Vintage Magnavox console

jeeptree

I just picked up a Magnavox console the other day This is my first experience with any vintage audio equipment. I would like to sand it down and stain the wood darker. but before I do any work to the cabinet my Girlfriend wants me find out if we have a demand in the rough. From what I have found online these are a dime a dozen. what is your take?

Tubes are worth more than solid state, in general. I'm guessing by the picture that it is tubes and stereo. We need more information on what you have such as model number, chassis number, and a picture of the electronics inside would be good.

Is it worth money? Maybe a small amount. Is it worth restoring to keep and enjoy? Depends if it works and you like the sound.

They are a Dime A Dozen. Tube models will sell. Solid state models will not sell at any price unless it is a top of the line model that is loaded with great gear inside.Even if it is a great solid state model, people will gut it and burn the wood while they sell the guts on ebay.

What was I thinking posting this without info??? noobs these days.

Model# 2ST259-K
Finish: DWAL
Cabnit JC-0-39
693479-204

Amp is a 8601-10 and I am in the stages of recapping it, Along with the tuner (59-1400).

Everything works when I brought it home. I cleaned and lubed the turntable. all the Tubes have Magnivox on them and everything inside amps looks un-tapered with. I explained to My Girlfriend that I believe there's more value it the electronics then the cabinet. But it all works so as of right now and sounds great for a 60 year old peace of equipment its priceless in her Eyes.

Looks like a nice little console there. Does it need to be refinished? Maybe use some Howards restor-a-finish on it?

Dose it need to be refinished?? not really. their are a few scrapes and scratches but nothing horrible. I wanted to take it to a darker finish. I will look in to that Restor-a-finish. maybe put it on the back somewhere and see what that dose to the wood first.

It almost looks painted on the sides, the wood grain panels you see in the front look to be laminated.

If it's tube, hang onto it. No, it's not worth a whole lot, but those Maggie tube consoles sound pretty good; if you have room for it, give it a good home. But, no, you're not going to get rich reselling consoles, tube amp notwithstanding. Looks nice, though. I wouldn't mess with it too much.

Thanks for the info and thoughts guys. My gf thought I had found a peace of gold. For me its still a peace of gold however not for resale, but to bring it into our home and throw some records on.

As for refinishing it. I think I will hold off on that for now and just get it recapped, and brought in to the house. We are fortunate enough to have plenty of room in our house for this little Maggie.

Old English Scratch Cover For Dark Wood plus some Old English Lemon Oil would make that cabinet shine and probably darken things up at the same time. A lot less expensive and time-consuming than refinishing and the results can be beautiful.

FWIW, I was a console hoarder because I couldn't stand the idea of them going to the curb or getting chopped into firewood when many times the cabinets are incredible pieces of furniture. I now have a contact for the ones that are mid-century modern styled; he refurbs the electronics and makes them blue-tooth compatible, refinishes the cabinets to better than new and gets $695 for them on Etsy. While those are generally the tube models he will take a functioning SS and do the same.

@ broker I've seen some cabinets go on Ebay with Bluetooth. And got me thinking of doing that very thing with this. I will try the old English first.

@ Rust. Yeah that's the same thing just different finish. I got mine at the habitat for humanity for 55. And thanks to tom bavis who sent me a copy of the schematics, I was able to ordered the caps for 37. Through justradios.com with confidence I was getting what I needed.

in the end there's more wrapped up in electronic components then in the cabinet..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom