Passive Pre - Phono Pre Question

TinEaredOne

I've been batting around the idea of getting a new preamp or fixing my Hafler SE100 for a few weeks, and had all but discounted the idea of a passive preamp because here's my setup....

AT PEQ3 phono pre: 150mV output
Rotel RB-1050 amp: 1V input sensitivity

What I read suggested that there's no way my phono pre could power my amp to "full power," so I tried an experiment and plugged the phono section directly into the amp... ear splitting levels in my rather small listening area.

So why is that? I was expecting it to not work at all, or be so soft that a passive pre would be out of the question. That has me confused. Should I, given my experiment, just order the Channel Islands VPC-3?

Thanks for whatever feedback those with more understanding of those numbers means can provide.

I've been batting around the idea of getting a new preamp or fixing my Hafler SE100 for a few weeks, and had all but discounted the idea of a passive preamp because here's my setup....

AT PEQ3 phono pre: 150mV output
Rotel RB-1050 amp: 1V input sensitivity

What I read suggested that there's no way my phono pre could power my amp to "full power," so I tried an experiment and plugged the phono section directly into the amp... ear splitting levels in my rather small listening area.

So why is that? I was expecting it to not work at all, or be so soft that a passive pre would be out of the question. That has me confused. Should I, given my experiment, just order the Channel Islands VPC-3?

Thanks for whatever feedback those with more understanding of those numbers means can provide.

The 1v input for your Rotel amp may be for it's full rated output. I don't know the math, But it may be 150 mv is still enough to get very loud. Also the 150 mv output of the source has a reference input. It may very well deliver far more than than that under the right conditions.

I accidentally connected my FM tuner directly to the power amp once, And while not delivering the ear splitting levels you got, It played very loud too.

You might look for a used passive preamp you can sell later just to try out. If it works, sell it and buy the one you really want. I did some research on the subject myself, and it seems the preamp does more than just increase gain. It seems a good powered preamp is best for most. That said, My system sounded pretty good going directly from my CD player (It has a volume control) to the power amp, But would not power the amp to near full power.

Did the same thing about a year ago. I was curious about the passive thing. I was shocked at how well it worked in my system. I still have it. I'll find somewhere else to use it. Upgraded to a Luminous Audio Axiom ll. It has 2 outputs and 3 inputs. Pretty sweet.

Thanks. Good to know I am not unique, and that it worked out for you. If this works out well, I may follow up with you on why you think the Axiom II is better - I don't know that I want that information just now when I'm waiting for my new SYS. ;-)

If the SYS works out for you look into a used Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. I have used mine with amps from .75 to 1.4 V sensitivity with both MM and LOMC cartridges.

Thanks. Good to know I am not unique, and that it worked out for you. If this works out well, I may follow up with you on why you think the Axiom II is better - I don't know that I want that information just now when I'm waiting for my new SYS. ;-)
Sounds good. Let me know if you want any info. PM me if you have any questions.

And it works perfectly. It is a match. I still can't turn the volume up past 11 o'clock, so obviously my concerns about the phono pre / amplifier pairing were nothing. Balance is spot on, even at the lowest of volumes. Still getting used to it, but it immediately opened up top end detail. The bottom end is acceptable, but certainly nothing added there.

Probably, what I'm hearing now is what my gear sounds like, and it sounds good. I'm listing to the Amadeus sound track on vinyl right now, and getting a nice sense of the hall in which it was recorded.

I think I'll sit with this a while and enjoy it. YMMV, but I'm rather happy with my $83 purchase of the Schiit Sys and Pyst cables.

Back
Top Bottom