McIntosh MC2105

Vistance

What would be a fair price to pay for one of these with original box and paperwork in good condition with no rust that has recently been serviced by a McIntosh technician? I'm considering buying one, but not sure what I should offer for it. I'd like to have an idea of its max fair price in case the seller comes back from my offer with a higher price to see if it's inline or not. Audiogon's blue book says $900 but seems inaccurate as they appear to be selling for more on the auction site rather regularly.

Depends on what you mean by good. Box and paperwork adds a lot. If it looks really good with no bubbles in the faceplate $1200 or so would be fair.

Ah, yes I realize good is a bit lacking in detail. Let's rate it a 9/10 cosmetically. I don't think it has any bubbling, might be a tad around the headphone jack but I can't really make it out. How much more does the wood cabinet add to the value? Seller said he thinks he has one that would fit it, but to "make an offer" if I'm interested in getting the cabinet too. I like the looks of the wood cabinet but not sure what it adds up to cost wise. I see them going for about $100-200 on their own depending on condition, but not sure if those prices might be inflated and that their value is less when actually included with the amp.

I'm going to side with the Audiogon BB on this one. E-bay prices are varied but mostly less than $1200. There was one that had been serviced and had the walnut cab that went for <$800 (at auction, not BIN). I certainly wouldn't pay over $1k locally.

Keep in mind there are many strata of what constitutes "good" or even "excellent" condition.

For example, "No rust" on the chassis is all well and good but is it mirror like, totally unscratched, pitted or marred in any way with perfect silk screened lettering? Marks on the faceplate rails, transformers and bottom plate? Meters cloudy? Bubbling in glass? Knobs marked? etc etc etc...

Collector grade condition with all original packaging and accompanying paperwork will often command values well in excess of "blue book".

We just sold one with new glass and serviced for $1000, I would think with clean case $1200 would be the most you should pay.

Back
Top Bottom