Stealth a/d/s/ on Okla City Cl.

Looks like a very disrespected pair of 1090's. No respect at all I tell ya. I'd snag 'em in a second for $50 or less.

dude! They're sitting on the baseplates, you can sell a pair of those alone for $50!

I think you're right, hard to be sure but judging by the ratio of woofer diameter to mid mounting plate, those should be L1090's.

John

No respect, indeed. Dented drivers from top to bottom, looks like damage to the cabinet on one and it looks like they are in storage in a garage, not gracing someone's listening room - shame.

I was unable to fight the strong temptation associated with the current flare up of my audio disease.... I fired off an email to the seller.

They are 100 miles away, and I am crazy busy this weekend so the logistical odds are against me. Plus, would need to get the wife on board. I'll let you know what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

They are early L1290 models. The cabs are actually decent, just need a good cleaning/conditioning. The grills need some work and the drivers without a doubt need some luvin'.

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 95
Hopefully someone here got them. L1290 series I, wonder if there was a lil amplifier hiding on the back! lol ... that said you could send all the drivers to Richard So have them made as new and STILL be under market for a "used " pair !

I would sure like a pair and this price looked really good. (heck, any large pair of ADS would do this badger.)
Hopefully an AK'r sorecd

Hopefully someone here got them. L1290 series I, wonder if there was a lil amplifier hiding on the back! lol ... that said you could send all the drivers to Richard So have them made as new and STILL be under market for a "used " pair !

That's the plan......No plate amp in these. Once they are spruced up, they will replace my L1230s for awhile so they can undergo some woodwork/base rebuild/lead shot fill job.

Yes. Congrats DG. I'm glad they went to a good home.

I don't think there is a large contingent from OK on AK. Good to know someone else is out there.

Congrats... glad my error on the model ID (I thought 1090) worked out as a plus on your end. I'm a big fan of the L1290, in either version.

Can you do me a favor? I'm curious how the baseplate to cabinet fit on those speakers is. I have a couple of pair of L1290/2 and both of them fit in the baseplates I bought separately, but they don't fit very tight - lot of slop in there. Has made me wonder whether I have L1590 baseplates, something home made, or if the factory didn't make then fit snug in the first place.

John

Congrats... glad my error on the model ID (I thought 1090) worked out as a plus on your end. I'm a big fan of the L1290, in either version.

Can you do me a favor? I'm curious how the baseplate to cabinet fit on those speakers is. I have a couple of pair of L1290/2 and both of them fit in the baseplates I bought separately, but they don't fit very tight - lot of slop in there. Has made me wonder whether I have L1590 baseplates, something home made, or if the factory didn't make then fit snug in the first place.

First things first: Thanks to sasmith4 for the heads up on these. I am always in the market for tower models to add to my collection. If I decide to part with these for some reason, I will extend you first dibs.

A/D/S/ L1290 Condition update:

Stands

Re: John....1590s would be 4 inches deeper and 2 inches wider than these, so they can't be from that model. I find these F-12 stands to be the very same as you mentioned, sloppy fit, even factory installed as these were (odd that only 3 of 4 screws on each speaker were used. The 4th countersunk hole in the stand on each had never had a screw put in and no hole was ever in the speaker bottom from a removed glide.) The area for the speaker base to fit into is 3/8 from fitting on one side and nearly 1/4 on the other side from the factory, but front to back, they nearly fill the routed hole. If I didn't know better, I would say these are from another vendor entirely and routed/retrofitted. That is my guess. My stands are of a much lesser density fiber board than the cabs are too, so the bottom edges fray easy. The enamel on the base is uber thick too so it comes off in chunks. Lots of work just to get them back up in shape. Once I have them refurbed, I would be glad to give dimensions to all interested, or commission someone to make some, as they do help make a tall speaker more stable and they fill out the look of the bottom of the cab. IMO...

Cabinets:

The cabs are actually clean with the exception of one gouge in the side of one speaker that was never shown in pics. I will work with someone to repair this veneer as it is into the MDF. The cabs have no fading on the bottom half as most you see after 30+ years of sun/fluorescent lighting. They actually look like walnut unlike the oak-like appearance of those faded ones. The veneer connection/amp cover is missing as most are of this age and I most likely will leave it uncovered or go black ABS. The cabs are covered along the sides and fronts with what looks like scratches, but must actually be scuffs from brown painted chair legs rubbing over them. The scuffs come off with a finger nail, no veneer damage.

Grills:

Bent up and cloth torn, but no problem to straighten as they are thick enough to respond to standard metal work. New felt/cloth backing and I haven't thought about the logo, either go stealth or locate some.

Drivers:

All four woofers need new dust caps (large/early version) as someone actually pushed these totally convex against the woofer, but no damage to the cones is apparent. All woofers perform nicely. Mids will need replaced as the sticky has been rubbed completely off of them about 1.5 inches in the middle of the dome (rubbed the dented in grills). Tweeters are unmolested and look and work good.

Crossovers:

I have yet to look into them to see what might need upgraded. If anyone has any ideas/preferences on what works, I will listen carefully. I have upgraded a couple pair of Polk SDAs over the past few years, but have yet to attempt this on my L1230s. Did A/D/S/ use better quality caps on their higher end models to begin with? I don't see as many mods.....

Overall Thoughts:

Once the work is done, they should be a 7/10 speaker, but for the $75 I gave the owner to hold them, I can't complain. I will be comparing them to my L1230s, Polk SDA 1Cs, and LSi 15s for mains powered by my Odyssey Stratos through by Audio Mirror PP1 tube preamp, Ariston RD40 TT or Marantz 8260 disc player.

Good sounds await....

First things first: Thanks to sasmith4 for the heads up on these. I am always in the market for tower models to add to my collection. If I decide to part with these for some reason, I will extend you first dibs.

You're welcome. I am glad they're going to get the care and feeding they deserve.
And thank you for that consideration. Karma, right?

Good luck on the restoration project.

I'm curious to know how they compare to 1230's.

Thank you for those details on the bases... matches what I have here 100%, down to the flaky particle board and fraying edges. I'm leaning towards a quick sand & bondo job followed by respray on these.

John

Two bolts holding the intact base snugly to the 1290s up here:)
Do those bases have bevels at all four corners?

Mine do, yes... they aren't attached though, I picked them up separately from my two sets of speakers.

John

Back
Top Bottom