time down, when I kegged, I only used the CO2 to push the beer out, not carbonate. So It still was 2 weeks. Even without a keg, I drink lots of beer!

And the problem with that would be?............

My beer belly doesn't need to get any bigger. :D

I don't mind bottling too much as long as I've done a good job cleaning the bottles as I go. As you well know, it's much more tedious if you have to de-label and clean gunk out of them. Have enough empties on-hand and clean as I go so that's seldom the case.

Also, a vinator has sped things up a good bit in the sanitizing department: http://youtu.be/K9u0cIERnuQ

I usually do ~12 in a sanitize-fill cycle. Sanitize the 12 then by the time done with the last one, there has been plenty of contact time on the first so fill in the same order. Then I loosely set the sanitized cap on each bottle after it's filled. After the 12 are filled I go back and cap each one in the order of fill. Allegedly, this gives a little time for some of the CO2 still in suspension to help push out some of the air/oxygen from the headspace in the bottle, helping to reduce the oxidation potential.

Last edited:
I'll have to check that out. As big a pain as it is, I still make certain everything is sanitized. I've been using Star San, with good results. I've got 2 cases of 12 oz. empties, and 2 of the Grolsch, so I'm good-to-go.

Ah, a brewing thread. I started brewing about 8 years ago (when i thought my tube stereo was 'finished'). Started with extract kits, got very involved with my local homebrew club. I had some excellent results, always direct to keg - never have bottled. Got involved with yeast ranching. Went to the National Homebrew Conference a few years back, met John Palmer. Later met Charlie P when he came to visit our homebrew club.

Started gearing up for all grain then wound up out of work for a while. Started getting depressed about my equipment and what I'd have to spend to do it right. Ended up getting back into audio for a while - found I couldn't really support both hobbies properly. I haven't brewed since last year on National Homebrew Day, but I'm planning on going to a Big Brew this Saturday - a year is too long to go between batches! I have a new 15-gal tank to use as a fermenter and want to do a Pliney clone.

Every time I bottle, or more specifically clean, I tell my self, I gotta start kegging. The killer is, I gave away all my brew stuff, including keg equip. (4 kegs) when we moved from D.C. to Sarasota.

Have not bottled in 20 years even though I have a very nice Zahm & Nagle handfiller.

9000hf_sm.jpg

Will be racking my DARK REIGN APA later into 2 3gal. kegs.
It's a black pale ale standardized to 4.8 %ABV.
I'll carb it to 2.2 Vol. Co2
Brewed on 4/19/14 ready to drink on 5/2/14 =14 days :smoke:

Got the Chinook all-grain bottled up. FG ended up at 1.010 so it'll be 5.7% ABV.

Sample smells and tastes great. Nice hop aroma and flavor, good bittering. Can't wait to try a bottle in a couple weeks!!

Sounds like you'll have a winner there. I just discovered we have a brewery in town; Big Top Brewery, Sarasota. I'll have to check them out.

Been thinking recently just how easy it would be to 'borrow' some nice Belgian yeast strains, especially with all the bottle conditioned Belgian brews out there it would be quite simple really. :yes:

It is easy but it's really not simple.
You don't always know what yeast was used in bottling.
You can't know what else came along for the ride without a full lab.
What condition are the yeast in?
How old is the beer?

Although it is easy there are risks.It takes a little skill and a lot of luck
to do this at home.Do some research and don't be afraid to give it a try.

I have done this many times with Rouge Pacman as my favorite.

Simon Bar Sinister Underdog

Boy, does that bring back memories. Speaking of tasting glass's, I used mine to try my Plinian Legacy IPA; man, does it have some ass to it. Clear your day-book if you start drinking it. Today, I'm brewing the Chinook IPA. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom