Technics relaunch

I never heard it so I can't say its better than the review. On the other hand, we've all seen the big advertisers get the good copy , perhaps (please read the word perhaps in this statement) maybe they didn't pay so they got mauled in copy. I'm not saying that happened. What I am saying , if you were in the market for a comparable product and you had the opportunity, I think you owe it to yourself to listen to one while auditioning the others. What's the worst that could happen? You don't buy it?

Technics new 2015 catalogue (from a hi-fi exhibition in a hotel in near by Bristol on Saturday). A pic of the chief engineer,Tetsuya Itani and some MRRP prices in £'s.
Surprisingly,the premium class SU-C700 integrated amp and SL-C700 CDP are fairly inexpensive,but only weigh in at just over 8 kg for the integrated and 5 kg for the CDP!

007_zpsqwral5bp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
006_zpsexgowjjq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Th WhatHifi review threw me off, but I have to say, this is a lot of amp for $1600 USD. Integrated amp, phono stage, built in DAC w/DSD support, all wrapped in an attractive, vu-meter package? What other integrated combines all those features for under $1600? Even still, the review is a bit worrisome, and while I know numbers aren't everything, the output power and THD specs being only given at one frequency (and not that great at that) vs full disclosure a-la NAD or McIntosh bothers me a bit.

"45 W + 45 W (1 kHz, T.H.D. 0.3%, 8 Ω, 20 kHz LPF) "

http://www.technics.com/us/products/c700/su-c700.html

Stil, it intrigues me enough to give it a listen if it's ever in a showroom near me.

The SU-G700 is coming. It's a step up from the SU-C700.
More power (still rated at 1KHz) and 4kg heavier. Power cons. written on the rear is 85W vs 73W.

asak_170113_technics-04.jpg

Looks like a Onkyo with meters:
hiend02.jpg

Why? From the power consumption you can atleast make some assumptions about the actual power compared to the competitors.
(That rate it at 20-20000Hz, THD 0.0X%, 8Ω)

More meaningless stats:
140W + 140W (1kHz, T.H.D. 0.5%, 4Ω, 20kHz LPF)
70W + 70W (1kHz, T.H.D. 0.5%, 8Ω, 20kHz LPF)

Why? From the power consumption you can atleast make some assumptions about the actual power compared to the competitors.
(That rate it at 20-20000Hz, THD 0.0X%, 8Ω)

More meaningless stats:
140W + 140W (1kHz, T.H.D. 0.5%, 4Ω, 20kHz LPF)
70W + 70W (1kHz, T.H.D. 0.5%, 8Ω, 20kHz LPF)

^^^ Terrible disappointment. It seems the new generation of junior engineers at Technics don't have any mojo. The old guys managed to get a few extra zeros after the comma. What happened ?

As far as I am concerned this is really bad, DOA, total no go.

I copy that. RIP.

I wouldnt take What HiFi as a gospal, they are the most biases mag in the world against Japanese and American gear, and even their own The UK, when they wanna push a favorite. Ive litterally heard 10 different speakers that they gave 4 stars and below, and they didnt have any of the problems they said, ive had more than a few of their 5 star award winners and products of the year and i didnt like all of them...even most of the guys on their forums are hip to their reviewing flavor...

Back
Top Bottom